Georgia grants greater firearm freedoms

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Georgia grants greater firearm freedoms

Post by Eduardo » 09 May 2014, 1:59 pm

Hey Wobble,

Don't really disagree with you, not at all in fact. For me, hunting and marksmanship training constitutes 95% of why I own guns. I live in a fairly good neighborhood and have developed enough wits to stay out of the bad ones so the self defense aspects of gun ownership don't really rank that high for me. I have a large safe that stores my full collection and a small biometric safe that sits on my nightstand (thanks to my wife).

However, I don't feel that my home could never be invaded, it does happen and given my history I have made it a point to ensure that a gun is available to me and my family. I could do better though, something I think of often (but am not a slave to) is that if my firearms are in one of two places, my garage and my bedroom - what do I do if someone breaks in my front door while I'm watching TV in my living room?

When I was a kid, my Dad hid guns in various strategic locations in the house (because we lived in a s**ty neighborhood). It's because of this that I was able to get to the closest one when our home was invaded. As a result I sometimes keep a handgun closer at hand, but not as consistently as I probably should. I will eventually setup safe places to store firearms in more than just two places (3 will probably do). Regardless, my guns are certainly put away when I am not present.

Every situation is different though. My personal situation is that my children are older, my youngest is 16 and my oldest is 23. All have been taught how to safely handle firearms. My Dad never has young people visit his place, so he only locks up his firearms when he is away. If I had young children I would likely not make my firearms available to my children without supervision, regardless of training.

However I still maintain that education is the better option (although the best option is security and education). Kids will find that shotgun you have hidden in your closet, they can even guess safe combinations. And if they don't, they can find guns when they visit friends homes. The point is you have to assume that in the many years in which you have a gun in your home, your children will eventually come into contact with them without your supervision. In some cases even if you do not own a firearm.

My best friend has young children that come over to visit frequently. I always lock everything before they come over. But when they come of age I will be teaching them gun safety as well. It's as fundamental as teaching your kids how to operate a fire extinguisher or dial 911.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by crys » 11 May 2014, 8:25 am

pajamatime wrote:That is a bit strange, I suspect some states are preparing for civil war though.

Yeah, just a whiff of anti-government sentiment there.
crys
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 11 May 2014, 8:26 am

Hey Eduardo,

Sounds like we're more or less on the same page.

It's complicated and little differences can make sticking points. What else can you say...

If I come up with the perfect solution I'll let you know :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Norton » 11 May 2014, 8:27 am

If you come up with the perfect solution sort out Australia first.

:P
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics