The Project, Channel 10

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: The Project, Channel 10

Post by Warrigul » 02 May 2014, 8:44 pm

1290 wrote:So are you guys suggesting that every place of public congregation, of public interest or where people may be expected to gather be cordoned by a rim of security, checkpoints and roving para-military types...?? Society has failed if we need that... We need to be aware of our surrounds and take responsibility.

Possibly not as far as that but a Policeman on duty for the approx 1000 people on site that day(it was the off season and gets many more than that normally) wouldn't have hurt, at least a random appearance may be enough to discourage the next nut. Certainly more than a cop nearly two hours away.

Soft targets get hit, simple fact. If someone is going to profit from running an attraction such as Port Arthur why shouldn't basic security such as you would have at a footy game or concert apply?

If there had been any sort of security there in 1996 Bryant may not have had such a big impact on Australian life, this is a fact that is often overlooked and we certainly haven't learnt from it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 03 May 2014, 8:03 am

Security yes. Police no.
All places where humanity congregates unfortunately due to human nature - require some response to straighten out 'situations' whether two drivers get into a violent fight over the closest carpark to the hot dog vendor or otherwise.

Police presence is intimidating to many 'normal' law abiding peoples (as well as the other type).
If the police were located 100m down the road would that have saved many lives? Any lives? The cafe was 'cleared' in maybe a couple of minutes or less depending on who you believe... Shooter with semi auto vs one or two (s**t scared?) police officers with 38 specials?

PAM was years in the planning and those witnesses with conflicting accounts; I dont think they got a chance to stand up in court and give their recollection of events.

If you disagree with the official line your shouted down and accused of insensitivity to the victims and families and as crazed a gun nut as the murderous perpetrator. I'm expecting the next post to be a mod locking this because "we've heard enough of the PAM, 'he' had his day in court think of the victims families....."
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 03 May 2014, 12:10 pm

1290 wrote:If you disagree with the official line your shouted down and accused of insensitivity to the victims and families and as crazed a gun nut as the murderous perpetrator. I'm expecting the next post to be a mod locking this because "we've heard enough of the PAM, 'he' had his day in court think of the victims families....."

You are allowed your opinions but just personally I don't believe in any conspiracy etc.

We are a long way off track though and Port Arthur has been done to death many times.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 04 May 2014, 5:43 pm

Just to get back on topic, I would not waste electricity on The Project. It's a low level show with a low level attitude and no journalistic qualifications whatsoever. These clowns are just mid level "comedians" who are about as funny as a fart in an elevator. Come to think of it, that's a lot funnier than they are... But anyway, I believe it's like a lot of the crap that passes for programming on 10. All aimed at the lowest common denominator of couch potato. And anyway I really don't like that designer stubble they all seem to effect. Except the girls of course. Maybe a writing campaign to the shows advertisers would be useful but I doubt it. Exercise your democratic right provided by the remote control.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 04 May 2014, 5:46 pm

Pretty much spot on there HS.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant