Arrested for trying to sell a 'high powered' Browning .22

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Arrested for trying to sell a 'high powered' Browning .22

Post by NTSOG » 07 Apr 2022, 6:54 pm

G'day,

The ABC continues its 'accurate' reporting: "A 29-year-old Kalgoorlie man who arranged to sell a high-powered rifle ... [a] Browning .22 bolt-action rifle."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... 91acf967a2

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Arrested for trying to sell a 'high powered' Browning .2

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2022, 7:01 pm

.22 a "high power" was does that make a 300 WinMag.......a scud missile? Any firearm is dangerous, we all know that. Well ABC could stand for All Bull Crap.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Apr 2022, 7:17 pm

Probably using hypersonic bullets too
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 07 Apr 2022, 8:30 pm

Should be done for false advertising at least
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by noneyabussiness » 07 Apr 2022, 9:02 pm

lol.. next it will be " militarized high powered gel blaster used against school children, by child " ... ffs
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 07 Apr 2022, 9:54 pm

Regardless of the ABC beat up on the headline. An ice addict who gets his hands on a gun, any gun, is nothing but bad news. It doesn’t at all help the rest of us, and it’s not the sort of publicity responsible owners want or need, but it’s unfortunately happening.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 07 Apr 2022, 10:11 pm

So, who's going to turn up at the ABC's head office with a proper high powered rifle to correct their journalists? I'm sure that will go down well :P
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tomotron » 07 Apr 2022, 10:21 pm

Shootermick wrote:Regardless of the ABC beat up on the headline. An ice addict who gets his hands on a gun, any gun, is nothing but bad news. It doesn’t at all help the rest of us, and it’s not the sort of publicity responsible owners want or need, but it’s unfortunately happening.

In the article, it says the methhead's licence was originally terminated and he then became a prohibited person. So it should be no big worry for LAFOs unless if you're in a police state...
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Apr 2022, 10:24 pm

Shootermick wrote:Regardless of the ABC beat up on the headline. An ice addict who gets his hands on a gun, any gun, is nothing but bad news. It doesn’t at all help the rest of us, and it’s not the sort of publicity responsible owners want or need, but it’s unfortunately happening.

I refuse to accept this has anyone to do with LAFO's
By suggesting its somehow reflecting upon us your accepting that somehow we are a problem.

If someone gets stabbed with a kitchen knife does everyone immediately frown apon all chefs ?
When a motorcar ploughed down Bourke street did anyone point their finger at all motorists?
Do outlaw motorcycle gangs make every other motorcycle rider a lowlife?

Laws only affect the law abiding.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 07 Apr 2022, 11:19 pm

Hear what your saying... but we all get tarred with the same brush unfortunately
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 09 Apr 2022, 8:32 pm

on_one_wheel wrote: Laws only affect the law abiding.

While I often over estimate peopled abilities, are you truly this ignorant? I think a lot of criminals in gaol will disagree with you.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Apr 2022, 8:56 pm

Fionn wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote: Laws only affect the law abiding.

While I often over estimate peopled abilities, are you truly this ignorant? I think a lot of criminals in gaol will disagree with you.

Thanks for your antagonistic reply Fionn ...how's the butt hurt going ? Still a bit sore I see. :lol:

Perhaps not my best choice of words but I'm pretty sure you’re smart enough to read between the lines.
Just in case your not, I'll spell it out for a tone-deaf person such as yourself.
Laws do not prevent people bad from doing whatever they want.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 09 Apr 2022, 9:19 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Thanks for your antagonistic reply Fionn ...how's the butt hurt going ? Still a bit sore I see. :lol:

Perhaps not my best choice of words but I'm pretty sure you’re smart enough to read between the lines.
Just in case your not, I'll spell it out for a tone-deaf person such as yourself.

That's OK, someone has to call out the ignorant comments, or as you said not the best choice of words, too bad you clarified the ignorant comment with another one.

Keep digging that hole.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Apr 2022, 9:36 pm

Fionn wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Thanks for your antagonistic reply Fionn ...how's the butt hurt going ? Still a bit sore I see. :lol:

That's OK, someone has to call out the ignorant comments, or as you said not the best choice of words, too bad you clarified the ignorant comment with another one.

Keep digging that hole.

I'm not the one digging himself a great big f***ing hole... that's actually you.
I don't come here deliberately antagonising and blatantly name calling other forum members like some sort of f***ing looser with a bone to pick.
It's you who starts this crap every time.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 16 Apr 2022, 3:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm not the one digging himself a great big f***ing hole... that's actually you.
I don't come here deliberately antagonising and blatantly name calling other forum members like some sort of f***ing looser with a bone to pick.
It's you who starts this crap every time.

I haven't called you any names, I think you will find that you are the one doing this.

I said your comments were ignorant and questioned your ignorance, that's not name calling. Although I am not surprised you get confused by it and it is proving my point.

Maybe look up what ignorant means, instead of what you think it does.
Last edited by Fionn on 17 Apr 2022, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2022, 4:01 pm

Fionn wrote:That's OK, someone has to call out the ignorant comments, or as you said not the best choice of words, too bad you clarified the ignorant comment with another one.

Keep digging that hole.

Are you still pushing your misguided belief that laws prevent people that don't obey them from doing what the law says they shouldn't?

Laws do not prevent crimes, never have, never will. They are words written on paper. Even if you educate the criminal that such a law exists it is still irrelevant to him. Criminals don't care what you say they shouldn't do, if they want to do something they just do it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 Apr 2022, 1:35 am

Nothing prevents crime. Saying that laws will punish the criminal when they are caught

But I suppose laws will already define for a society a set of rules to follow to live lives in a safe manner. And also define what punishment will be dealt to those who do not follow those guidelines.

This in short making society safer.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Apr 2022, 12:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:That's OK, someone has to call out the ignorant comments, or as you said not the best choice of words, too bad you clarified the ignorant comment with another one.

Keep digging that hole.

Are you still pushing your misguided belief that laws prevent people that don't obey them from doing what the law says they shouldn't?

Laws do not prevent crimes, never have, never will. They are words written on paper. Even if you educate the criminal that such a law exists it is still irrelevant to him. Criminals don't care what you say they shouldn't do, if they want to do something they just do it.

First of, stop using a Red Herring fallacy to redirect the discussion.

On_One_wheel said and I quote

on_one_wheel wrote:Laws only affect the law abiding.

This is clearly an ignorant thing to state and as I said there are many in gaol who would disagree.

On to your usage of "prevent", as we have already covered in other posts your usage of the term "prevent" is narrow and ignorant.

You seem to wrongly believe that "prevent" only means to physically stop something and you clearly don't seem to know it can be used as an intransitive verb.

Hoped you have learnt something and glad I could be of assistance.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2022, 1:04 pm

I'm not trying to redirect any discussion.
on_one-wheel's statement is correct, laws have little useful effect on those of us that obey them. They may occasionally cause some nuisance value, like not being able to own semi-auto rifles anymore, but the law only affects us if we decide to ignore it and become criminals.

People in gaol clearly ignored the law thus the law did not prevent them doing criminal acts, if it had they wouldn't be in gaol would they...

I think in all our discussions I leaned only one thing, most of it is pedantic bickering about English language and your posturing over other people's opinions. I appreciate the time that you were able to educate me, though I don't recall what that was referring to (possibly the shooting of other people's stock?), but I've learned nothing from your current posts.

I use the word prevent the same way the vast majority of the population use it. You prevent something by stopping it from happening, laws prevent nothing. Laws cause confusion and hinderance to those endeavouring to comply with them, like not being able to own semi-auto rifles - it's a law that has zero impact on public safety, it simply hinders those of us that would use them lawfully, as we did when we did own them. The law does not prevent criminals from owning and using semi-auto rifles, it only prevents a law-abiding person from selling one to such people. The law gives us a means to prosecute those that break the law, after they break it.

Recent laws are pushing toward trying to prosecute people that haven't broken any laws but have either considered breaking them, or have the means of breaking them if they decided to do so. That is not a good direction for laws to take, in my opinion. We should not be prosecuting people that have not broken any laws merely because they could potentially break the law if they wished to. That is a legal system based on the assumption that every citizen is a criminal already.

Fionn wrote:First of, stop using a Red Herring fallacy to redirect the discussion.

On_One_wheel said and I quote

on_one_wheel wrote:Laws only affect the law abiding.

This is clearly an ignorant thing to state and as I said there are many in gaol who would disagree.

On to your usage of "prevent", as we have already covered in other posts your usage of the term "prevent" is narrow and ignorant.

You seem to wrongly believe that "prevent" only means to physically stop something and you clearly don't seem to know it can be used as an intransitive verb.

Hoped you have learnt something and glad I could be of assistance.
Last edited by bladeracer on 17 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Apr 2022, 2:06 pm

Only a an antagonistic troll would suggest would suggest that laws stop crime. If there's ever been a ignorant comment made here it's yours Fionn.

You're transparent as a jellyfish fionn and a complete joke. Personally I think this forum would be a far better place without the likes of yourself.

Take your trolling elsewhere
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 17 Apr 2022, 2:45 pm

In my opinion, all laws really do is define crime and usually have a recommended punishment for those convicted of breaking them, in a way they define society and what is or is not acceptable.
Unfortunately, those that write and approve them are so biased and corrupt and trying to push personal agendas that laws are a mess that nobody fully understands, police and courts have an ongoing battle to understand and define them whilst politicians are constantly churning out more amendments and complexity to pile on top of the existing mess.

Those who try to be law abiding have to put in some effort to understand the laws that relate to their activities and try to follow them, especially with complex issues like firearms. In other areas, most people seem to just live their lives following the values they were brought up with usually that is enough to keep them within the law or just not infringing significantly enough to be prosecuted.

Criminals don't care about laws and they have minimal effect on their behaviour other than making them more careful about not being caught when breaking them, it is only the law abiding that are really affected by laws as we endeavor to follow them.

Fionn - If I've made any grammatical errors or used words contrary to their Oxford English Dictionary definitions please jump in and let me know.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 17 Apr 2022, 3:08 pm

Shame. This original post was quite interesting. But it is being slowly hijacked and becoming very boring.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 17 Apr 2022, 10:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm not trying to redirect any discussion.
on_one-wheel's statement is correct, laws have little useful effect on those of us that obey them. They may occasionally cause some nuisance value, like not being able to own semi-auto rifles anymore, but the law only affects us if we decide to ignore it and become criminals.

Yes you are trying to redirect!.

on_one-wheel's statement is not correct, for clarity here it is again "Laws only affect the law abiding."

Given that people are incarcerated because they have been found guilty of breaking the law, so therefore aren't law abiding, its clearly having an affect on them at some level.

So to clarify your argument again, are you claiming it doesn't have an affect on them, even though they have been incarcerated for not following them.

Can you see the problem here? or am I expecting to much from you?

bladeracer wrote:
People in gaol clearly ignored the law thus the law did not prevent them doing criminal acts, if it had they wouldn't be in gaol would they...

I have already covered the usage of "prevent" .

If you want the statement to make logical sense, you would be better off saying "laws don't prevent all crimes" falling to quantify the statement makes it a flawed by specious reasoning. Which I have already pointed out.

bladeracer wrote:I use the word prevent the same way the vast majority of the population use it. You prevent something by stopping it from happening, laws prevent nothing.

They say, ignorance is bliss, which I guess is true, as you don't seem to take it well when someone shatters that bliss.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Apr 2022, 10:30 pm

rc42 wrote:Fionn - If I've made any grammatical errors or used words contrary to their Oxford English Dictionary definitions please jump in and let me know.

No, you did well in explaining your argument in a logical fashion.

I am interested in logical arguments, I don't care about grammatical errors or generally using words contrary to their meanings unless you the words you are using incorrectly are pivotal to your argument.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 18 Apr 2022, 12:07 am

You must be a lawyer or a grammar major
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2022, 10:07 am

Who cares what effect the law has on anybody after they've already broken the law?????? How does that protect the person that has already been victimised??????
How does that protect people from the criminal after we release him from gaol?

I've been attacked, injured, robbed, property damaged and the perp went to gaol, and he came back to visit when he was released after nine months. The courts ordered financial restitution but I got nothing. The law you love so much helped me not at all. It was of no help to me to know the law would deal with them after the attack was over. Everything Martin Bryant did was against the laws you love. Laws protect nobody, they only become relevant after the crime has been committed. My attacker only got out of gaol two weeks before attacking me, he knew he was breaking numerous laws kicking the back door in at 2am to attempt to kill me with a knife - laws meant nothing to him because he was a criminal.

You are nuts. Clearly you have been indoctrinated to believe "more laws is what we need because laws are good". Laws do nothing useful to protect the public from criminal activity. They are no better than restraining orders.

You really enjoy that word ignorant, except you prefer to use it to insult people rather than make them less ignorant. To educate people would bring them up to your level of knowledge, but then you wouldn't be able to talk down to them...

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I'm not trying to redirect any discussion.

Yes you are trying to redirect!.

on_one-wheel's statement is not correct, for clarity here it is again "Laws only affect the law abiding."

Given that people are incarcerated because they have been found guilty of breaking the law, so therefore aren't law abiding, its clearly having an affect on them at some level.

So to clarify your argument again, are you claiming it doesn't have an affect on them, even though they have been incarcerated for not following them.

Can you see the problem here? or am I expecting to much from you?

bladeracer wrote:

I have already covered the usage of "prevent" .

If you want the statement to make logical sense, you would be better off saying "laws don't prevent all crimes" falling to quantify the statement makes it a flawed by specious reasoning. Which I have already pointed out.

bladeracer wrote:I use the word prevent the same way the vast majority of the population use it. You prevent something by stopping it from happening, laws prevent nothing.

They say, ignorance is bliss, which I guess is true, as you don't seem to take it well when someone shatters that bliss.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 18 Apr 2022, 10:21 am

FFS back to the original topic. This forum every topic just wanders off into a complete wank fest
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2022, 10:21 am

Bugman wrote:Shame. This original post was quite interesting. But it is being slowly hijacked and becoming very boring.

Was it though?
The first few posts are just joking responses, not discussion. The original post was merely an observation of poor journalism. Then a genuine post was made about how the situation occurred, and a response mentioned that the law sucks. As soon as the law was questioned our resident legal expert jumped into the conversation, as usual by calling somebody ignorant, and tried to convince us that there's nothing wrong with laws and that we really need a lot more of them. If any redirection of the topic occurred it was due to his intolerance of anybody having a go at our legal system.

If you skip over his pedantry you will see a discussion about how the law helps none of us, which I find more interesting than discussing journalism :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 18 Apr 2022, 10:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Bugman wrote:Shame. This original post was quite interesting. But it is being slowly hijacked and becoming very boring.

Was it though?
The first few posts are just joking responses, not discussion. The original post was merely an observation of poor journalism. Then a genuine post was made about how the situation occurred, and a response mentioned that the law sucks. As soon as the law was questioned our resident legal expert jumped into the conversation, as usual by calling somebody ignorant, and tried to convince us that there's nothing wrong with laws and that we really need a lot more of them. If any redirection of the topic occurred it was due to his intolerance of anybody having a go at our legal system.

If you skip over his pedantry you will see a discussion about how the law helps none of us, which I find more interesting than discussing journalism :-)

I take your point. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2022, 10:51 am

Larry wrote:FFS back to the original topic. This forum every topic just wanders off into a complete wank fest

The original topic wasn't even a discussion though, just one-liners about the poor journalism in an article. If you have something to add to it just go for it, makes more sense than whining about the thread's direction while contributing nothing to it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics