Gun buyback stats

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Gun buyback stats

Post by Rutabaga » 21 Jul 2023, 1:46 pm

Hi guys

I was talking with a friend from the US and we got onto the 1996 gun buyback.

Without going into all the details we got on to taking about the types of guns that were handed in. I haven't been able to find any data beyond the number of guns surrendered. Is there anything out there that details the type/model/calibre of firearms surrendered?

My expectation is that a relatively high porportion of them would have been old single shot 22s and shot out old shotguns, but I've really got no basis for that assertion.

Cheers
Rutabaga
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Gun buyback stats

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2023, 2:24 pm

Rutabaga wrote:Hi guys

Without going into all the details we got on to taking about the types of guns that were handed in. I haven't been able to find any data beyond the number of guns surrendered. Is there anything out there that details the type/model/calibre of firearms surrendered?

My expectation is that a relatively high proportion of them would have been old single shot 22s and shot out old shotguns, but I've really got no basis for that assertion.

Cheers

Never seen such a break-down either. All I recall seeing was piles of ancient rimfires and shotguns, with some hunting rifles tossed on top. I know it didn't include the hundreds of thousands of semi-auto centrefire rifles that the public owned at the time. I didn't see all the SKK/SKS's, AG42's, M1 Carbines, Mini-14's, etc that were sold here in the thousands for decades. I'd like to know what happened to all the Australian-made Leader/AAA rifles, I've only ever seen one of those in the flesh (an SAR that a mate owned in the '90's).
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Jul 2023, 2:58 pm

My expectation is that a relatively high porportion of them would have been old single shot 22s and shot out old shotguns, but I've really got no basis for that assertion.

Cheers

There were 640,000 guns handed in i haven't seen any breakdown on type.

Photos of guns handed in with compensated confiscation are probably the only guide like previously mentioned very few semi auto centrefire.

Gun sales did increase the following year i suspect many handed in old ****** and used that money to upgrade.
Attachments
pa.jpg
pa.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Jul 2023, 3:02 pm

Specific data was not collated in Victoria, and I doubt it was in any other State. As for what was handed in, all semi-auto in this State was required to be handed in a decade before the 1996 buy-back, ever since Queen St, and they could only be registered and owned under very limited circumstances which were cancelled in 1996. A friend of mine who worked "behind the jump" mentioned skip loads of semi-auto rifles and semi and pump shotguns being sent to Sims Metal for shredding with only a few kept back for the Police Museum and the Forensic "library". Even so, a fair number of rifles and shotguns were never registered or handed in after Queen St and continue to turn up under Amnesty.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Jul 2023, 3:10 pm

There was a pre existing decline in all gun deaths from 1980-1995.

Military style firearms were used in just over 1% of all gun deaths from 1980-1995.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbyCatalogue/9C85BD1298C075EACA2568A900139342?OpenDocument

Association Between Gun Law Reforms and Intentional Firearm Deaths in Australia, 1979-2013

Simon Chapman, PhD1; Philip Alpers1; Michael Jones, PhD2

Question What happened to the trend in firearm deaths after Australia introduced extensive gun law reform in 1996, including a ban on semiautomatic rifles and pump-action shotguns?

Main Outcomes and Measures Changes in mass fatal shooting incidents (defined as ≥5 victims, not including the perpetrator) and in trends of rates of total firearm deaths, firearm homicides and suicides, and total homicides and suicides per 100 000 population.

Conclusions and Relevance Following enactment of gun law reforms in Australia in 1996, there were no mass firearm killings through May 2016. There was a more rapid decline in firearm deaths between 1997 and 2013 compared with before 1997 but also a decline in total nonfirearm suicide and homicide deaths of a greater magnitude. Because of this, it is not possible to determine whether the change in firearm deaths can be attributed to the gun law reforms.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2530362

Did anyone notice the gun grabber Simon Chapman redefined mass shootings to be 5 or more killed not including the offender?

The non firearm homicide rate declined by a greater magnitude which cannot be associated with 1996 gun laws. The semi auto ban had no impact on firearm suicides as suicidal people don't need a rapid fire gun.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by womble » 21 Jul 2023, 3:29 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Specific data was not collated in Victoria, and I doubt it was in any other State. As for what was handed in, all semi-auto in this State was required to be handed in a decade before the 1996 buy-back, ever since Queen St, and they could only be registered and owned under very limited circumstances which were cancelled in 1996. A friend of mine who worked "behind the jump" mentioned skip loads of semi-auto rifles and semi and pump shotguns being sent to Sims Metal for shredding with only a few kept back for the Police Museum and the Forensic "library". Even so, a fair number of rifles and shotguns were never registered or handed in after Queen St and continue to turn up under Amnesty.

That’s not my recollection.
Until 96 in Victoria I was allowed to own semi auto rimfire and shotguns without any special circumstances outside of what was normally required. For a centerfire semiautomatic I needed a property letter with permission to shoot.
Of course I followed everything properly and lawfully :)
However I will add at the time add QLD and Tassie we’re far more relaxed. And you could buy a semiautomatic centerfire there with a vic licence. Which was fairly common because of the cheap adds for an skk with a crate of ammo in QLD. And they would post it to your door. I also remember a lot of cheap adds for old 303’s but nobody wanted them then :)
I don’t have any first hand knowledge of the 80s though as I never owned any guns of my own before I turned 18.
I might also add throughout my youth most of the people and places i went shooting with/at didn’t have firearm licenses.
They just had guns on the farm or would borrow dads.,

Anyway I handed mine in for 96. But I knew plenty of people who didn’t and not because they were dodgy people, they just genuinely didn’t believe it was a good idea, didn’t agree with it.
Overall from the perspective of people I knew socially and locally the buy back was voluntary surrender and many took the opportunity to hand in the 22 or air rifle in the cupboard because they never used it anyway. And some people didn’t hand them in. Mostly rural people in my opinion because they had more frequent use.
I think there was an explosion of urbanisation around that period as cities grew and farmland became suburbs and people with a new house in the burbs didn’t have as much interest in shooting as they do today

If someone can dig it up there was a police statement recently where they estimated approx 260,000 semi automatic we’re not handed in and remain in the community today.
I believe the estimate was well researched relative to the history of imports
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jul 2023, 4:10 pm

In 96 i handed in 12 guns. All of which I’d dutifully registered. As in walk into the local police station and plonked them on the counter so they could at least pretend to write down the serial number and give me a blue slip.
When i handed them in they had an official record on the book of only 2 of those guns.
Honestly the only reason I handed them in was I needed the money to buy a 2 stroke dirt bike and a hang glider. Both of which I crashed painfully.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 22 Jul 2023, 1:44 pm

Cheers

Here's a source for 1996 buyback statistics and shows how much of a failure it was.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190929090 ... d-in-1998/

womble wrote:In 96 i handed in 12 guns. All of which I’d dutifully registered. As in walk into the local police station and plonked them on the counter so they could at least pretend to write down the serial number and give me a blue slip.
When i handed them in they had an official record on the book of only 2 of those guns.
Honestly the only reason I handed them in was I needed the money to buy a 2 stroke dirt bike and a hang glider. Both of which I crashed painfully.

It just shows how worthless a gun registry is. In Victoria, we almost abolished it in the early 1990s on the back of a report by Chief Inspector Lex Newgreen of the Firearms Registry.
https://gunfactsaustralia.weebly.com/up ... 1986-1.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20190315055 ... an-police/
Attachments
Port Arthur AR-15.jpg
Port Arthur AR-15.jpg (116.58 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jul 2023, 3:33 am

Until recently amnesties had time frames for people to surrender. This changed a couple of years ago to a permanent amnesty.
The figures they were getting of guns surrendered during a time frame did not fit the narrative.
Nearly 30 years since on years on why so many.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rutabaga » 25 Jul 2023, 7:37 am

Tomotron wrote:

Cheers

Here's a source for 1996 buyback statistics and shows how much of a failure it was.

womble wrote:In 96 i handed in 12 guns. All of which I’d dutifully registered. As in walk into the local police station and plonked them on the counter so they could at least pretend to write down the serial number and give me a blue slip.

It just shows how worthless a gun registry is. In Victoria, we almost abolished it in the early 1990s on the back of a report by Chief Inspector Lex Newgreen of the Firearms Registry.

Thanks! The stats in the archive link are more or less what i was looking for, or at least the best i could expect.

I'm fairly suspcious of the number of 'self loading' shotguns surrendered. I expect that this includes single and double barrel break actions.
Rutabaga
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Tomotron » 25 Jul 2023, 11:32 am

Rutabaga wrote:
Tomotron wrote:

Cheers

Thanks! The stats in the archive link are more or less what i was looking for, or at least the best i could expect.

I'm fairly suspcious of the number of 'self loading' shotguns surrendered. I expect that this includes single and double barrel break actions.

No worries, it was the only buyback stats that I could find.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics