Good news for NSW

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Good news for NSW

Post by Tomotron » 20 Jun 2023, 9:47 pm

NSW National Party looks for reform on appearance laws and suppressors.
https://sifa.net.au/nsw-national-party- ... ppressors/
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Good news for NSW

Post by deye243 » 20 Jun 2023, 11:52 pm

Well you can forget suppresses there is one lobby group with some clout dead against them .
They were making some headway in vic then wallop done deal and the grubberment were all to keen to except it .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 4:57 am

No I think it’s likely a go ahead in NSW
You can own a suppressor for recreational hunting or sporting purposes if you get a permit for one. Just an onerous process and a lot of bureaucratic red tape.
Just common sense really. The next generation won’t be as deaf as us.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 21 Jun 2023, 9:01 am

Yeah, when pigs start flying out my butt, maybe.

The current state of affairs
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... s/silencer.

It's like drug law reform, politicians have to admit their previous stance on the issue was wrong before they can change it, NSW gov has already said legalisation of weed is a non starter until after they hold a "summit" on the issue.
When asked yesterday when that summit will be held, the answer was totally predictable, "at some as yet undecided time in the next few years"
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 9:28 am

NSW has permits for them.
Sometimes the registry processes them
Sometimes they don't
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 21 Jun 2023, 9:44 am

womble wrote:NSW has permits for them.
Sometimes the registry processes them
Sometimes they don't

Trouble with that permit system though Womble, is the ludicrous storage requirements for an inert metal tube, and the fact that a normally legal firearm becomes a prohibited "weapon" requiring even more stringent storage once the inert tube is fitted.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/the ... silencers/
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 21 Jun 2023, 11:48 am

Sounds like some sensible things to propose and keep pushing forward on.

Too much Hollywood BS out there about suppressors. In reality they lower decibels around 30 db which helps reduce impact on shooters ears and also reduces noise pollution. My end goal here in the USA is to have most of my modern firearms fitted with suppressors.

Also appearance laws are retarded and have no basis in reality except for emotional reactionarism for totalitarian gun grabbers.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 21 Jun 2023, 1:13 pm

wanneroo wrote:Sounds like some sensible things to propose and keep pushing forward on.

Too much Hollywood BS out there about suppressors. In reality they lower decibels around 30 db which helps reduce impact on shooters ears and also reduces noise pollution. My end goal here in the USA is to have most of my modern firearms fitted with suppressors.

Also appearance laws are retarded and have no basis in reality except for emotional reactionarism for totalitarian gun grabbers.

One of The main reasons for appearance laws is the incompetent training of police they just can't tell the difference
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2023, 2:44 pm

deye243 wrote:One of The main reasons for appearance laws is the incompetent training of police they just can't tell the difference

The only "difference" Police need to recognise is whether a firearm is being used as a threat or not, doesn't make any difference what the firearm is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 4:39 pm

Ok so back to ****** NSW,

As said , prohibited so you need the correct permit.
The registry does approve them for occupational shooters and primary producers, assuming they applied correctly.
Recreational and sporting shooters can be approved, obviously because they would have the same needs and reasons.
So currently they dont reject permits for rec/ sporting. They simply just dont process the applications.
So basically that’s based on the individual not the genuine need.
Which is obviously horseshit because why is one persons requirement a necessity and another persons requirement unnecessary when both people operate the same equipment.
So yeah I think think rules for one and not for the other might be addressed in NSW.

And then you have the arguments for suppressors being well evidenced, well founded, well reasoned.
Whereas the arguments against suppressors read like they were made by people on drugs.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jun 2023, 6:00 pm

I look forward to the day when someone using a firearm without a suppressor is considered an asshole.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bergararse » 24 Jun 2023, 3:46 pm

Probably need someone who makes the decisions stand behind someone firing one, so they understand they are nothing like Hollywood silencers.
Bergararse
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 24 Jun 2023, 4:39 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I look forward to the day when someone using a firearm without a suppressor is considered an asshole.

We will be throwing stones before that happens.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics