Texas free for all?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Texas free for all?

Post by Bugman » 11 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

bigrich wrote:
Bugman wrote:
ZaineB wrote:f***ing LOL at you all running on this tangent as if it had anything to do with the original point lol

What was the original point? In all the excitement following my original post, I have forgotten what the point was :o

that's a sign of old age mate .

who are you again ...... :D

:thumbsup:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 11 Sep 2021, 8:23 am

Good words BR
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 11 Sep 2021, 9:49 am

I endorse the latitude to defend one’s self or others who’s lives are at risk due to violent intent, certainly would help the police to focus on beating people for mask infringements....
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 11 Sep 2021, 10:07 am

I like the idea of walking about with a gun holstered, however I would also like to have a knife strapped to me, I was think of the Rambo look , but in serious side , there are so many people I wouldn't trust carrying a gun around.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cleger » 11 Sep 2021, 11:19 am

First of all, congratulations on not having had this thread locked (yet?)

To the OP, I'd point out that "open carry without a permit" has been legal in my area (very far from Texas) for many years... as far as I know, it's always been legal in New Hampshire and Vermont. I suspect the same is true for other states, and so Texas isn't doing anything particularly novel here.

It's probably worth adding that New Hampshire and Vermont have the functional equivalent of "no gun laws." There is no restriction on the purchase, ownership, and carrying of weapons, except where and as prohibited, e.g. schools and courthouses, felons, "mental defectives," etc.

In my 56 years, this has not led to any outrages that I can recall. I think I know the reason for this.

Even though "open carry" is legal in New Hampshire and Vermont, in those same 56 years, I have seen someone actually do it precisely once, at a gas station in Nashua. I was filling my car, and watched from the pumps as a guy walked into the shop attached to the station wearing his pistol in one of those s**ty nylon flap holsters. It got my attention, because though I knew it was legal, I had never seen anyone actually do it. My immediate thoughts were "that asshole is going to frighten someone," and "what a ******."

As others have pointed out, the idea that one needs a gun to go anywhere is alien to me, and if I knew of such places, I would sooner stay out of them than go armed just because I can. As it is, there are no such places where I live. The corollary is that it's wrong to display weapons except in the appropriate context, and that sort of thing is not done here.

I expect that the people of Texas will behave otherwise. I know the place, having been there many times
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 11 Sep 2021, 11:40 am

bigrich wrote:
i should have been clearer about some of my concerns . the criminal element are grouped in with the folks who don't have the common sense to operate a vehicle. i believe some sort of licensing system is required as there are elements of society who should not have access to firearms . all it takes is one halfwit to make a bad choice, or some drugged out wanna be gangster to do some crazy sh!t and the rest of gun owners get vilified and condemed . the US is the US , it has it's laws and australia has it's own . i'm quite happy as a hunter/recreational shooter with where things are at in this country , if folks want US firearms access they should just move there . simples . cause firearm laws aren't going to change back to what they were in australia .

as for the politicians controlling more of our lives , yeah i hear ya . that's why people need to be more active in our democratic western societys . in australia we have numerous independant politicians and parties , and i encourage people to support them . you'd be suprised the number of people i know who complain but don't get of their @ss to vote . a two party system is NOT democracy

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I agree that people need to be more active in engaging their representatives. I have had great success working with my reps on the state and federal level and it's how you really advance the football down the field. I see in Australia that people need to be more engaged in the political process when it comes to guns because unfortunately guns have been politicized and with that the case, if you want gun rights and guns then you simply have to be involved. If no one is involved or engages their reps on it, then you lose it.

We already have background checks here in the USA anytime we purchase a firearm and if you buy multiple firearms over time, it's one background check after another.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 11 Sep 2021, 1:30 pm

cleger wrote:First of all, congratulations on not having had this thread locked (yet?)

To the OP, I'd point out that "open carry without a permit" has been legal in my area (very far from Texas) for many years... as far as I know, it's always been legal in New Hampshire and Vermont. I suspect the same is true for other states, and so Texas isn't doing anything particularly novel here.

It's probably worth adding that New Hampshire and Vermont have the functional equivalent of "no gun laws." There is no restriction on the purchase, ownership, and carrying of weapons, except where and as prohibited, e.g. schools and courthouses, felons, "mental defectives," etc.

In my 56 years, this has not led to any outrages that I can recall. I think I know the reason for this.

Even though "open carry" is legal in New Hampshire and Vermont, in those same 56 years, I have seen someone actually do it precisely once, at a gas station in Nashua. I was filling my car, and watched from the pumps as a guy walked into the shop attached to the station wearing his pistol in one of those s**ty nylon flap holsters. It got my attention, because though I knew it was legal, I had never seen anyone actually do it. My immediate thoughts were "that asshole is going to frighten someone," and "what a ******."

As others have pointed out, the idea that one needs a gun to go anywhere is alien to me, and if I knew of such places, I would sooner stay out of them than go armed just because I can. As it is, there are no such places where I live. The corollary is that it's wrong to display weapons except in the appropriate context, and that sort of thing is not done here.

I expect that the people of Texas will behave otherwise. I know the place, having been there many times

thanks very much for your input in this discussion . we're discussing firearms laws in texas USA , but besides waneroo none of us have any first hand experience of what the real status quo is over in texas or in other parts of the USA . your veiws are based on sound reasoning and common sense in my opinion :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Sep 2021, 1:37 pm

wanneroo wrote:
bigrich wrote:
i should have been clearer about some of my concerns . the criminal element are grouped in with the folks who don't have the common sense to operate a vehicle. i believe some sort of licensing system is required as there are elements of society who should not have access to firearms . all it takes is one halfwit to make a bad choice, or some drugged out wanna be gangster to do some crazy sh!t and the rest of gun owners get vilified and condemed . the US is the US , it has it's laws and australia has it's own . i'm quite happy as a hunter/recreational shooter with where things are at in this country , if folks want US firearms access they should just move there . simples . cause firearm laws aren't going to change back to what they were in australia .

as for the politicians controlling more of our lives , yeah i hear ya . that's why people need to be more active in our democratic western societys . in australia we have numerous independant politicians and parties , and i encourage people to support them . you'd be suprised the number of people i know who complain but don't get of their @ss to vote . a two party system is NOT democracy

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I agree that people need to be more active in engaging their representatives. I have had great success working with my reps on the state and federal level and it's how you really advance the football down the field. I see in Australia that people need to be more engaged in the political process when it comes to guns because unfortunately guns have been politicized and with that the case, if you want gun rights and guns then you simply have to be involved. If no one is involved or engages their reps on it, then you lose it.

We already have background checks here in the USA anytime we purchase a firearm and if you buy multiple firearms over time, it's one background check after another.

yeah , well , this is the democracy system . people need to speak up . a lot of people these days complain but don't act . i got active by meeting local politicians when "hoon laws" were introduced against the modified car scene as cops were running amok with fines and vehicle confiscations . people speaking up caused some common sense to return to the actions of police . when they passed the law they were trying to reign in the ratbag "skidder" element , but the laws were used unfairly against law abiding enthusiasts . now things are reasonable :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 3:53 pm

The thing is if you don’t behave in Texas, you will never see the light of day again. There’s no leniency in their justice system.
They have zero tolerance for anything that is’nt short back and sides, straight laced and the creases in your t-shirt better be in the right place.
For the most part, people stay in line.
Freedom yes, if you conform to their ways.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Sep 2021, 4:07 pm

womble wrote:The thing is if you don’t behave in Texas, you will never see the light of day again. There’s no leniency in their justice system.
They have zero tolerance for anything that is’nt short back and sides, straight laced and the creases in your t-shirt better be in the right place.

Leniency how?

A Texas father beat a man to death for molesting his daughter and he was not charged but hailed as a hero. If that was here the father would jailed.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
womble wrote:The thing is if you don’t behave in Texas, you will never see the light of day again. There’s no leniency in their justice system.

Leniency how?

A Texas father beat a man to death for molesting his daughter and he was not charged but hailed as a hero. If that was here the father would jailed.

personally, i think that's a just out come ;) :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Sep 2021, 4:15 pm

bigrich wrote:

As do I mate, I don't condone violence but that was a legitimate case of self defence. He caught a bloke in his daughters room. So it was in the heat of the moment and a true case of self defence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

Leniency how?

Would’nt be jailed here either. Trial by jury. Probably why they did’nt bother charging him.
Do you really believe a jury here would convict someone for that. Where would you find such jurors
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cleger » 11 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

Leniency how?

I know a girl whose father spent a couple of years in jail in Massachusetts for beating the guy who had molested her.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 4:45 pm

"A Texas father beat a man to death for molesting his daughter and he was not charged but hailed as a hero. If that was here the father would jailed."

bigrich wrote:

As do I mate, I don't condone violence but that was a legitimate case of self defence. He caught a bloke in his daughters room. So it was in the heat of the moment and a true case of self defence.

Um did the guy doing the molesting attack the father? Got my doubts.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 4:51 pm

Laws don’t work on parents who find strangers in their kids rooms.
Nothing to do with self defence.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Sep 2021, 4:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"A Texas father beat a man to death for molesting his daughter and he was not charged but hailed as a hero. If that was here the father would jailed."

No he did not attack the father.

"Under the law in the state of Texas deadly force is authorized and justified in order to stop an aggravated sexual assault or sexual assault," District Attorney Heather McMinn told reporters"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas ... d=16612071
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cleger » 11 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Keep in mind that judges in Texas and elsewhere in the US are elected. This has the sort of effect you might expect.

cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 4:57 pm

cleger wrote:

Leniency how?

I know a girl whose father spent a couple of years in jail in Massachusetts for beating the guy who had molested her.

Many years ago i worked with a guy, was actually a Vietnam veteran. He killed a man here in Melbourne. Hunted him down and killed him.
The man had abducted and murdered his 2 year old daughter. It never made the news. The police never charged him. They found his daughter. But this bloke found the peddo before the police did. The police involved never released anything to the media.
The guy never told me this himself. The people who had worked with him for years told me. I was new on the job.
He was a quiet, reserved man who preferred to be left alone and his work place respected that.
True story. Very few people knew about it and kept it that way.
Last edited by womble on 11 Sep 2021, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Sep 2021, 4:58 pm

Meanwhile in Australia a bloke goes to the rescue of a stab victim and brings his rifle and is being charged. Unbelievable.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 5:01 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Meanwhile in Australia a bloke goes to the rescue of a stab victim and brings his rifle and is being charged. Unbelievable.

Yep, watching with interest. A new precedent could be set. No mention of it msm
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"A Texas father beat a man to death for molesting his daughter and he was not charged but hailed as a hero. If that was here the father would jailed."

No he did not attack the father.

"Under the law in the state of Texas deadly force is authorized and justified in order to stop an aggravated sexual assault or sexual assault," District Attorney Heather McMinn told reporters"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas ... d=16612071

OK. Fair enough. But I wouldn't call it self defence though. It's defence of his daughter, big difference.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cleger » 11 Sep 2021, 5:10 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Meanwhile in Australia a bloke goes to the rescue of a stab victim and brings his rifle and is being charged. Unbelievable.

That could happen here too (New England, not necessarily Texas,) if, for example, the person were unlicensed where required (as in Massachusetts) or if he frightened some undeserving person by pointing his gun at them. By itself, that's "assault with a deadly weapon" here.

You'd get away with bringing a gun for protection in your scenario (I'm imagining a person freshly stabbed, whose assailant was there moments ago) in most parts of the US if you made the case that the stabber was still at large, threat was still imminent, etc. You certainly can use a gun that way here, but again, there has to be either a present danger, or sufficient uncertainty, e.g. the assailant had ducked behind a nearby shed.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 5:13 pm

Yes, that one is crazy. Could be a test case. My understanding is he just had it beside him on the ground.

Some more info here:

https://www.nationalshooting.org.au/sel ... territory/
Last edited by Oldbloke on 11 Sep 2021, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 11 Sep 2021, 5:24 pm

womble wrote:For the most part, people stay in line.

That isn't freedom.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 12 Sep 2021, 11:22 pm

you have a right to fight back after youre killed, whats so hard to understand there lol

yeah "free country" lol what a joke, anyone in AU that thinks they live "freely" is just happy in their enclosure, nothing more.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2021, 7:59 am

ZaineB wrote:

you have a right to fight back after youre killed, whats so hard to understand there lol

yeah "free country" lol what a joke, anyone in AU that thinks they live "freely" is just happy in their enclosure, nothing more.

Don't worry zaineb, flights to the US should start up again in the new year. :thumbsup: :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 13 Sep 2021, 10:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Don't worry zaineb, flights to the US should start up again in the new year. :thumbsup: :violin:

lol when are you going to stop making my point exactly for me as if its scripted? see you think you're witty, you think you're funny, you think you're making an example etc etc, no doubt with some lame chortle as you click submit on your post, but here's the thing, you embody that exact weak, tamed, conditioned, confined conformist weakling I talk about, you are it. probably the worst one on the forum too.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bugman » 13 Sep 2021, 11:16 am

ZaineB wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Don't worry zaineb, flights to the US should start up again in the new year. :thumbsup: :violin:

lol when are you going to stop making my point exactly for me as if its scripted? see you think you're witty, you think you're funny, you think you're making an example etc etc, no doubt with some lame chortle as you click submit on your post, but here's the thing, you embody that exact weak, tamed, conditioned, confined conformist weakling I talk about, you are it. probably the worst one on the forum too.

Mate. have a look at yourself. You are going down your old name calling, vindictive pathway. Stick to script or bugger off.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2021, 12:27 pm

ZaineB wrote:

Poor form zaine. If you’re going to reply, think of something witty to reply with. Schoolyard style personal insults are most unbecoming. You don’t seem to take criticism well, most forum members cop a razzing at some time, don’t take things to seriously. You’ve raised some valid points that I can agree with, and some I don’t. But I still feel you have a view to contribute.
Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics