Finland. WOW, they love shooting

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Finland. WOW, they love shooting

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2024, 7:35 am

Old news but just found it.

It's like footy over here. Government and the growds love it.love ❤️

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... 870WZG6K8g

https://youtu.be/4cnAwRJc7Sw?si=SokGYc99a8cqmgGC
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Finland. WOW, they love shooting

Post by alexjones » 07 May 2024, 8:24 am

If it was up to me you would not be able to graduate high school unless you can shoot to basic marksmanship level for rifle and pistol.

Seeing as I get molested by the ATO to fund education for other peoples children I want to see basic standards are met for reading, writing, basic mathematic skills and firearm skills in all children.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 07 May 2024, 11:35 am

I have a relic from the Winter War, Continuation War and Lapland War, the Suomi M31. One of the 71 round drums I own for it still has some blood splatter stains on the metal.

Marksmanship is a big deal in Finland and probably saved them from the Soviets in WW2. No question they need to bump up those skills.

They have some big firearms competitions in Finland, several Youtubers like Ian from Forgotten Weapons and Bloke on the Range have competed in.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2024, 12:09 pm

i know some Finns , and i've been told their culture traditionally followed and lived off the reindeer herds back in history . very similar to the Sioux Indians in the US i believe . a culture of living WITH nature, making use of every part of animals hunted . hunting is a big part of their culture that they haven't forgotten and demonized in the spirit of wokeness that seems to be spreading in the world . tikka's and sako's are finnish made . that says a lot for their society

anti hunting greenies that live in modern western cities have no idea what living with nature is. crusading about environmental causes, but living in the modern system with no idea on all the indirect impact of the modern western lifestyle of convenience and manufactured goods. rant over
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 07 May 2024, 1:35 pm

alexjones wrote:If it was up to me you would not be able to graduate high school unless you can shoot to basic marksmanship level for rifle and pistol.

Seeing as I get molested by the ATO to fund education for other peoples children I want to see basic standards are met for reading, writing, basic mathematic skills and firearm skills in all children.

Absobloodylutely.
And don't forget to teach respect for everyone around you as well I have met and got to know several fins over the decade's and they are the nicest and most polite people you will ever meet .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 08 May 2024, 8:57 am

Remember, those folk have got a big bear on their borders. It's about "skill at arms" and (potentially) defence of the realm.
Unfortunately, that line of thinking will never enter an Australian politicians feeble thought process.
For some seriously fast, and accurate shooting, search YouTube for Carl Morten Boine. The language is Norwegian, but you'll get the gist of it. Great to see such partisan and enthusiastic crowds too.
Oh, and there is their equivalent of the "mad minute".
Nearly all competitors use the SIG Sauer 200 STR, in 6.5 x 55, and (almost always) beat the semi's.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 08 May 2024, 9:28 am

Well we were all told that the rifleman is dead as missiles and technology has taken over. However from what we are seeing in Ukraine is that the rifleman is just as important as ever as the use of drones and the decline of tanks have taken over the battlefield.

Basic rifleman skills is just basic human knowledge everyone should know. Like knowing how to read, write or do basic maths in ones head. If I have 7 pmags and each pmag holds 30 rounds of 223/556 how many rounds in my pmags do I have?

Kids play those stupid nintendo games. Why play a game when you can actually be outside running and gunning? Makes no sense to me.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 08 May 2024, 10:34 am

alexjones wrote:Well we were all told that the rifleman is dead as missiles and technology has taken over. However from what we are seeing in Ukraine is that the rifleman is just as important as ever as the use of drones and the decline of tanks have taken over the battlefield.

Basic rifleman skills is just basic human knowledge everyone should know. Like knowing how to read, write or do basic maths in ones head. If I have 7 pmags and each pmag holds 30 rounds of 223/556 how many rounds in my pmags do I have?

Kids play those stupid nintendo games. Why play a game when you can actually be outside running and gunning? Makes no sense to me.

Yes, plenty of folks in that war still getting zapped from good marksmanship or luck.

However drones have changed everything, especially the little suicide drones that they fly right into your head. In my line of work people were always concerned about ambushes, IEDs, fire as a weapon, etc. but really now everyone is waking up seeing things like IEDs are a waste of time when you can fly a $30 drone into something and blow it up with a charge. So now thought is going into how do you counter this?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 08 May 2024, 11:02 am

wanneroo wrote:
alexjones wrote:Well we were all told that the rifleman is dead as missiles and technology has taken over. However from what we are seeing in Ukraine is that the rifleman is just as important as ever as the use of drones and the decline of tanks have taken over the battlefield.

Yes, plenty of folks in that war still getting zapped from good marksmanship or luck.

However drones have changed everything, especially the little suicide drones that they fly right into your head. In my line of work people were always concerned about ambushes, IEDs, fire as a weapon, etc. but really now everyone is waking up seeing things like IEDs are a waste of time when you can fly a $30 drone into something and blow it up with a charge. So now thought is going into how do you counter this?

EMP or some sort of jammer i guess. squad weapon of the future ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 08 May 2024, 1:54 pm

No1_49er wrote:Remember, those folk have got a big bear on their borders. It's about "skill at arms" and (potentially) defence of the realm.
Unfortunately, that line of thinking will never enter an Australian politicians feeble thought process.
For some seriously fast, and accurate shooting, search YouTube for Carl Morten Boine. The language is Norwegian, but you'll get the gist of it. Great to see such partisan and enthusiastic crowds too.
Oh, and there is their equivalent of the "mad minute".
Nearly all competitors use the SIG Sauer 200 STR, in 6.5 x 55, and (almost always) beat the semi's.

Is he the bloke shooting pigs with a tikka
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics