Lucky Gunner Ammo - The Backyard Sniper

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Lucky Gunner Ammo - The Backyard Sniper

Post by jwai86 » 15 Apr 2022, 9:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsr9uVVR0ak

Suppressors are next to impossible to acquire in Australia, but everything else in the video might be of some relevance when it comes to a .22 bolt action rifle used for hunting or pest control.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Lucky Gunner Ammo - The Backyard Sniper

Post by Bugman » 16 Apr 2022, 7:33 am

I would not recommend anything like that if you want to keep your licence.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2022, 9:51 am

Bugman wrote:I would not recommend anything like that if you want to keep your licence.

Did I miss something?
All I saw was a bloke talking about his Savage .22LR rifle, but I only got about halfway before deciding there wasn't anything of interest there.
I didn't see anything that would have any interest to Police in NSW.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 16 Apr 2022, 2:13 pm

Not really BUT the mere investigation of anything that says suppressor or similar here in oz, or similar stuff (suppressor or not) may attract an unwelcome interest. Just my opinion mind you. I think that jwai86 first mentioned the word suppressor and that is not always a good thing. Strange though, ok in NZ and the UK so what does that make us?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 16 Apr 2022, 2:41 pm

Wow, the thought police are onto me already.

I only mentioned a fact that should already be common knowledge among Australian shooters, and don't believe I am encouraging anyone to do anything that is illegal.

And I thought I read too much into situations.
Last edited by jwai86 on 16 Apr 2022, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2022, 3:53 pm

Bugman wrote:Not really BUT the mere investigation of anything that says suppressor or similar here in oz, or similar stuff (suppressor or not) may attract an unwelcome interest. Just my opinion mind you. I think that jwai86 first mentioned the word suppressor and that is not always a good thing. Strange though, ok in NZ and the UK so what does that make us?

As far as I could see, although his specific rifle was suppressed, the suppressor played no roll in the video discussion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2022, 3:54 pm

jwai86 wrote:Wow, the thought police are onto me already.

I only mentioned a fact that should already be common knowledge among Australian shooters, and don't believe I am encouraging anyone do anything that is illegal.

I didn't actually see anything in the video of any relevance to us specifically, but maybe he changed direction after I stopped watching. It's just a bloke talking about using his .22Lr to control pests around the farm isn't it?

I didn't watch it when you posted it because I dislike clicking links that have no context with them.
After it generated discussion indicating it might be firearm related at least I gave it a look but saw nothing interesting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 16 Apr 2022, 4:50 pm

jwai86 wrote:Wow, the thought police are onto me already.

I only mentioned a fact that should already be common knowledge among Australian shooters, and don't believe I am encouraging anyone do anything that is illegal.

No one would think that, I'm sure.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 17 Apr 2022, 10:20 am

bladeracer wrote:I didn't actually see anything in the video of any relevance to us specifically, but maybe he changed direction after I stopped watching. It's just a bloke talking about using his .22Lr to control pests around the farm isn't it?

I didn't watch it when you posted it because I dislike clicking links that have no context with them.
After it generated discussion indicating it might be firearm related at least I gave it a look but saw nothing interesting.

I only said that it might be of some relevance, but yeah, it was the presenter talking about how he put his .22 bolt action setup together and why he did certain things at the time that he might do differently now.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2022, 1:10 pm

jwai86 wrote:I only said that it might be of some relevance, but yeah, it was the presenter talking about how he put his .22 bolt action setup together and why he did certain things at the time that he might do differently now.

I'm sure lots of people might get something out of the video, I just didn't see anything useful for myself, some background about the link might've prevented me wasting a few minutes on it. I don't know how bugman became focussed on suppressors as I didn't see much mention of the suppressor at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 17 Apr 2022, 3:05 pm

It was only mentioned once or twice. Suppressors have really no place, legally here in Australia. (who knows, could change though) The video was apparently really designed for countries etc that allow them. That is what I became focussed on because there are most probably shooters out there that want one, want to use one etc. To post such a video, that is promoting a suppressor has no relevance in this country unless you are licensed to use such an item. By the way, I have in my past, been licensed to use such an accessory, along with a semi auto (Ruger 10/22) for "pest control" but not in my "backyard". I would say that there are people dumb enough to see this video and think it is ok in this country. If you want to use this accessory, go and live in the US, New Zealand or the UK. That is what I became focussed on.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2022, 4:12 pm

Bugman wrote:It was only mentioned once or twice. Suppressors have really no place, legally here in Australia. (who knows, could change though) The video was apparently really designed for countries etc that allow them. That is what I became focussed on because there are most probably shooters out there that want one, want to use one etc. To post such a video, that is promoting a suppressor has no relevance in this country unless you are licensed to use such an item. By the way, I have in my past, been licensed to use such an accessory, along with a semi auto (Ruger 10/22) for "pest control" but not in my "backyard". I would say that there are people dumb enough to see this video and think it is ok in this country. If you want to use this accessory, go and live in the US, New Zealand or the UK. That is what I became focussed on.

If it were a suppressor video you might have something, though there's no reason people can't be interested in things they can't own or do.

But the video wasn't about suppressors at all, at least what I saw of it. It certainly wasn't promoting suppressed shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Apr 2022, 4:57 pm

There's no harm in talking about suppressors providing there's no discussion about conspiring to break the law.
I think there should be more discussion and action to pressure our government into making suppressors more assessable to licensed shooters.
Common sense would suggest they'd be better off making then mandatory rather than heavily restricted.

Allowing suppressors could even see pressure removed from clubs who are experiencing noise pollution complaints.

Shooters would be better protected.
General public in or adjacent torural settings would be less alarmed by the sound of gunshot which will be helpful in removing problem calls to the police that need time consuming and time wasting call outs.

Both rifles and pistols are less concealable with the added length of suppressor.

Both rifles and pistols are safer with the added length of suppressors.

Stress reduction on non target species.

More effective pest management.

The benefits of using suppressors outweigh the single drawback that's not even genuinely relevant "criminals will let shots off undetected"... mainly because If criminals want suppressors the current rules won't stop them doing as they please, secondly they won't silence 99% of ammunition on the market and even if they do let shots off in silence, what's the big deal ? Is it a problem that that people who don't see what has happened aren't traumatised by loud gunshots ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 17 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bugman wrote:It was only mentioned once or twice. Suppressors have really no place, legally here in Australia. (who knows, could change though) The video was apparently really designed for countries etc that allow them. That is what I became focussed on because there are most probably shooters out there that want one, want to use one etc. To post such a video, that is promoting a suppressor has no relevance in this country unless you are licensed to use such an item. By the way, I have in my past, been licensed to use such an accessory, along with a semi auto (Ruger 10/22) for "pest control" but not in my "backyard". I would say that there are people dumb enough to see this video and think it is ok in this country. If you want to use this accessory, go and live in the US, New Zealand or the UK. That is what I became focussed on.

If it were a suppressor video you might have something, though there's no reason people can't be interested in things they can't own or do.

But the video wasn't about suppressors at all, at least what I saw of it. It certainly wasn't promoting suppressed shooting.

Didn't say it was a suppressor video, only that it mentioned it. My opinion only. really don't give a rats of other opinions on this matter.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 17 Apr 2022, 9:18 pm

I find yanks (i think hes one) bloody annoying on youtube etc they take a fricken hell of a long time to say bugger all..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Firearms related media and politics