Qld police shooting

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Qld police shooting

Post by pagun » 12 Dec 2022, 10:24 pm

Terrible news out of qld tonite.

Got me wondering how many police loose their lives in the line of duty.

Also wondering if qld or even national laws will change out of it.
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Qld police shooting

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 12:10 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 Dec 2022, 1:37 am

Absolutely devastating news for the family, friends, and colleagues of the QPS officers who tragically lost their lives this afternoon, and indeed all of QLD. One can only hope these tip rats are bought to justice in good time. Still doesn’t make up for the loss of two QPS officers who were just out doing their job.
In addition to the tragic circumstances of the incident, I can’t help but think it puts us law abiding firearm owners one step closer to our sport being lost when these absolute dirtbags use firearms to perpetrate violent criminal acts against our police officers, and members of the public.
WTF is wrong with people these days!!!
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Billo » 13 Dec 2022, 5:12 am

Tragic news but why would junior police officers attend a rural property where semi auto gunfire has be reported and with a member of the public already shot ?
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 7:10 am

The 3 offenders have been shot.

Two Queensland police officers, member of public and three alleged offenders shot dead at Wieambilla, west of Brisbane - ABC News https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-12/ ... /101763662
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 13 Dec 2022, 7:28 am

Its so sad to hear, especially so close to Christmas.

If these crimes want to play soldiers all dressed up in camouflage, shooting at the cops, then bring in the army and see how long they last.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 8:26 am

JimTom wrote:. One can only hope these tip rats are bought to justice in good time.

The scumbags got the justice they deserved Jim, shot down by responding police.
I just wish there really was a hell for them to burn in.

We complain about the dodgy coppers, but we would be living in chaos without the good ones.

Condolences to the families of the four victims.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by pagun » 13 Dec 2022, 8:57 am

Lazarus wrote:
JimTom wrote:. One can only hope these tip rats are bought to justice in good time.

We complain about the dodgy coppers, but we would be living in chaos without the good ones.

personally id rather them rot in jail.
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by MtnMan » 13 Dec 2022, 9:05 am

Sincere condolences to all effected.

Cue the 'Canadian style' gun ban and ban on camo clothes.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 9:26 am

pagun wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

I considered that pagun, but think about it for a second.

Why should vermin like them get to live, free of charge, lauded as heroes by the other vermin imprisoned with them?

It costs on average $550/day to house a maximum security prisoner, that's $200,750/year, times 3 in this instance.

If a dog bites a person it's put down, scum like the three involved here deserve no better.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Pighunter » 13 Dec 2022, 9:26 am

Billo wrote:Tragic news but why would junior police officers attend a rural property where semi auto gunfire has be reported and with a member of the public already shot ?

I haven't heard anything about semi auto gunfire.
The member of the public was shot after the perps started a fire to try and find the missing police officer out of the four that attended. The 58 year old who was shot in the back apparently went out to see what the go was with the fire and was shot by them.

I think at this stage it's just best for us to find out what the actual events were and know all the facts. Because the media has been known to get things wrong.

Absolutely terrible for the Police Officers involved and their families and this poor bloke who probably just went out to see if his neighbours needed help with a fire.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Billo » 13 Dec 2022, 9:42 am

Yeah the media reports yesterday were coming in a bit thick and fast. Noticed the location seem to be smack in the middle of a very intensive CSG field, I do wonder if the gunmen were pissed off land owners. ?
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 9:47 am

Billo wrote:Yeah the media reports yesterday were coming in a bit thick and fast. Noticed the location seem to be smack in the middle of a very intensive CSG field, I do wonder if the gunmen were pissed off land owners. ?

Sound more like loony sovereigns or a drug cooking lab to me Billo, but probably best to wait for the police to determine that.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Pighunter » 13 Dec 2022, 10:12 am

Billo wrote:Yeah the media reports yesterday were coming in a bit thick and fast. Noticed the location seem to be smack in the middle of a very intensive CSG field, I do wonder if the gunmen were pissed off land owners. ?

That's just the Tara - Chinchilla area, the whole place is CSG and an absolute trash can of an area.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 11:55 am

What is CSG?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 13 Dec 2022, 12:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:

What is CSG?

Coal Seam Gas.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Robin » 13 Dec 2022, 1:45 pm

Just because you're pissed off with someone, doesn't make it right to kill a few cops or bystanders .
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by geoff » 13 Dec 2022, 3:01 pm

They were sovereign citizen lunatics. Don't give them any credit.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by str8shutr » 13 Dec 2022, 3:29 pm

Pighunter wrote:
Billo wrote:Tragic news but why would junior police officers attend a rural property where semi auto gunfire has be reported and with a member of the public already shot ?

I haven't heard anything about semi auto gunfire.
The member of the public was shot after the perps started a fire to try and find the missing police officer out of the four that attended. The 58 year old who was shot in the back apparently went out to see what the go was with the fire and was shot by them.

I think at this stage it's just best for us to find out what the actual events were and know all the facts. Because the media has been known to get things wrong.

Absolutely terrible for the Police Officers involved and their families and this poor bloke who probably just went out to see if his neighbours needed help with a fire.

From the media report linked at the top (it's probably being updated as more info comes in):
The Queensland Police Union president (QPU) Ian Leavers described the killing as a ruthless, cold-blooded "execution". 

"Police were responding to a call for service for a missing person, it was simply that … as soon as they entered the property, they were inundated with gunfire and they never had a chance," Mr Leavers said.

"Two police officers were executed in cold blood."

Reads like an ambush from that snippet.

Senseless, tragic loss of life. Very sad.

It will be telling to understand whether the semi-auto firearm involved was owned legally. From the these sorts of reports that I've read in the past, that point of detail is often not mentioned from what I can recall. From the lack of detail, I assume that illegal possession is involved. I would have thought that there'll be a lot of noise from the media if ownership of a firearm in any of these sorts of incidents is legal.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2022, 3:35 pm

pagun wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

No you wouldn't gaol is too cushy now . better meals than some pensioners get , gyms , TV in cells . phone calls , free medical .
Lifers end up a C classification one day and end up in a camp where they can work outside or in workshop where they get paid some money .
No a bullet was proper justice .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 3:41 pm

JohnV wrote:
pagun wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

No you wouldn't gaol is too cushy now . better meals than some pensioners get , gyms , TV in cells . phone calls , free medical .
Lifers end up a C classification one day and end up in a camp where they can work outside or in workshop where they get paid some money .
No a bullet was proper justice .

Inclined to agree.

On the other hand if prisons for lifers was like, say, the 1500s, I'd say locked, up never to be released.

But understanding why will now be far more difficult.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 3:47 pm

str8shutr wrote:It will be telling to understand whether the semi-auto firearm involved was owned legally. From the these sorts of reports that I've read in the past, that point of detail is often not mentioned from what I can recall. From the lack of detail, I assume that illegal possession is involved. I would have thought that there'll be a lot of noise from the media if ownership of a firearm in any of these sorts of incidents is legal.

I haven't seen any talk of semi-auto fire, is that confirmed?

A neighbour of mine was telling me a couple weeks ago about hearing somebody in the vicinity here shooting semi-auto, but if it was the same shooting I'd heard at the same time it sounded like a couple of blokes shooting clays, probably with double-guns.

Police should always advise the public whether the firearms are lawfully owned, to not do so immediately puts the focus onto a million-odd law-abiding firearm owners as collectively being to blame for these things.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 4:12 pm

This came up on my FB feed, from National Times.
It appears to quote numerous sources so is one of the more credible reports I've seen so far.

"Wieambilla shooting: property owner Gareth Train posted regularly on online conspiracy website before police killed ( Ben Smee for The Guardian)
Exclusive: The brother of missing man Nathaniel Train had posted about preparing an ark and alleging the Port Arthur attack was a ‘false-flag’ operation.
Gareth Train, the owner of a rural Queensland property where six people, including two police officers, were shot and killed on Monday, had become deeply entangled in an online conspiracy community, where he posted about a mistrust of police and claims the Port Arthur massacre was a false-flag operation.
The Queensland police commissioner, Katarina Carroll, on Tuesday said there had been “a lot of ammunition and weaponry” at the property, at Wieambilla in the Western Downs, and that the killed officers “did not stand a chance”.
Property records show the land is owned by Gareth Train and his wife, Stacey. Police went to the property on Monday afternoon looking for Gareth’s brother, Nathaniel Train, who had been reported missing by family members.
Two police officers, constables Matthew Arnold, 26, and Rachel McCrow, 29, were shot and killed after arriving at the property and a third officer was injured and taken to hospital. Neighbour Alan Dare, 58, was also shot dead by the armed offenders.
Gareth and Nathaniel Train and a woman, who has not yet been identified, were subsequently shot and killed in an operation involving 16 tactical police about six hours later.
A person who knew Gareth and his wife said they believed he had been sucked into online conspiracy theories in recent years.
He appears to have been a prolific poster on an alternative website that posts conspiracy, anti-authoritarian and other articles. He said in one recent post he had been “ark homesteading for the past five years preparing to survive tomorrow”.
“When it becomes clear that we are in a time like no other and you head out into the wilderness to escape persecution, know that my wife and I will offer refuge to all brothers and sisters,” he posted.
“I will be scanning the UHF channels when that times comes.”
Gareth said the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 – Australia’s deadliest mass shooting – had been a “false flag” operation to “disarm the Australian population”.
He also posted about his mistrust for authorities, including comments critical of the Queensland Special Emergency Response Team (Sert), which ultimately arrived at the property and is understood to have shot him.
“If you are a conservative, anti-vaxx [sic], freedom lover, protester, common law, conspiracy talker, alternative news, independent critical thinker, truther, Christian, patriot etc etc expect a visit from these hammers,” he said.
Gareth also posted about working in the Queensland child protection and education systems and appeared pre-occupied with the notion the government was running “re-education camps”.
Nathaniel Train had been living in the New South Wales town of Walgett, where he was the principal of a community primary school until August 2021, after working in several schools in north Queensland.
Family members were last in contact in October this year, and he was reported missing in NSW on 4 December.
The NSW parliament heard that in March, Nathaniel sent 16 emails over the course of two weeks to the NSW Department of Education outlining problems and challenges at the school, and requesting assistance.
A spokesperson for NSW education said he had not been working at the school since August 2021, and “officially left our employment in March this year”.
“Extra counselling will be provided at the impacted school today and for as long as staff and students require support,” the spokesperson said.
Carroll would not say on Monday whether she believed the police officers had been “lured” to the Wieambilla property on Monday. She said that when the officers arrived, they were ambushed.
“Walking towards the house and where this apparently took place, they were in an exposed area where I would go back to say that I cannot believe that two officers got out alive,” Carroll said.
“We did go there as a result of a report of a missing person. Police always do thorough checks before they go into these environments.
The Queensland police union has described the shooting as “a ruthless, calculated and targeted execution of our colleagues”."
Screenshot 2022-12-13 170935.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-13 170935.jpg (250.99 KiB) Viewed 3536 times

Screenshot 2022-12-13 171005.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-13 171005.jpg (262.38 KiB) Viewed 3536 times

Unfortunately this sounds like something that should've been taken notice of years ago :-(
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 4:21 pm

Sovereigns were my first thought.
Another stupid, dangerous and nonsensical American idea that gullible Australians have emulated.

They are dangerous, but to pre-emptively remove them would be to prove their point.

Catch-22.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:30 pm

Lazarus wrote:Sovereigns were my first thought.
Another stupid, dangerous and nonsensical American idea that gullible Australians have emulated.

They are dangerous, but to pre-emptively remove them would be to prove their point.

Catch-22.

True, but authorities engaging with them pro-actively may well let them see the reality rather than keeping them closeted within their own imaginations and the trolls of conspiracy sites. Wasn't the scum that went to NZ involved in similar online activity? Nothing was learned from that I guess.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 13 Dec 2022, 6:14 pm

yea tarrant your talking about. We learnt something from that. apparently its us licensed guys fault for some reason....
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by str8shutr » 13 Dec 2022, 6:44 pm

For what it's worth, this report indicates that police firearms were acquired (so, I'd guess probably not much more than a Glock 9mm?) and used against police:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPalCh-R9w&t=55s
This could explain references to semi-auto firearms.

This piece indicates that the shooters may have been in possession of unregistered firearms:
https://youtu.be/ccRudYmg3cs?t=237

Although fair question to ask how can the media can be sure of their intel, e.g. how do they know for certain that "there were no firearms registered to this address"?
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 7:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Sovereigns were my first thought.

Catch-22.

True, but authorities engaging with them pro-actively may well let them see the reality rather than keeping them closeted within their own imaginations and the trolls of conspiracy sites. Wasn't the scum that went to NZ involved in similar online activity? Nothing was learned from that I guess.

I chatted with some in America, on another venue, they can seem like quite ordinary, reasonable people from day to day, and I'm sure some are, but the type that are capable of this are a whole other level of wrong.
It's a big step from not paying car rego and printing your own plates to ambush and execution.
Like that creature that went to NZ, there's all manner of twisted going on other than just the sovereign blather.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by pagun » 13 Dec 2022, 7:18 pm

Lazarus wrote:
pagun wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

I considered that pagun, but think about it for a second.

Why should vermin like them get to live, free of charge, lauded as heroes by the other vermin imprisoned with them?

It costs on average $550/day to house a maximum security prisoner, that's $200,750/year, times 3 in this instance.

If a dog bites a person it's put down, scum like the three involved here deserve no better.

im coming around to your way of thinking. Penalities generally appear too soft.
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2022, 7:36 pm

Very bad business indeed , this kind of thing should not happen . I don't know what the hell is wrong with some people now .
Must be drugs sending them nuts .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics