Gold Coast robber shot dead by security guard

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Gold Coast robber shot dead by security guard

Post by Bauer » 19 May 2014, 7:27 pm

UPDATED: IT has been revealed a man shot dead in a botched armed robbery was a father-of-five who used to work as a security guard himself.

The 46-year-old was armed when he reportedly attempted to rob a guard delivering money to the Highland Park Tavern.

The armed guard and would-be robber struggled, both armed with guns, and the robber was shot.

EARLIER: AN armed bandit was shot dead and a security guard left splattered with blood after a botched holdup at Highland Park on the Gold Coast this morning.

The would-be robber ambushed the security guard, who was delivering the Highland Park Tavern’s daily float, at about 7.40am.

Police say the robber grabbed the guard and both men produced weapons during a struggle, which left the robber dead after being shot multiple times.

The guard, from Border Security, was licensed to carry the firearm from which the fatal shot was fired. Police say it is unlikely he will be charged.

Police have since found the robber’s getaway car parked about 500m from the shooting scene. Scientific investigators will be arriving shortly.

It is believed the victim, who was wearing a motorbike helmet and a high-visibility vest, was carrying a 9mm pistol.

Detective Superintendent Dave Hutchinson was unable to say whether the offender had fired his weapon.

“Until our scientific people can get in there and complete their examination we won’t know for sure whether the (offender’s) firearm has been discharged,” he said.

After the shooting, the security guard ran along the road and sought help from passers by before returning to the scene where the offender was already dead.
The security guard is said to be ‘extremely distressed’ and suffered several injuries to his head during the struggle. He is now in police custody.

Police continue to patrol the area and door knock homes to determine if any other offenders were involved.

Det. Supt. Hutchinson said police had a possible identity for the victim and CCTV in the area would be collected.
It is believed the attack may have been planned, with the security guard regularly dropping off money in the area.

“The security guard arrived, got out of the vehicle and went to the side and at that point he was basically tackled by the offender, pushed up against the van and from there a fight occurred and the offender sustained several gunshot wounds,” he said.

It is unlikely the security guard will face any charges.

Swarms of police put Highland Park in lockdown following the shooting.

Officers initially had their guns drawn, unsure if the security guard, who was still holding a firearm, was going to fire back.

Neighbours who first raised the alarm said they saw a man run out of the tavern yelling ‘Call the police’ and saw him ‘standing there pointing a gun at the bush’.

They heard ‘three to four gun shots’ quickly followed by sirens and swarms of police.
A large area on Alexander Drive was in lockdown including William Duncan State School and a child care centre packed with toddlers across the road.

Goodstart Early Learning director Kristen Westra saw police officers with their guns drawn chasing a man down the street before instinct kicked in to gear.

“I heard the police yelling ‘get down, get down’.

“It was pretty nerve-racking.”

She said about 30 children, aged from six weeks to five years, were sent to the centre’s cot room and the doors were locked.

Police have since declared it is safe to return and the school has reopened.

A ‘large crime scene’ has been set up.

Paradise Waters complex resident Kaela Luce said she heard multiple gun shots before police arrived.

“I was sitting out the back and I heard three to four gun shots,” she said.

“I thought it was in the complex, it sounded so close.

“We’ve had a shooting in the complex in about August or September last year, so I’m not surprised.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 6922265531

So it says the guard will most likely not be charged which isn't too surprising since he was a licensed guard who was attacked by an armed gunman.

But wouldn't they question the 3 shots? Like why not 1 to disable him and whatnot, why blitz him etc.

Edit: I'm not sure if all 3 shots hit him though he could have missed.
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Gold Coast robber shot dead by security guard

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 May 2014, 8:03 pm

Live by the sword , die by the sword.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.

on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Kelix » 19 May 2014, 8:06 pm

Bauer wrote:But wouldn't they question the 3 shots? Like why not 1 to disable him and whatnot, why blitz him etc.

Easy to say sitting in front of our computers.

Just about impossible in the heat of the moment to shoot once, stop, evaluate etc. I would think.
Kelix
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by schink » 19 May 2014, 8:07 pm

I reckon.

I know he's a guard, but that's standing around with your thumb up your ass 99% of the time.

He wouldn't be trained to shoot people....

I reckon when it came down to it you'd be pulling the trigger as fast as you could till your attacker was down.
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bauer » 19 May 2014, 8:25 pm

^ All true and I agree. But courts in this country usually don't wanna know about any of that
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fozzy » 19 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Shoot until the threat is removed..

That is usually what the training is.. So if the guy was still standing with the gun keep shooting...

That said in the heat of the moment and pulling the trigger you could get three off very quickly.. Would still want to be careful when being interviewed I think.
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 19 May 2014, 9:57 pm

If someone came at me with a gun I wouldn't check to see how they are after the first shot.

Honestly don't blame him for panicking you can never truly prepare for it
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fujix » 20 May 2014, 11:48 am

Bauer wrote:^ All true and I agree. But courts in this country usually don't wanna know about any of that

There's been a couple lately that have (thankfully) gone the right way.

I don't have links, but a last year some time there was some junkie who was strangling his land lord and a neighbour shot him.

No charges came of it last I heard.

As it should be!
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sarki » 20 May 2014, 11:49 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:If someone came at me with a gun I wouldn't check to see how they are after the first shot.

Honestly don't blame him for panicking you can never truly prepare for it

Ditto.

The adrenaline would be hammering through you so fast I reckon it would all be over before you half new what was happening.

No sympathy for the attacker from me.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 20 May 2014, 11:51 am

Bauer wrote:But wouldn't they question the 3 shots? Like why not 1 to disable him and whatnot, why blitz him etc.

What if you miss with the disabling shot?

What if it doesn't disable him enough and he hits you critically? or disables you!

How many chances do you give an armed aggressor to beat you?

2c.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Combat_Wombat » 20 May 2014, 5:17 pm

Good advice I got about that is shoot them first then the warning shot, unless there is witnesses no one can tell the two shots apart
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 5:42 pm

Using a firearm is always your last resort. If the situation is serious enough to require using your firearm, you should be shooting to remove the threat, not disable. If you are shooting to disable someone the situation obviously isn't serious enough to require the use of the firearm.

My opinion anyway. Glad the Security guard is okay, the armed gunmen made his choice, and now his family has to live with it.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 21 May 2014, 11:35 am

WesleySnipes wrote:Using a firearm is always your last resort. If the situation is serious enough to require using your firearm, you should be shooting to remove the threat, not disable. If you are shooting to disable someone the situation obviously isn't serious enough to require the use of the firearm.

I'd agree with that.

If it's reached the point where you have no option left but to pull the trigger you're pasting giving warnings.

Not taking the situation lightly, but defending yourself and especially your family comes first.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by maxi » 21 May 2014, 11:36 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Good advice I got about that is shoot them first then the warning shot, unless there is witnesses no one can tell the two shots apart

Sounds like something from the crooked cops handbook :lol:
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Combat_Wombat » 21 May 2014, 4:14 pm

Probably because the guy who told me was a cop in the NT in the 70s haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harper » 21 May 2014, 6:09 pm

For the record, I think all NT police are fantastic...

*looks around suspiciously*
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by BBJ » 21 May 2014, 6:10 pm

So do I.

*click*

I make this statement of my own free will and under no duress...

:lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by headspace » 23 May 2014, 10:09 pm

Most of these people are trained to aim at body mass rather than disabling.

In any case the report said they were struggling so the guard probably got his gun out and kept shooting. At that range you must do some damage. According to a bloke that runs a handgun indoor range up on the Gold Coast most security guards are very ordinary marksmen.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Media and politics