Man charged after loaded pistol found in luggage xray

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Man charged after loaded pistol found in luggage xray

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 4:24 pm

https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/media-releases/us-man-charged-over-gun-luggage-sydney-airport

"AFP Sydney Airport Police Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Scott Sykes, said officers had allegedly found one bullet in the chamber of the handgun, which meant it was actioned and ready to be fired."

After yesterday's video I'm surprised they didn't mention that the safety was off on this Ruger revolver.
Do these people even know what firearms are????
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Man charged after loaded pistol found in luggage xray

Post by womble » 08 Mar 2022, 4:59 pm

True. It could be anything really. Probably just a hair dryer.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 08 Mar 2022, 5:23 pm

A Ruger hair dryer?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 08 Mar 2022, 5:48 pm

"Australian Federal Police officers were called after a security worker monitoring an x-ray saw what they suspected to be a firearm in the 47-year-old man’s carry-on baggage yesterday morning (6 March 2022)"

"Police inspected his luggage and found a loaded Ruger pistol. The man was stopped from boarding a flight to the United States and police questioned him about the weapon, which was seized"

Sounds like he was caught with it on the way out, so he brought it with him (well done TSA/BF for allowing it in....) and liked it enough and thought so little of security he thought he could repeat his antics on the way out. So the TSA allowed someone with a 100% not concealed pistol to get on a flight and BF here never picked it up either. How and why on earth the guy didnt realise he had won the lottery when he found it when he got here and tossed it into the ocean I have no idea, how could you be so stupid to try smuggle it back home on carry on? Unless it was in the bottom of his backpack and never realised the entire time lol
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 08 Mar 2022, 6:30 pm

Maybe it was in his checked luggage on the way in, they are all x-rayed but it would be easy to miss by the minimum wage employees that periodically glance at the screens as bags pass. I would expect explosives to be the main concern in checked luggage though.

Hand luggage is checked much more carefully, it would be very unlikely that somebody would get through that with a firearm.
He's not going to have a fun time with the AFP.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 08 Mar 2022, 7:01 pm

Or could simply be a snap cap in the cylinder under the hammer to avoid any possible damage. The checkers would probably have no idea.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Devilcv8 » 08 Mar 2022, 8:12 pm

Pity the traveller wasnt in the US. Saw an interesting video where a veteran was picked up at an airport with a pistol in his carry on, cops were called and after making safe the pistol and questioning the vet, the cop handed the pistol to the vets wife who was there to see him off. No charges laid anf pistol not seized
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 2:44 am

Maybe he did’nt have enough bags for luggage and just borrowed his kids school bag.
People always assume the worst in these situations. I’m sure it was just an honest mistake.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 09 Mar 2022, 6:03 am

As much as I'd like to assume that the guy had good intentions... From the article all anyone here knows for sure is that he had a firearm in his luggage that shouldn't have legally been there, and that it was chambered.
I like my rifles, but I'm not moronic enough to try to waltz through airport security with one chambered and my bags. How many signs with pictures of pistols and big X's over them do you need to see before you take a hint?

Pardon me if I don't sound sympathetic to his plight, but when people do dumb stuff with firearms in Australia, it is typically the LAFO's that cop it in the end:(
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 09 Mar 2022, 3:42 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:Pity the traveller wasnt in the US. Saw an interesting video where a veteran was picked up at an airport with a pistol in his carry on, cops were called and after making safe the pistol and questioning the vet, the cop handed the pistol to the vets wife who was there to see him off. No charges laid anf pistol not seized

He is better off getting caught here than if he flew into JFK New York but
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics