Gun amnesty targets 260,000 unregistered firearms across Aus

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Gun amnesty targets 260,000 unregistered firearms across Aus

Post by SwissMiss » 03 Feb 2022, 12:58 pm

SwissMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Gun amnesty targets 260,000 unregistered firearms across

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:15 pm

That article is full of s**t. There is a lot more than 260 thousand unregistered firearms.

Australia has not had a mass shooting since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996

That is a load of s**t. Australia has had a few mass shootings. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Monash 2002
Hectorville 2011
Lockhart 2014
Wedderburn 2014
Osmington 2018
Darwin 2019.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 03 Feb 2022, 1:52 pm

Yep. All the nasty people out there will be lining up to hand in their firearms.....not. Again the problem is that it appears that the laws are pretty clear but the sentences for those who transgress these laws is appalling. The good guys get screwed the bad guys get all the breaks.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm

It's the Guardian, better known as the Garbage Can, anti-firearm ownership and will happily publish any garbage that supports their views.

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:That article is full of s**t. There is a lot more than 260 thousand unregistered firearms.

Australia has not had a mass shooting since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996

That is a load of s**t. Australia has had a few mass shootings. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Monash 2002
Hectorville 2011
Lockhart 2014
Wedderburn 2014
Osmington 2018
Darwin 2019.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 03 Feb 2022, 2:11 pm

What I think is interesting is, according to the article, if you don't hand it in you may get a nasty knock at the door.

I am pretty sure if the Police already knew you had unregistered/illegal firearms at home, you would have already had the knock/door kicked in
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 03 Feb 2022, 2:30 pm

Ahh this person again.

Do you ever actually post something substantial. Or just post inflammatory articles and then sit back eating your popcorn
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2022, 2:48 pm

cz515 wrote:Ahh this person again.

Do you ever actually post something substantial. Or just post inflammatory articles and then sit back eating your popcorn

I don't think the post is un-substantial at all, the spread amongst us of derogatory and inflammatory media garbage is informative to help keep an eye on what the enemy are up to. I don't read interstate papers and were it not for posts like this I would be unaware of the clap-trap spouted in such rags. Pretty much if you don't like the posters style, don't read them. Others do.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Feb 2022, 3:28 pm

260,000 firearms.... who's ass was that number plucked out of ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 03 Feb 2022, 4:17 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:260,000 firearms.... who's ass was that number plucked out of ?

ACIC in 2015 https://www.crimestoppersvic.com.au/current-focus/illegal-guns-affect-everyone/
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm

But in fairness they did pull that number out of their ass,
And then suggested 600,000 in 2016
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/as-many-as-600000-illegal-guns-in-australia-20161020-gs74ay.html
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 03 Feb 2022, 10:50 pm

If there's 260000 unregistered firearms that just proves that they're just as law abiding as the rest of us :lol: :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 04 Feb 2022, 3:05 am

duddley75 wrote:What I think is interesting is, according to the article, if you don't hand it in you may get a nasty knock at the door.

I am pretty sure if the Police already knew you had unregistered/illegal firearms at home, you would have already had the knock/door kicked in

Do a door knock of western Sydney, should find most of them.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 04 Feb 2022, 3:07 am

Anyway, where is the carrot ?
How much you paying for these scary unregistered firearms.
Do i need to duck down to Bunnings and pick up some timber and pipe
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 04 Feb 2022, 4:04 am

Reminiscent of the mid 1990s
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Feb 2022, 5:47 am

No1Mk3 wrote:
cz515 wrote:Ahh this person again.

I don't think the post is un-substantial at all, the spread amongst us of derogatory and inflammatory media garbage is informative to help keep an eye on what the enemy are up to. I don't read interstate papers and were it not for posts like this I would be unaware of the clap-trap spouted in such rags. Pretty much if you don't like the posters style, don't read them. Others do.

Agreed. Know thy enemy.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 04 Feb 2022, 6:41 am

on_one_wheel wrote:260,000 firearms.... who's ass was that number plucked out of ?

That number seems fairly close to the difference between the total number of semiautomatic centerfires imported compared to the total number of semiautomatic centerfires handed in buy-backs and amnesties.
The bulk of that number would likely be SKS's.
The powers that be never reveal their true concerns and fears.
They are concealed in various enactments by their public puppets ostensibly for the peace, welfare and well being of the population and thus can only be deduced.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2022, 8:58 am

deye243 wrote:If there's 260000 unregistered firearms that just proves that they're just as law abiding as the rest of us :lol: :thumbsup:

260,000 unlicensed firearms and virtually no firearm-related violence proves that registration is pointless. Even the firearms that are confiscated from criminals are rarely used for violence.

Most unlicensed firearms are not being actively used by anybody. Most that are being used are being used by people that simply can't get or don't want permission from the government to be able to own a firearm, they just want to enjoy hunting and plinking, and be able to control pests on their properties, without harming anybody.

If unlicensed firearms were a genuine issue we would all know about it long before now.

If the government cared about public safety instead of pushing their disarmament agenda they would simply do away with registration and switch that infrastructure and funding into combatting criminal firearm use, and fixing their own ranks that allow firearms to get into criminal hands, and their own corruption that allows people to legally get firearms that should never have them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Feb 2022, 1:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:If there's 260000 unregistered firearms that just proves that they're just as law abiding as the rest of us :lol: :thumbsup:

260,000 unlicensed firearms and virtually no firearm-related violence proves that registration is pointless. Even the firearms that are confiscated from criminals are rarely used for violence.

Most unlicensed firearms are not being actively used by anybody. Most that are being used are being used by people that simply can't get or don't want permission from the government to be able to own a firearm, they just want to enjoy hunting and plinking, and be able to control pests on their properties, without harming anybody.

If unlicensed firearms were a genuine issue we would all know about it long before now.

If the government cared about public safety instead of pushing their disarmament agenda they would simply do away with registration and switch that infrastructure and funding into combatting criminal firearm use, and fixing their own ranks that allow firearms to get into criminal hands, and their own corruption that allows people to legally get firearms that should never have them.

Extremely good point, that's something that should be shouted from the rooftops every time Howard's 96 reform is praised
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 04 Feb 2022, 3:32 pm

If you take the article as factual then locking up Martin was problem solved.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 05 Feb 2022, 4:00 am

straightshooter wrote:

That number seems fairly close to the difference between the total number of semiautomatic centerfires imported compared to the total number of semiautomatic centerfires handed in buy-backs and amnesties.
The bulk of that number would likely be SKS's.
The powers that be never reveal their true concerns and fears.
They are concealed in various enactments by their public puppets ostensibly for the peace, welfare and well being of the population and thus can only be deduced.

And so, by removing just some of the semi autos from only the most law abiding super honest goody 2 shoes citizens
Australia ended the mass shootings. :D
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 05 Feb 2022, 4:07 am

But wait there’s more proof.
There it is, the semi automatic rifle found in the pile 1996.
Lucky they found it. It ended the mass shootings forever.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 05 Feb 2022, 8:02 am

bladeracer wrote:It's the Guardian, better known as the Garbage Can, anti-firearm ownership and will happily publish any garbage that supports their views.

From my read, the article is reporting on a Crime Supporters campaign and quotes comments from people leading that effort.

Agreed, their definition of a "mass shooting" is loose.

The article doesn't take licenced ownership to task (unless I missed it), so I'm not seeing an anti-firearm ownership message for those siding with the law.

We'll have to differ but I wouldn't classify the journalism from the linked example as garbage. Each to their own.. :thumbsup:
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2022, 12:24 pm

str8shutr wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It's the Guardian, better known as the Garbage Can, anti-firearm ownership and will happily publish any garbage that supports their views.

From my read, the article is reporting on a Crime Supporters campaign and quotes comments from people leading that effort.

The article doesn't take licenced ownership to task (unless I missed it), so I'm not seeing an anti-firearm ownership message for those siding with the law.

We'll have to differ but I wouldn't classify the journalism from the linked example as garbage. Each to their own.. :thumbsup:

The Guardian has a long history of pushing gun control.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 05 Feb 2022, 12:54 pm

womble wrote:But wait there’s more proof.
There it is, the semi automatic rifle found in the pile 1996.
Lucky they found it. It ended the mass shootings forever.

Yep constable plod apparently did a fine, outstanding job of finding it. Another police success story revealed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 06 Feb 2022, 1:11 am

str8shutr wrote:

I’d classify it as biased and we are rightly offended by it.
The announcement was released by all media simultaneously, however the guardian and all Fairfax media did put their own spin on it.
True to form they reinforced the garbage that since port Arthur Australia became a crimeless utopia.
Which is a falsehood that does a great disservice to all victims of mass murders in Australia since. The reality is such tragedies have become more frequent since, as have suicides.
Also they reinforce the viewpoint that guns are only for criminals, which is likewise offensive and equally absurd.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Feb 2022, 2:44 am

If you knew how many illegal semmi auto rifles were in this country you would move to the US .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Feb 2022, 6:39 am

There's probably 260,000 errors on the firearms registry. Have you ever contacted the LRD and requested a copy of your registration list? The states don't talk to each other and there's stuff dual registered everywhere.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics