Nick Harvey

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Nick Harvey

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Nick Harvey

Post by 9.3x64 » 21 Feb 2024, 3:59 pm

RIP Nick.
Many of us grew up reading his articles…
It was probably Nick that inspired many of us to get into the sport.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Feb 2024, 4:10 pm

Sad news, a very practical and open man who helped many long the path. RIP
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Feb 2024, 4:38 pm

RIP Nick. Read many of his articles in the Outdoors mag and Sporting Shooter. He was still writing until very recently I believe.

I wonder what happened to Col Allison?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 21 Feb 2024, 4:44 pm

Have to admit I dont know if I have ever read an article by this Gentleman, however, It is always sad to lose a member of the shooting community, especially one that has positively impacted a lot of others, May God rest his soul in Paradise.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by straightshooter » 21 Feb 2024, 6:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I wonder what happened to Col Allison?

A couple of days ago I was wondering just that myself.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 21 Feb 2024, 7:22 pm

RIP Nick.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 21 Feb 2024, 7:32 pm

I loved reading his stuff, and he will be missed.

I have looked for info on Col Allison a while ago, but found nothing.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2024, 3:08 am

GQshayne wrote:I loved reading his stuff, and he will be missed.

Pretty old but interesting listening.

https://youtu.be/7JXrtrcnmSI?si=FUSyOuly-0-fQ6Qc
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 22 Feb 2024, 8:49 am

RIP Nick, plenty of great reviews & stories you gave us, you will be missed.

He was shooter right up until the end too, he tried buying a rifle off me a bit over a year ago in a varmint chambering he had never owned, unfortunately the rifle was already sold.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 22 Feb 2024, 7:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I loved reading his stuff, and he will be missed.

Pretty old but interesting listening.

https://youtu.be/7JXrtrcnmSI?si=FUSyOuly-0-fQ6Qc

I shall have to try and remember to listen to that sometime.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Feb 2024, 6:59 am

wow , sad news . i grew up reading his articles . i thought uncle nick might live forever . he had a good run and lived a life that most of us might envy . thanks for the link to sporting shooter article . the pick of uncle nick standing next to elmer keith and the story about culling while driving the school bus , priceless . even after he's gone he still educates and amazes me . RIP uncle nick
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 12:31 pm

I won't speak ill of the dead but I don't like him. Remember what he said about how he didn't see a need for civilians to have self loading rifles? Only a communist would think they can tell others what they need. I don't see a need for red pants so I don't buy them. I don't tell others to not buy them if they so wish.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2024, 12:43 pm

alexjones wrote:I won't speak ill of the dead but I don't like him. Remember what he said about how he didn't see a need for civilians to have self loading rifles? Only a communist would think they can tell others what they need. I don't see a need for red pants so I don't buy them. I don't tell others to not buy them if they so wish.

Same. He helped me as a kid with reloading data but when he turned against us he lost me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 12:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
alexjones wrote:I won't speak ill of the dead but I don't like him. Remember what he said about how he didn't see a need for civilians to have self loading rifles? Only a communist would think they can tell others what they need. I don't see a need for red pants so I don't buy them. I don't tell others to not buy them if they so wish.

Same. He helped me as a kid with reloading data but when he turned against us he lost me.

He new his stuff in regards to reloading, very knowledgeable. Been doing it since the 1950s I think.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Feb 2024, 4:20 pm

soooo your calling him a communist for voicing a opinion that differs to yours :? :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 4:40 pm

bigrich wrote:

soooo your calling him a communist for voicing a opinion that differs to yours :? :unknown:

Hahaha yes. Look whilst it may sound "ironic" on my part but his opinion effects other people so I will call him a communist. A classical liberal would say I don't like self loading rifles so I wont buy one. Where a communist will say I don't like self loading rifles so I don't want anyone to buy one.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2024, 6:01 pm

Sooo exactly what did he say to who?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 24 Feb 2024, 8:36 am

alexjones wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Hahaha yes. Look whilst it may sound "ironic" on my part but his opinion effects other people so I will call him a communist. A classical liberal would say I don't like self loading rifles so I wont buy one. Where a communist will say I don't like self loading rifles so I don't want anyone to buy one.

so your against people voicing their opinion , cause it doesn't align with yours , but you don't like communists ;)

being able to voice one's opinion is the foundation of democracy . it's a natural right . if you don't agree that's your right . but to label people on their voiced opinions or beliefs is a slippery slope morally and ethically .

but you don't have to agree with me mate ...... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 24 Feb 2024, 2:21 pm

bigrich wrote:
alexjones wrote:
bigrich wrote:

so your against people voicing their opinion , cause it doesn't align with yours , but you don't like communists ;)

being able to voice one's opinion is the foundation of democracy . it's a natural right . if you don't agree that's your right . but to label people on their voiced opinions or beliefs is a slippery slope morally and ethically .

but you don't have to agree with me mate ...... :lol:

I am not against people voicing their opinion. I love it. The best way to defeat a bad argument is with a good argument.

However what I am against are communists who threaten to arrest me and lock me up if I don't hand over my private property.

Surely you can see the difference where his opinion was used into actual physical action that molested hundreds of thousands of people in this country by stealing our private property?

My opinions are to let people do whatever they want and say whatever they want just don't harm others. Where communists want to tell other people how to live their life.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 24 Feb 2024, 2:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo exactly what did he say to who?

There was an old TV interview where for lack of a better word he bent over for Howard. I can't remember the exact words it was a long time ago. I will have a look if it is on youtube.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2024, 6:19 pm

Borsak's speech / dedication to Nick Harvey in parliament

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/nic ... arliament/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Mar 2024, 8:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Borsak's speech / dedication to Nick Harvey in parliament

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/nic ... arliament/

Thanks for the link. Good to see public recognition for uncle nick. Shooter’s and shooting don’t get much attention unless it’s some sort of tragedy
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 16 Mar 2024, 2:25 pm

Had the experience of meeting him a long while back, at the pub in Hill End. Only spoke briefly but I kind of liked the guy.
Knew a fair bit about firearms. Mind you, things were a lot simpler in those days regarding firearm ownership.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics