The Project, Channel 10

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: The Project, Channel 10

Post by Aster » 30 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

Fixed the link issue there.

Something funny with their mobile URL? I dunno. Sorted anyway.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by WesleySnipes » 30 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm

That's messed up.

Waiting for the obligatory "ban all kitchen knives" post.

Countries need to recognise and get serious on mental health. People need to stop blaming the object and leaving the real problem go unnoticed.

There's a reason things like this keep happening over and over again.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 30 Apr 2014, 5:59 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:People need to stop blaming the object and leaving the real problem go unnoticed.

Yep.

We'd all had to be locked in rubber rooms to get away from anything that could potentially hurt you.

Easier to blame to big scary "weapons" than address any real issues.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 30 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

Aster wrote:Fixed the link issue there.

Something funny with their mobile URL? I dunno. Sorted anyway.

Thanks mate :)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 01 May 2014, 7:08 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I forgot to add, big ugly fat-necked wombat headed, big bellied magpie legged, narrow hipped splaw-footed sons of Irish Bailiffs and english landlords !

See - don't you feel so much better now? :lol: I wonder how many of us actually contact advertisers on these city centric, popularist programs and threaten to NOT buy their products unless these presenters are reigned in. I'll fess up and say I don't and we clearly ALL should! We are not loud enough and way to inclined to not bother. Maybe the old "Someone else will do it" syndrome.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 May 2014, 10:38 am

I haven't had a TV for about 4 years now.

Still nice to miss out on all this frustrating rubbish :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 02 May 2014, 5:12 pm

1290 wrote:
The most repulsive fact is that a persons mediaworthy life is worth a great deal more if it was ended with a gun.

I have spent the past few days in the Hobart area, whilst there I took the kids to Port Arthur for the day, walked in and bought tickets with a backpack with a few lunch items clanging around, no security, metal detectors or guards around whatsoever.

HAS ANYTHING BEEN LEARNT FROM THE TRAGEDY THAT OCCURRED when the government dropped the bag and failed to protect 35 innocent citizens in 1996?

Obviously not apart from disarming law abiding citizens and costing the country millions.

There is still no security on site and it is still over an hours drive to the nearest Police station.

The government has the right to disarm me by all means but at least make an effort to protect myself and my family.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 May 2014, 5:46 pm

The government does NOT have the right to disarm you in my eyes. The fact that some people think defending their families lives as well as their own is the government's responsibility is beyond me. It's not. I've been to Port Arthur, it was about 5 years ago, and no security what so ever. And people may disagree with me on this, but I have no doubt that if the government recognised it was the individual's right to protect their life and allowed them to carry concealed pistols under licensing if they chose to, I can guarantee a lot less than 35 people would of died.

And no, people never learn from the massacres, they never will, because the original problem was NEVER even considered in the first place. It's funny how the media always notes that these mass murderers have serious cases of mental illness, almost always untreated, and then say that guns are the problem... to me that isn't logical, they are recognising the real problem then ignoring it.

And considering only around 3.5% of guns bought during the buyback were centrefire semi automatics and most of them were semi auto rimfires they completely failed what they were trying to achieve.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 02 May 2014, 5:58 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:And no, people never learn from the massacres, they never will, because the original problem was NEVER even considered in the first place. It's funny how the media always notes that these mass murderers have serious cases of mental illness, almost always untreated, and then say that guns are the problem... to me that isn't logical, they are recognising the real problem then ignoring it.

Yep,

I have looked and looked and i cannot find one single firearm that has been charged with murder or declared insane............................
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 May 2014, 6:08 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Yep,

I have looked and looked and i cannot find one single firearm that has been charged with murder or declared insane............................

Are you seriously insinuating that guns aren't responsible for crimes?!?!?! BUT THEY ARE EVIL AND CAN ONLY BE USED FOR MURDER AND PAIN ;)

Oh and looking at your avatar... I just finished watching Pulp fiction a few hours ago for probably the 100th time :D
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 02 May 2014, 6:42 pm

So are you guys suggesting that every place of public congregation, of public interest or where people may be expected to gather be cordoned by a rim of security, checkpoints and roving para-military types...?? Society has failed if we need that... We need to be aware of our surrounds and take responsibility.

Else THEY have won. Eg, the USA, go to the airport and you may end up with a cavity search, xray at minimum....

As far as PAM goes, sorry, but a guy with the IQ of a simpleton did not successfully execute that Port Arthur 'operation' at least, at the bare minimum not ON HIS OWN.... there was more to it than we were told.... I'll leave it there as no doubt discussing PAM, is not PC to most around these parts...

As far as our rights, other nations allow firearms to be held at home for defence, unregistered unlicensed, here though in the promised land we BELIEVE salvation in a time of need is a 000 phone call away and as such; 'we have no need for the tools of self defence' how wrong you are you treasonous deceit peddlers.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 May 2014, 6:54 pm

No, I was suggesting exactly what you are, for us to take responsibility for ourselves, and I wish we could with concealed firearms. There's no greater fear for a criminal then not knowing who has a concealed carry license on them and getting shot.

I do however think there should be at least a few security blokes there considering the closest police station is so far away considering there is such a high volume of people going there. That is why Bryant did it there, there was no law enforcement around and they were all helpless. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

People who say we have no need for effective tools against criminals are usual idiotic bureaucrats living in well off gated communities. The vast majority of us though aren't that fortunate and need all the help we can get to protect ourselves if need be.

And funny you should say that, I said exactly the same thing to my parents a few months ago. It was impossible of someone with that IQ and lack of training to kill as many people as he did that quickly. The rate at which he killed the amount of people he did, he would of have to of been an EXTREMELY competent and trained marksman. Most people in the special forces probably couldn't deal out that much damage with that much precision. Considering there were so many headshots etc.

And I can't remember their names, but there are a few witnesses who were there in the cafe that survived that still don't believe it was him, claiming they saw someone with a different description.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 02 May 2014, 8:44 pm

1290 wrote:So are you guys suggesting that every place of public congregation, of public interest or where people may be expected to gather be cordoned by a rim of security, checkpoints and roving para-military types...?? Society has failed if we need that... We need to be aware of our surrounds and take responsibility.

Possibly not as far as that but a Policeman on duty for the approx 1000 people on site that day(it was the off season and gets many more than that normally) wouldn't have hurt, at least a random appearance may be enough to discourage the next nut. Certainly more than a cop nearly two hours away.

Soft targets get hit, simple fact. If someone is going to profit from running an attraction such as Port Arthur why shouldn't basic security such as you would have at a footy game or concert apply?

If there had been any sort of security there in 1996 Bryant may not have had such a big impact on Australian life, this is a fact that is often overlooked and we certainly haven't learnt from it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 03 May 2014, 8:03 am

Security yes. Police no.
All places where humanity congregates unfortunately due to human nature - require some response to straighten out 'situations' whether two drivers get into a violent fight over the closest carpark to the hot dog vendor or otherwise.

Police presence is intimidating to many 'normal' law abiding peoples (as well as the other type).
If the police were located 100m down the road would that have saved many lives? Any lives? The cafe was 'cleared' in maybe a couple of minutes or less depending on who you believe... Shooter with semi auto vs one or two (s**t scared?) police officers with 38 specials?

PAM was years in the planning and those witnesses with conflicting accounts; I dont think they got a chance to stand up in court and give their recollection of events.

If you disagree with the official line your shouted down and accused of insensitivity to the victims and families and as crazed a gun nut as the murderous perpetrator. I'm expecting the next post to be a mod locking this because "we've heard enough of the PAM, 'he' had his day in court think of the victims families....."
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 03 May 2014, 12:10 pm

1290 wrote:If you disagree with the official line your shouted down and accused of insensitivity to the victims and families and as crazed a gun nut as the murderous perpetrator. I'm expecting the next post to be a mod locking this because "we've heard enough of the PAM, 'he' had his day in court think of the victims families....."

You are allowed your opinions but just personally I don't believe in any conspiracy etc.

We are a long way off track though and Port Arthur has been done to death many times.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 04 May 2014, 5:43 pm

Just to get back on topic, I would not waste electricity on The Project. It's a low level show with a low level attitude and no journalistic qualifications whatsoever. These clowns are just mid level "comedians" who are about as funny as a fart in an elevator. Come to think of it, that's a lot funnier than they are... But anyway, I believe it's like a lot of the crap that passes for programming on 10. All aimed at the lowest common denominator of couch potato. And anyway I really don't like that designer stubble they all seem to effect. Except the girls of course. Maybe a writing campaign to the shows advertisers would be useful but I doubt it. Exercise your democratic right provided by the remote control.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 04 May 2014, 5:46 pm

Pretty much spot on there HS.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant