Japanese double-barrel firearm

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Japanese double-barrel firearm

Post by NTSOG » 08 Jul 2022, 6:26 pm

G'day,

Did any one see the homemade DB firearm on the news tonight used to shoot a past PM? It looked like two 12" tubes taped together with electrical tape. It definitely wasn't a computer-designed/printed weapon. Japan, I believe, has virtually no gun crime, but where there's a will there's a way and no [new] laws will stop those whose intent is malicious.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Japanese double-barrel firearm

Post by Tomotron » 08 Jul 2022, 7:02 pm

Battery-operated trigger I believe and the assassin was ex-navy. That was a pipe gun for sure.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Jul 2022, 7:07 pm

I saw a cloud of blue smoke. Was that Black Powder?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Tomotron » 08 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I saw a cloud of blue smoke. Was that Black Powder?

Yeah, that was black powder for sure.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Jul 2022, 12:41 am

Could have made his own propellant
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Jul 2022, 1:16 am

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 09 Jul 2022, 6:58 am

wonder was it a howa
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by No1_49er » 09 Jul 2022, 8:17 am

No, not a Howa.
More like a Howdah :lol:
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Robin » 09 Jul 2022, 9:02 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Did any one see the homemade DB firearm on the news tonight used to shoot a past PM? It looked like two 12" tubes taped together with electrical tape. It definitely wasn't a computer-designed/printed weapon. Japan, I believe, has virtually no gun crime, but where there's a will there's a way and no [new] laws will stop those whose intent is malicious.

Jim

Where there is a will there is a way, however when your talking about a large population with less then 10 gun deaths a year, its pretty impressive, and it puts the Americans to shame, maybe the US needs to adopt some of the same rules.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Jul 2022, 9:18 am

Assassins don’t typically adhere to rules
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 09 Jul 2022, 9:21 am

I'd imagine a lead sinker a 300 or 400fps would more than enough to penetrate the skull.

Sad result for Japan and Mr Abe.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 09 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

The Americans (USA) have a Constitution for which there is a Second Amendment.
Part of the wording of that is "Shall Not be Infringed".
You would be well advised to understand that the Constitution was written by some very wise men who understood that it is "The People" who ultimately hold power and not a group of elected servants who might want to exceed their authority, hence the Amendment which gives "the people" the wherewithal to take back control from those who might want to create another tyranny, the likes of which they had not long rejected i.e., the English and French "masters".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 09 Jul 2022, 9:55 am

womble: "Assassins don’t typically adhere to rules."

And therein lies the problem for societies around the world: how to tell the nutters and extremists from the peaceful majority before they kill. The recent shooting in Chicago demonstrated that even when an individual is clearly dangerous and voicing intent to kill those who know this [including families] and the authorities often don't act. I wonder if anyone knew this Japanese man was on the edge politically and mentally?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 09 Jul 2022, 10:55 am

No1_49er wrote:The Americans (USA) have a Constitution for which there is a Second Amendment.
You would be well advised to understand that the Constitution was written by some very wise men who understood that it is "The People" who ultimately hold power and not a group of elected servants who might want to exceed their authority, hence the Amendment which gives "the people" the wherewithal to take back control from those who might want to create another tyranny, the likes of which they had not long rejected i.e., the English and French "masters".

No, like all such documents before it and after it. It was written for few reasons, one to make sure the elites remain in power.

So gibberish was put in there to garnet the support ofc southern states folks... same southern states that allowed slavery and where women and black... anyone who isn't a white man given a lesser degree of importance
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2022, 1:10 pm

Robin wrote:

Jim

Where there is a will there is a way, however when your talking about a large population with less then 10 gun deaths a year, its pretty impressive, and it puts the Americans to shame, maybe the US needs to adopt some of the same rules.

But what are the murder rates like. I have NFI.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Jul 2022, 3:21 pm

cz515 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:The Americans (USA) have a Constitution for which there is a Second Amendment.

No, like all such documents before it and after it. It was written for few reasons, one to make sure the elites remain in power.

So gibberish was put in there to garnet the support ofc southern states folks... same southern states that allowed slavery and where women and black... anyone who isn't a white man given a lesser degree of importance

You should probably have a better read of it because you are terribly ill informed.
And while you’re at it try the Declaration of Independence.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 5:04 pm

Robin wrote:

Jim

Firearm homicides are no better or worse than any other type of homicide.
Japan has five times our population, about 70% more homicides - 330-ish compared to our 230-ish per year. I think Japan has much larger organised crime though. Japan also has almost 20,000 suicides every year - here we have about 3000.
The UK (England/Wales) has virtually banned firearm usage and still sees 600 homicides every year. Firearms are not the issue.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Jul 2022, 5:53 pm

Per capita Japan’s homicide rate is one of if not the lowest in the world.
Unlike us they have a pretty good handle on organised crime too.
Granted suicides in japan are extremely popular.

Firearm laws and ownership in the UK Is less restrictive than here.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 6:45 pm

womble wrote:Per capita Japan’s homicide rate is one of if not the lowest in the world.

How do you figure that?
They can still own semi-auto rimfire rifles (.22LR only), which we can't.
They can't own handguns, which we can.
They can't own semi-auto centrefire rifles, same as us.
They can't own centre-fire pump rifles, which we can.
They can't own "Lever-Release" rifles, which we can.
They have very restricted limits on how much rimfire and centrefire (not shotshells) ammo they can own, and can't generally own "expanding bullets" - hunters can apply for exemptions.
They have limits on how many firearms they can own, we don't (except for CatC - which they can't even own).
They can have suppressors, which we can't.
They have a more relaxed view of low-power air-guns, which we don't.
They have a slightly-relaxed view of "basic" shotguns, which is essentially equivalent to our CatA licence - except we can have lever-actions and more than two-shot mags.

They have no public land for hunting or shooting on - we still do, though it is localised to Victoria/NSW. I believe their "shooting on private property" is similar to NSW, either you are hunting or zeroing, not simply enjoying yourself or practicing your skills.

If you really like semi-auto .22's, or suppressors, or low-power air-guns, or only want to shoot competitions at clubs, then I guess their laws are less restrictive than ours. If you just want to enjoy shooting with whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like, then we're better off.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Jul 2022, 8:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
womble wrote:Per capita Japan’s homicide rate is one of if not the lowest in the world.

How do you figure that?
They have very restricted limits on how much rimfire and centrefire (not shotshells) ammo they can own, and can't generally own "expanding bullets" - hunters can apply for exemptions.
They have limits on how many firearms they can own, we don't (except for CatC - which they can't even own).
They have a slightly-relaxed view of "basic" shotguns, which is essentially equivalent to our CatA licence - except we can have lever-actions and more than two-shot mags.

They have no public land for hunting or shooting on - we still do, though it is localised to Victoria/NSW. I believe their "shooting on private property" is similar to NSW, either you are hunting or zeroing, not simply enjoying yourself or practicing your skills.

If you really like semi-auto .22's, or suppressors, or low-power air-guns, or only want to shoot competitions at clubs, then I guess their laws are less restrictive than ours. If you just want to enjoy shooting with whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like, then we're better off.

Interestingly,having spoken at reasonable length to a Japanese hunter on a shotgun group a while ago,private property isn't quite the same as we consider it. It seems as though farm land can be accessed by anyone,as long as they don't damage anything. So in a way hunters have far more access to land than we do,once they get everything else sorted
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 09 Jul 2022, 8:55 pm

The assassination weapon was indeed two open ended pipe bombs taped to a handle of some kind . Set off electrically ( probably used electric detonators ) and probably a small amount of black powder propellant from the smoke cloud that ensued . He could have made his own black powder or more likely opened up fireworks and used that black powder . The security people were incredibly slack but this type of crime is rare in Japan and our security systems and policies are pretty slack also for the same reasons . Seems crazy the killer said he did not disagree with Mr Abe's political policies ? I would be looking very hard at who may have assisted that guy or put him up to it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 10:24 pm

bigpete wrote:Interestingly,having spoken at reasonable length to a Japanese hunter on a shotgun group a while ago,private property isn't quite the same as we consider it. It seems as though farm land can be accessed by anyone, as long as they don't damage anything. So in a way hunters have far more access to land than we do, once they get everything else sorted

Seems unlikely, but the handful of people allowed to hunt are probably within the elite classes anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 09 Jul 2022, 10:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:..

Semi-auto shotguns are also easily obtainable in the UK but mag tubes have to be crimped to a maximum of 2 shells, private rural land shooting is similar to QLD so you can do 'recreational' shooting rather than just sighting and hunting but there is no public land hunting, and to be fair. not that much public land anyway. In addition, unless laws have changed recently, you can organize competitions on private property and suppressors are over the counter items that anyone can buy and are actually compulsory at some clubs due to nose restrictions. Sub 12 ft-lb air rifles and sub 6 ft-lb air pistols are also over the counter items and freely available to anyone over 18.

Rifle and shotgun restrictions are largely similar to Australia with some give and take but we do have much better access to handguns

As I understand it, in Japan it's very difficult to even get shotguns and every shell has to be very carefully accounted for, rifles are available to very few and only after many years of shotgun use and proof of significant genuine need.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 10 Jul 2022, 12:30 am

bladeracer wrote:Firearm homicides are no better or worse than any other type of homicide.
Japan has five times our population, about 70% more homicides - 330-ish compared to our 230-ish per year. I think Japan has much larger organised crime though. Japan also has almost 20,000 suicides every year - here we have about 3000.
The UK (England/Wales) has virtually banned firearm usage and still sees 600 homicides every year. Firearms are not the issue.

Yes, a homicide is a homicide, I'm not sure why these folks get all wrapped up in parsing it out. Whether a terrorist kills with a knife, gun, big truck, plane, poisoning, it matters little, dead is still dead.

In places like Europe for decades now, they've had endless mass killings with trucks, planes, fire, explosives, knives. Same in places like China and India too.

The Japan incident shows gun control of legal gun owners doesn't stop killers if they are determined. The Japanese police later seized a 9 shot gun from the killers residence.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 10 Jul 2022, 1:14 am

bladeracer wrote:

How do you figure that?

Very good points.
I need to register a toy gun in Australia and hold a firearms licence to play with it. And keep it in an approved safe.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Jul 2022, 7:48 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:Interestingly,having spoken at reasonable length to a Japanese hunter on a shotgun group a while ago,private property isn't quite the same as we consider it. It seems as though farm land can be accessed by anyone, as long as they don't damage anything. So in a way hunters have far more access to land than we do, once they get everything else sorted

Seems unlikely, but the handful of people allowed to hunt are probably within the elite classes anyway.

Well,he was born there and lived there and hunted there,so I guess he was wrong then lol. Also wasn't one of " the elite " by any stretch of the imagination.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by N.Field » 10 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Robin wrote:

Jim

But what are the murder rates like. I have NFI.

Low, 0.03 per 100,000 in 2020. The US rate for 2020 was 7.8 per 100,000.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Japan/Homicide-rate

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/06/heal ... index.html
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2022, 4:29 pm

Hmm... I guess dictating his political beliefs as a non elected leader eventually because annoying.

It appears the natives are beginning to get restless with the mismanagement of this planet.

We need some kind of illness that causes brain fog to stop them over thinking... perhaps even a non stop series of injections that amplify the brain fogging effect, we could probably create enough fear that they'll line up for the jabbs even though they clearly provide zero protection from the illness. :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 10 Jul 2022, 5:59 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2022, 6:30 pm

womble wrote:Image

That's what happens when you don't eat your mushrooms ... everything seems so far fetched.

Just remember, reality is for people who can't face drugs.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics