Qld police shooting

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Qld police shooting

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 7:54 pm

JohnV wrote:Very bad business indeed , this kind of thing should not happen . I don't know what the hell is wrong with some people now .
Must be drugs sending them nuts .

Quite simply, the world, collectively, is losing its sh!t John.

You just have to read virtually any comments section of any news outlet.

They're all itchin' for a bitchin' to feed that outrage addiction.

The news outlets love it, they feed them endless gossip and opinion dressed up as journalism and the jackals go off like a jilted drama queen.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 8:15 pm

str8shutr wrote:For what it's worth, this report indicates that police firearms were acquired (so, I'd guess probably not much more than a Glock 9mm?) and used against police:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPalCh-R9w&t=55s
This could explain references to semi-auto firearms.

This piece indicates that the shooters may have been in possession of unregistered firearms:
https://youtu.be/ccRudYmg3cs?t=237

Although fair question to ask how can the media can be sure of their intel, e.g. how do they know for certain that "there were no firearms registered to this address"?

I did see a report that the slain officers' sidearms were taken, but why they would use those against tactical Police when they clearly have longarms already doesn't make sense to me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 13 Dec 2022, 8:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
str8shutr wrote:For what it's worth, this report indicates that police firearms were acquired (so, I'd guess probably not much more than a Glock 9mm?) and used against police:

This piece indicates that the shooters may have been in possession of unregistered firearms:

Although fair question to ask how can the media can be sure of their intel, e.g. how do they know for certain that "there were no firearms registered to this address"?

I did see a report that the slain officers' sidearms were taken, but why they would use those against tactical Police when they clearly have longarms already doesn't make sense to me.

Not much about this makes sense, really, does it?
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 10:39 pm

str8shutr wrote:Not much about this makes sense, really, does it?

It strikes me that lives were lost because information that should have been known didn't make it out to the people that needed it. Nothing new I'm afraid. Officers got sent to a remote property to ask about a missing person related to somebody there. They're investigating a missing person, somebody must've been trawling the MP's social media as part of that investigation, saw what sort of stuff he was into, must've easily connected him to his brother (which is why they went looking for him), and saw the stuff he was into as well. If the officers were aware then they were bloody lax, if they were unaware then somebody else was negligent. If it turns out any of them have criminal records for violence then it will really blow up. I'm not seeing any conspiracy though if that's where you're going.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 13 Dec 2022, 10:54 pm

No conspiracies here.

I just hope the community as a whole doesn't suffer from the possibility of an itchy trigger finger amongst the rest of the force on the job.
This sort of thing would put all beat cops on edge. Any feelings of paranoia would be entirely understandable.

I thought it was nuts reading about an electricity meter reader being mauled to death by a dog a week or so back. Then this piece of tragedy comes along.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 11:05 pm

str8shutr wrote:No conspiracies here.

I just hope the community as a whole doesn't suffer from the possibility of an itchy trigger finger amongst the rest of the force on the job.
This sort of thing would put all beat cops on edge. Any feelings of paranoia would be entirely understandable.

I thought it was nuts reading about an electricity meter reader being mauled to death by a dog a week or so back. Then this piece of tragedy comes along.

Agreed, but to avoid coming after us they have to admit they screwed up, and I haven't seen them happy about doing that in recent times...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 14 Dec 2022, 7:28 am

Over here concerns were raised with the proper people but hey what would we know. Most of us try and protect our sport/hobby so are more than happy to report anything that is going to put us all in jeapardy
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 14 Dec 2022, 10:01 am

Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2022, 10:36 am

I have purposefully NOT read any posts on this matter because due to the early stages of the incidence a lot of what's put up
is likely to be conjecture/speculation.

I just find it extremely sad that two police officers and a citizen have lost their lives as a result.

Two police officers (apparently very young) who would have been simply doing their job,,,,,,,,,,, are now no longer.
My condolences to their family and loved ones.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 14 Dec 2022, 11:13 am

Lazarus wrote:
JohnV wrote:Very bad business indeed , this kind of thing should not happen . I don't know what the hell is wrong with some people now .

Quite simply, the world, collectively, is losing its sh!t John.

You just have to read virtually any comments section of any news outlet.

They're all itchin' for a bitchin' to feed that outrage addiction.

The news outlets love it, they feed them endless gossip and opinion dressed up as journalism and the jackals go off like a jilted drama queen.

I read that some local has said that a few people knew that they were on Ice out there. I will be pleasantly surprised if the press or Police releases any information about possible drug taking because it's convenient to just blame the guns instead of the failure to rid our communities of illegal drugs . It might be BS from some local but I feel it takes something like Meth to make people crazy enough to kill the people for no reason at all . The Police were just doing a welfare check not arresting anyone or searching the property , what the neighbor was doing there I don't know but maybe there was some neighbor squabbles that kicked this all off . It's senseless .
Last edited by JohnV on 14 Dec 2022, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by str8shutr » 14 Dec 2022, 11:16 am

str8shutr wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Not much about this makes sense, really, does it?

Here's the Police commissioner being asked key questions regarding type and legality of the firearms used:
https://youtu.be/k3ccz-ahgFk?t=218
and the answer meanders away from any useful detail. You'd think that the answers would be relatively easy to provide, so it's up to the individual to ponder the reason why.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 14 Dec 2022, 11:30 am

bladeracer wrote:
str8shutr wrote:Not much about this makes sense, really, does it?

It strikes me that lives were lost because information that should have been known didn't make it out to the people that needed it. Nothing new I'm afraid. Officers got sent to a remote property to ask about a missing person related to somebody there. They're investigating a missing person, somebody must've been trawling the MP's social media as part of that investigation, saw what sort of stuff he was into, must've easily connected him to his brother (which is why they went looking for him), and saw the stuff he was into as well. If the officers were aware then they were bloody lax, if they were unaware then somebody else was negligent. If it turns out any of them have criminal records for violence then it will really blow up. I'm not seeing any conspiracy though if that's where you're going.

Most police are poorly trained for immediate action while driving when taking fire or dealing with threats and getting safety off the X.

Things can go down very fast and you always have to expect the worst.

In regards to the criminals, one must remember the bell curve and there are a lot of folks of all bents easily susceptible to propaganda and indoctrination and there will be a select few that will use that in an irrational violent way. Killing cops and neighbors doesn't prove one's viewpoint.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Dec 2022, 7:30 pm

Does anyone know if all four cops attend the property, all at once?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Dec 2022, 8:37 pm

I'll wait for the full details to be released but it's a tragedy that three people have died needlessly. And just to be clear, I mean the two officers and the neighbour.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2022, 9:52 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:I'll wait for the full details to be released but it's a tragedy that three people have died needlessly. And just to be clear, I mean the two officers and the neighbour.

:thumbsup: :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 15 Dec 2022, 8:25 am

I'm wondering why it hasn't been released that the firearms were either registered or unregistered?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 10:08 am

The locals in town call the area , "The Blocks " and they reckon lots of alternate and survivalists types etc. live there .
I bet there is a meth lab out there some place .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by MtnMan » 15 Dec 2022, 12:18 pm

Jackaroo wrote:I'm wondering why it hasn't been released that the firearms were either registered or unregistered?

Because they are probably unregistered and the media saying so goes against their agenda
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2022, 12:33 pm

MtnMan wrote:
Jackaroo wrote:I'm wondering why it hasn't been released that the firearms were either registered or unregistered?

Because they are probably unregistered and the media saying so goes against their agenda

That makes good sense.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Avok » 15 Dec 2022, 12:40 pm

According to 7 News, they were legally obtained but were registered in NSW. Daily Mail claims that the firearms (Excluding the cop's glocks) was a shotgun, a .22LR and a 30-06.

Interestingly, 7 puts out there that "There have been unconfirmed reports Nathaniel Train, who had been reported missing from Dubbo, had told police in NSW to “come and get me” at the Wieambilla property. NSW authorities have dismissed suggestions they knew Train could have been dangerous to the officers attended."

Articles:
https://7news.com.au/news/qld/network-of-surveillance-cameras-found-at-wieambilla-property-where-two-police-shot-dead-c-9167586 (They talk about firearms and etc near the bottom of the article)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11537163/Female-cop-killer-Stacey-Train-shot-dead-running-house-rifle-Missing-weeks-before.html
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 15 Dec 2022, 1:37 pm

Avok wrote:According to 7 News, they were legally obtained but were registered in NSW. Daily Mail claims that the firearms (Excluding the cop's glocks) was a shotgun, a .22LR and a 30-06.

Articles:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11537163/Female-cop-killer-Stacey-Train-shot-dead-running-house-rifle-Missing-weeks-before.html

This snippet from the dailymail article is telling about the mindset of the Trains:
The firearms used by the Trains before they stole two police-issue Glock pistols [...], were described by one cop as 'farm guns ... not the sort of weapon you'd use to win a shoot out and escape'.

Bear in mind that that's a comment from a person with an understanding of firearm capability and speaking rationally.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 15 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm

What a terrible tragedy for the Police officers involved
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 16 Dec 2022, 8:16 am

We are even doing the same as Police and the media focusing on guns when the real reason was drugs .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 16 Dec 2022, 9:33 am

JohnV wrote:We are even doing the same as Police and the media focusing on guns when the real reason was drugs .

John, with all due respect, you don't know that.

I don't like what meth use has done to those stupid enough to use it, but there is so far no evidence that anything other than religious extremism, conspiracy mindset and 3 very disturbed individuals are to blame.

Why don't we wait, at least until the investigation has gathered actual evidence, there may have been some drug related crimes in the area, but just because some ducks are black doesn't mean all ducks are black.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by str8shutr » 16 Dec 2022, 1:22 pm

Lazarus wrote:
JohnV wrote:We are even doing the same as Police and the media focusing on guns when the real reason was drugs .

John, with all due respect, you don't know that.

I don't like what meth use has done to those stupid enough to use it, but there is so far no evidence that anything other than religious extremism, conspiracy mindset and 3 very disturbed individuals are to blame.

Why don't we wait, at least until the investigation has gathered actual evidence, there may have been some drug related crimes in the area, but just because some ducks are black doesn't mean all ducks are black.

One of the key points of detail in terms of the "offenders" that I'm interested in, is the firearms used (number and type/make) and by what legal basis they were possessed. The QPS commissioner has been vague on these basic points and has made non-specific references to "many, many weapons". A weapon can be all sorts of household items. For example, a kitchen knife is a utensil if it's used to cut food and a weapon if used to threaten or inflict harm. So, vague statements regarding some of these basic facts I find unhelpful and it can lead to negative speculation in lieu of the absence of factual data.

Lazarus is spot on. The reporting and comments from the QPS have not indicated (from what I've seen/I can recall) that the probable motivation was fuelled by illicit drug use or manufacture. However there are indications, based on gathered public domain history relating to the offenders, that fringe, anti-authoritarian views were relevant to their behaviour. Undoubtedly, the QPS will be able to dig deeper and in time reveal their findings.
Last edited by str8shutr on 16 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2022, 1:28 pm

str8shutr wrote:One the key points of detail in terms of the "offenders" that I'm interested in, is the firearms used (number and type/make) and by what legal basis they were possessed. The QPS commissioner has been vague on these basic points and has made non-specific references to "many, many weapons". A weapon can be all sorts of household items. For example, a kitchen knife is a utensil if it's used to cut food and a weapon if used to threaten or inflict harm. So, vague statements regarding some of these basic facts I find unhelpful and it can lead to negative speculation in lieu of the absence of factual data.

Lazarus is spot on. The reporting and comments from the QPS have not indicated (from what I've seen/recall) that the probable motivation was fuelled by illicit drug use or manufacture. However there are indications, based on gathered public domain history relating to the offenders, that fringe, anti-authoritarian views were relevant to their behaviour. Undoubtedly, the QPS will be able to dig deeper and in time reveal their findings.

The reports coming out are merely a shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .30-06 rifle.
Purchased legally in NSW but not licenced to the property or in Qld.
Two Glock handguns taken from the slain officers also.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by b066y » 16 Dec 2022, 1:29 pm

Fear. It's always fear. Btw, are there such things as low powered shotguns?
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2022, 1:30 pm

b066y wrote:Fear. It's always fear. Btw, are there such things as low powered shotguns?

In WA I thought all shotguns were classed as "low-power" prior to the '96 changes to their Act?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Dec 2022, 1:37 pm

Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet