NT man shoots intruder and is arrested for Murder

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

NT man shoots intruder and is arrested for Murder

Post by rc42 » 21 Mar 2022, 8:11 am

Quote from one media outlet:

"A man has been charged with murder after an alleged intruder was fatally shot at a home near Katherine in the Northern Territory.
The 38-year-old resident of the home was taken into custody soon after a 26-year-old man was shot dead on Thursday morning, 350km south of Darwin.

Officers found the dead man's body about 4am after a caller reported that a male intruder was inside the home.
Detective Senior Sergeant Jakson Evans previously told reporters that it was a confronting scene.

A woman and two children were also in the home during the incident.

The house is located about 30km south of Katherine near the Cutta Cutta Caves Nature Park.

Police are also examining whether the shooting was linked to an absconder from the Venndale Rehabilitation Centre, about 10km south of the caves.
The Venndale facility is a residential drug rehabilitation centre for Indigenous people.

The man charged has been remanded in custody to appear before Katherine Local Court at a date to be set."

No other details released but it appears that the intruder had escaped from a rehabilitation facility (the nice way to say prison), broke into this family's home, a long way from police assistance so they were on their own and one of the victims had access to a firearm so he used it. Most likely in the protection of his family but reports are still short on details. It also seems likely that this was a licensed shooter as there are no mention of unregistered firearms or related charges.
Clearly we need more details to know whether the murder charge is justified but given NT police previous history I'd suspect not at this stage.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: NT man shoots intruder and is arrested for Murder

Post by noneyabussiness » 21 Mar 2022, 10:12 am

I hope he fights it and wins... I wonder if the NSC will be getting involved??
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by noneyabussiness » 21 Mar 2022, 10:14 am

or Shooters union
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 22 Mar 2022, 11:54 pm

Sounds like a legit shoot to me.

I am a strong believer in the castle doctrine and if someone violently invades your home, you have the right to take action to protect your own life and that of others.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 23 Mar 2022, 3:10 am

Does sound like that. Maybe he’s in custody for his own safety.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Mar 2022, 11:04 am

Excessive force, the onus is on the home owner to prove deadly force was the absolute minimum under the circumstances or they will be charged. Sadly we don't have any rights like "Castle Doctrine" in this country, nor "Stand your ground". you can only respond to threats commensurate with the level of threat posed so use a weapon, any weapon, on an unarmed man unless you can show he was much bigger and stronger than you and you will be deemed at Law to have used excessive force so rightly or wrongly I feel this chap is stuffed.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by noneyabussiness » 23 Mar 2022, 11:34 am

https://www.gotocourt.com.au/criminal-l ... f-defence/

In Queensland, not exactly, it can be a PERCEIVED threat.. unsure of NT though.. It is still possible however to be charged but in Queensland the onus is on the prosecution to PROVE it was pre-meditated, not self defense
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Mar 2022, 11:36 am

One of the intentions of 'secure storage' laws is to allow prosecution of firearm owning 'victims' if they use those firearms to defend themselves or their family.

If the firearms weren't locked away securely so you could access them quickly you get prosecuted, if they were locked away then the time you took to access them shows that you had time to run away and let the criminals do whatever they want to, so self defense is thrown out and you get prosecuted.

Police don't care about justice, or right and wrong, only how many prosecutions they can get to help their statistics and taking away somebody's firearms is always a bonus.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by noneyabussiness » 23 Mar 2022, 11:42 am

rc42 wrote:One of the intentions of 'secure storage' laws is to allow prosecution of firearm owning 'victims' if they use those firearms to defend themselves or their family.

If the firearms weren't locked away securely so you could access them quickly you get prosecuted, if they were locked away then the time you took to access them shows that you had time to run away and let the criminals do whatever they want to, so self defense is thrown out and you get prosecuted.

Police don't care about justice, or right and wrong, only how many prosecutions they can get to help their statistics and taking away somebody's firearms is always a bonus.

again, A lot I agree with you, however, this bloke lives 350 Ks at least from darwin, so police response is limited, if old mate was threatening him ( he may have even had a weapon etc. )and he has contacted the relevant authorities, if they are still far away he would have had plenty of time to retrieve his firearm, still in a reasonable timeframe for self defense... There are many unknowns to the public in this situation, and maybe he needs our support... imagine if it was you or I ...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 23 Mar 2022, 4:23 pm

wanneroo wrote:Sounds like a legit shoot to me.

I am a strong believer in the castle doctrine and if someone violently invades your home, you have the right to take action to protect your own life and that of others.

You are lucky enough to live in a free country Sir unfortunately here in Australia we are not that lucky we are even told what we are and aren't allowed to say or the clothes we can or cannot wear
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Mar 2022, 6:11 pm

rc42 wrote:One of the intentions of 'secure storage' laws is to allow prosecution of firearm owning 'victims' if they use those firearms to defend themselves or their family.

I've always considered this to be the case. Catch22.

The solution is in the kitchen draw.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Mar 2022, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I've always considered this to be the case. Catch22.

The solution is in the kitchen draw.

I don't always use chopsticks, but when I do, be sure you're wearing your safety glasses :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 24 Mar 2022, 3:42 am

deye243 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Sounds like a legit shoot to me.

You are lucky enough to live in a free country Sir unfortunately here in Australia we are not that lucky we are even told what we are and aren't allowed to say or the clothes we can or cannot wear

By your mum ?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Robin » 24 Mar 2022, 11:07 pm

If someone breaks into my home while I'm there, the first thing I will be thinking about is to grab one of my guns, there are so many crazy drugged up people out there these days and my families safety always comes first.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Mar 2022, 7:33 am

Better to b thinking it rather than posting it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics