Shot Shows and Arms Fairs

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Shot Shows and Arms Fairs

Post by Woden » 14 Aug 2021, 1:45 pm

Not sure where to put this topic - apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I've had my longarm licence for nearly a year and just earned my PPL so I'm waiting for the obligatory 6 months before I can get my first pistol PTA. My mate is in the same boat.

We were keen on attending Shot Shows and Arms Fairs around NSW with our newfound interest in all things shooting but this Covid-19 pandemic has locked down everything. So we've never had the pleasure of the experience.

For those who have can I ask the following questions?

1. Can you handle firearms if licenced to do so?
2. Are firearms for sale at Shot Shows or Arms Fairs?
3. Does FAR usually attend and can you organise through them a PTA for the purposes of purchasing a new or 2nd-hand firearm for sale at the venue(I understand this may be a stupid question considering the mandatory 28-day checking period for 1st time PTA applicants but it shouldn't make a difference to those who have already been checked...you'd think)?
4. Can you buy ammunition at these events?

I hope someone can enlighten me. Super keen for lockdowns to be over so my mate and I can go to one of these. I just hope it isn't all look but don't touch/buy.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Shot Shows and Arms Fairs

Post by rc42 » 14 Aug 2021, 6:21 pm

Unfortunately I can only respond about QLD arms fairs but they will likely be similar.

1. Can you handle firearms if licenced to do so?
Yes, as long as you ask first, just like visiting a gun store really.

2. Are firearms for sale at Shot Shows or Arms Fairs?
Yes, but you'll need a PTA before you take possession so you can pay on the day and reserve the firearm but won't be taking it home with you, just like visiting a gun store really.

3. Does FAR usually attend and can you organise through them a PTA for the purposes of purchasing a new or 2nd-hand firearm for sale at the venue(I understand this may be a stupid question considering the mandatory 28-day checking period for 1st time PTA applicants but it shouldn't make a difference to those who have already been checked...you'd think)?
I'd suspect not but this is more of a state specific question. In QLD, no.

4. Can you buy ammunition at these events?
Yes, as long as you are licensed. Just like visiting a gun store really.

Mostly the arms fairs seem to have collectables, memorabilia, gel blasters and replicas (depending on state) and a whole load of over-priced stuff that you can get cheaper at your local gun store anyway. Plus an ever increasing amount of crap that doesn't seem arms related at all.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 14 Aug 2021, 6:31 pm

With some proper planning you can In theory take guns home. If you know what you want to buy and from what dealer you can prearrange the PTAs and bring them in. I have even heard the rumour you can ring weapons licensing and leave the dealer section blank so they will issue the PTA with only the Category, action and calibre. Or in Queensland you can do a like for like swap of the same action and calibre. Dealers also have a direct line to weapons licensing so they could in theory speak to the authorised officer and get an approval over the phone and then an email sent in the approved form. Unlikely though. Although one ex copper got a PTA in 9 minutes.

The Toowoomba gun show is coming up September 11/12. Should have some good stuff there.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2021, 6:57 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote: Or in Queensland you can do a like for like swap of the same action and calibre.

The Toowoomba gun show is coming up September 11/12. Should have some good stuff there.

gotta love "like for like " . saves a lot of waiting and stuffing around :thumbsup:

looking forward to toowoomba myself :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 14 Aug 2021, 7:34 pm

bigrich wrote:gotta love "like for like " . saves a lot of waiting and stuffing around :thumbsup:

Buy a few old crappy 308s, 22s or whatever you like off used guns for around $200 each and keep them in reserve for when you want to like for like.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bigrich wrote:gotta love "like for like " . saves a lot of waiting and stuffing around :thumbsup:

Buy a few old crappy 308s, 22s or whatever you like off used guns for around $200 each and keep them in reserve for when you want to like for like.

not a bad idea , but at the moment i'm trying to cull the herd :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Woden » 15 Aug 2021, 10:23 am

Toowoomba sounds good but I am in the Feuhrer State (NSW) and can only go 5km from my home. They tell me it's for my own good...didn't Hitler and Stalin say something similar?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 15 Aug 2021, 1:17 pm

1. Can you handle firearms if licenced to do so? yes must show your licence
2. Are firearms for sale at Shot Shows or Arms Fairs? yes if you have a PTA for that class of firearm ( A/B/C /H /D)
only seen them at a few for advice only no pta Issued at shows they only take a lap top not hooked to their system.
4. Can you buy ammunition at these events? Yes must show your licence
look up Penrith Guns and militarily fair.
I normally take a few PTA with me if your into collecting its a fun day heaps of swords spears and Knives take my mrs she see things I miss last time was a stall selling camo gear she chuckling her head of at it she said never seen a need for camo knickers before was all female underwear
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 15 Aug 2021, 1:48 pm

pomemax wrote:1. Can you handle firearms if licenced to do so? yes must show your licence
2. Are firearms for sale at Shot Shows or Arms Fairs? yes if you have a PTA for that class of firearm ( A/B/C /H /D)
only seen them at a few for advice only no pta Issued at shows they only take a lap top not hooked to their system.
4. Can you buy ammunition at these events? Yes must show your licence
look up Penrith Guns and militarily fair.
I normally take a few PTA with me if your into collecting its a fun day heaps of swords spears and Knives take my mrs she see things I miss last time was a stall selling camo gear she chuckling her head of at it she said never seen a need for camo knickers before was all female underwear

Thanks for that info pomemax. Exactly what I was looking for!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 15 Aug 2021, 2:10 pm

Woden wrote:Toowoomba sounds good but I am in the Feuhrer State (NSW) and can only go 5km from my home. They tell me it's for my own good...didn't Hitler and Stalin say something similar?

I think it is very unfair to compare this Covid problem with the likes of Hitler and Stalin. Please just stick to the original post. We are all suffering from this pandemic.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 15 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

Bugman get off your high horse. I'm not comparing the people to the problem I'm comparing the people to the people. It's now a police state or are you hiding under a rock?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 15 Aug 2021, 3:09 pm

Remember in 1996 people were saying on TV Australia would become a police state. 25 years later the army is on the streets and people are told they are “non essential”...... I hope the Toowoomba gun show is not canceled.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 3:27 pm

Bugman wrote:
Woden wrote:Toowoomba sounds good but I am in the Feuhrer State (NSW) and can only go 5km from my home. They tell me it's for my own good...didn't Hitler and Stalin say something similar?

I think it is very unfair to compare this Covid problem with the likes of Hitler and Stalin. Please just stick to the original post. We are all suffering from this pandemic.

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 15 Aug 2021, 3:31 pm

Anyway. Lets just move on and talk about gun shows. I have saved a bit of fiat currency that I intend to spend at Toowoomba. I got a hotel booked for 2 nights.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2021, 3:34 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Remember in 1996 people were saying on TV Australia would become a police state. 25 years later the army is on the streets and people are told they are “non essential”...... I hope the Toowoomba gun show is not canceled.

the army has been on the streets many times during disasters and times of crisis . if they were armed , then some level of concern would be appropriate .if it was in the US , they probably would be :unknown:

back to the gun show , i'm thinking of haggling for a US cavalry sword a seller at belmont had . i already have a pre WW2 jap officers sword, this one is hand made with silver fittings but unsigned . the fella i got it from reckons 1920's to 1930's made

anyone got a push feed mod 70 30-06 mag box and follower ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 15 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

Woden wrote:Bugman get off your high horse. I'm not comparing the people to the problem I'm comparing the people to the people. It's now a police state or are you hiding under a rock?

Don't have a high horse. Don't know how to ride. You have taken offence to a perfectly reasonable observation. That is your problem, not mine.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 15 Aug 2021, 8:38 pm

You must work for the government...
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Anyway. Lets just move on and talk about gun shows. I have saved a bit of fiat currency that I intend to spend at Toowoomba. I got a hotel booked for 2 nights.

that's great mate . regional tourism in this country is reinvigorating some regional areas . it's a boost for local economies and people get to see some great parts of this country and the people in them . before travel restrictions a lot of aussies would fly to distant parts of the world , missing the fact we live in a awesome country . i reckon a lot of people take this country for granted :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 16 Aug 2021, 8:37 pm

In NSW you can walk out with firearms.
Unlike Qld you do not need to specify the gun or the dealer so you can get your PTA and take it with you.
If you see something you like you pay and pack.
Its a vicious twist that has seen me walk out with 3 new acquisitions on 1 occasion. Can't say it wasn't completely unplanned.
:-(
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics