A question from a yank

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

A question from a yank

Post by ChicagoTed » 07 Jun 2014, 4:32 am

I already have a pretty good idea but out of curiosity what does the australian media think of:

- the NRA or GOA
- gun rights
- self defense
- CCW
- etc

you would think that because every plant and animal has evolved to be poisonous and to kill you that guns would be a more popular thing
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: a question from a yank

Post by MeccaOz » 07 Jun 2014, 5:06 am

Well mate Australia has had a very slanted media for many years. Me Im all for all the above, but I dare say alot of my countrymen are not.

LOL as for everything thats deadly over here, is also a protected species, In saying that If you gotta kill it, you gotta kill it.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm

ChicagoTed wrote:I already have a pretty good idea but out of curiosity what does the australian media think of:

- the NRA or GOA
- gun rights
- self defense
- CCW
- etc

you would think that because every plant and animal has evolved to be poisonous and to kill you that guns would be a more popular thing

The NRA ..... I wish our closest equivalent the SSAA had half the power, never heard of the GOA.

Gun rights..... We don't have them here, its considered a privilege to own them.

Self defence.. We don't do that with guns where I come from, crime with guns is rare here. Its usually associated with drug gangs like bikers, triads and the mafia, I'm happy for them to shoot the s**t out of each other... the less of them, the better.

Never heard of the CCW or the ECT either but there is a CWA and a RSL in the next town up the road. ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 07 Jun 2014, 11:42 pm

Laffin on_one_wheel, I think alot of people think the same about organised crime. CCW is concealed carry :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Norton » 09 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm

ChicagoTed wrote:- the NRA or GOA
- gun rights
- self defense
- CCW
- etc

The media here is pretty anti-gun as a general rule.

A lot of people have a bias view on firearms because the anti-gun media is the only source of info they have.

NRA - "gun nuts" "responsible for all the school shootings"

Self defence - We have a right to self defence, however the actual methods leave a lot to be desired. We have nothing like the 'stand your ground' law in the states.

At most you're expected to use "reasonable force" except that's a pretty flexible term here apparently. There have been more than a few cases in the past here were a citizen has shot an attacker and the police have noted the possibility of charging them with a crime because the attacker did not have a firearm themselves.

Concealed carry - Given the state of self defence here, concealed carry isn't even a dream at this point.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mahna » 09 Jun 2014, 6:59 pm

Norton wrote:Self defence - We have a right to self defence, however the actual methods leave a lot to be desired. We have nothing like the 'stand your ground' law in the states.

At most you're expected to use "reasonable force" except that's a pretty flexible term here apparently. There have been more than a few cases in the past here were a citizen has shot an attacker and the police have noted the possibility of charging them with a crime because the attacker did not have a firearm themselves.

Judging by the stuff you read in the paper you have to be an inch from death to be defence yourself with a firearm.

(Accepting there could be some media spin in that)
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 09 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

ChicagoTed wrote:you would think that because every plant and animal has evolved to be poisonous and to kill you that guns would be a more popular thing

There is that one frog which isn't deadly...
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: A question from a yank

Post by Lorgar » 09 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm

ChicagoTed wrote:you would think that because every plant and animal has evolved to be poisonous and to kill you that guns would be a more popular thing

This is where we meet every year to drink to everyone who was lost to the drop bears.

drop_bear-inn.jpg
Drop Bear Inn
drop_bear-inn.jpg (66.59 KiB) Viewed 8394 times
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 09 Jun 2014, 8:01 pm

Not really...

The only dangerous things we have are jellyfish, bees, snakes, sharks, crocodiles, spiders, octopus, cone shells, sea snakes, toads, frogs, fire ants and poisonous centipedes and wasps.

Oh and scorpions, paralysis ticks, leeches, mosquitoes, sea anemone's and coral.

And stingrays. And the platypus. And shrews and lizards...

Other that that though... Walk in the park really.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Humir » 09 Jun 2014, 8:02 pm

Aster wrote:Other that that though... Walk in the park really.

LMAO.

What is there other than that? :lol:
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Aster » 09 Jun 2014, 8:04 pm

Um... Birds?

They're all cool right...

Actually magpies are pretty keen to kill you during season...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by 1290 » 09 Jun 2014, 8:32 pm

Aster wrote:Other that that though... Walk in the park really.

oh yeah, go for a walk in the park and you'll get done over by a Roo... theyre not the friendly cuddly thing the cartoons and movies make them out to be, especially now the 10 odd years of drought brought them in to the 'burbs...
I've even got them in my back yard, in metro Melbourne FMD!

Aussie facts;
we all have roos in our backyards
we all throw shrimp on the baaarbie
but we're no longer allowed to have a thats not a knife knife.
we like sheep, but not as much as our neighbours :?

as far as your questions,

We do have our own NRA(NRAA??) as well as a quasi-NRA(SSAA) not that they do a great deal, we still lost our semis back in the great war of '96

We dont have any gun rights, we have the privilege of applying for a licence and if you get them on a good day it mightnt be as bad as it could (ie. you may get your licence after a few months), you then have the privilege of applying for a permit to acquire your first firearm and again depending on the mood at the other end, you may be privileged with a 28day waiting period, pay your money and you can get your hands on the firearm.... you will then possibly encounter the last obstacle of trying to find somewhere to shoot it....
Its all good over here.

Self defence is allowed here, you cant however possess something for self defence :roll:

CCW or carrying a concealed weapon is allowed here in the promised land of personal liberty .... provided your not caught by the po-litz... but seriously, we are license to CARRY our firearms, but no one does actually CARRY other than front door to the car boot - car boot to the range/hunt - range/hunt to the car boot - car boot to the front door BECAUSE EVERYONE IS SCARED ****** OF THE 300 DIFFERENT WAYS TO LOSE THE PRIVILEGE........
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 09 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm

Aster wrote: Not really...
The only dangerous things we have are .

You forgot politicians. We have them here as well, scary buggers the lot of em.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Jun 2014, 4:26 am

Eduardo wrote:
Aster wrote: Not really...
The only dangerous things we have are .

You forgot politicians. We have them here as well, scary buggers the lot of em.

hahahahaha
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Jun 2014, 4:30 am

1290 wrote:we are license to CARRY our firearms, but no one does actually CARRY other than front door to the car boot - car boot to the range/hunt - range/hunt to the car boot - car boot to the front door BECAUSE EVERYONE IS SCARED ****** OF THE 300 DIFFERENT WAYS TO LOSE THE PRIVILEGE........

There is some stupid law that says something like " If you are armed and cause another person fear, then you can lose you license and be charged with some bulls**t... even if you are only walking to the car, and your gun is in a guncase. Not sure there is any trial law on it, but ...
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 10 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

MeccaOz wrote:There is some stupid law that says something like " If you are armed and cause another person fear, then you can lose you license and be charged with some bulls**t... even if you are only walking to the car, and your gun is in a guncase. Not sure there is any trial law on it, but ...

As usual our laws are a mess of contradiction, imposed and interpreted by the few... but yes, firearm law allows us to carry ie. "Carriage" which means... what it says, carrying. But you walk out the front door and the neighbour down the road calls the police - you have disturbed the peace or caused some other public nuisance. There are probable several dozen laws they could interpret to cause you grief (and of course first step is loss of your arms)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 10 Jun 2014, 10:59 am

Aster wrote:Um... Birds?

They're all cool right...

Actually magpies are pretty keen to kill you during season...

f***ing ducks!

I don't know what it is but furious ducks are drawn to me like a magnet.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 10 Jun 2014, 11:00 am

1290 wrote:Aussie facts;
we all have roos in our backyards

And we ride them don't forget.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 10 Jun 2014, 11:01 am

1290 wrote:we all throw shrimp on the baaarbie

Seriously though, how f***ing great are BBQ prawns?

God they're good.

In fact, I'm going to do some right now...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Carter » 10 Jun 2014, 11:03 am

You're not helping, Lorgar...
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Guliver » 22 Aug 2014, 3:01 pm

As a pistol shooter I can see no reason why anyone would want to walk around caring a handgun concealed or not. I'm referring to the general public, not folks who carry as part of their employment.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 23 Aug 2014, 8:22 am

ChicagoTed wrote:I already have a pretty good idea but out of curiosity what does the australian media think of:
- self defense
- CCW

Forget about carrying a gun for self defence - if you carry *any* item for the purposes of self defence you are breaking the law. For example, a Kubotan (which is basically a stick the size of a pen) is illegal to carry, since its only purpose is self defence.

While we are allowed to defend ourselves and use improvised weapons, there are requirements around reasonable force, and carrying an item specifically for that purpose is viewed quite negatively I think by the general public, in addition to being illegal in the eyes of the law. In most states pepper spray is illegal for civilian possession - in Queensland it is in the same weapons category as fully automatic rifles, RPGs and grenades.

Granted Australia is generally fairly safe so the need to handgun concealed carry is probably not that high, but women still get raped and murdered yet are not allowed to carry pepper spray or any other self defence aid.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 23 Aug 2014, 8:55 am

I have a CCW and don't carry very often, many places of business don't allow them.

When I go to work I can't have one on me and I'm not leaving it in my car even if it's in a lock box.

It is real nice when I am going hunting, I can slip on my gun and don't have to worry about my coat covering my gun and taking a holster on and off in transport is a pain.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mahna » 24 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

cuvy wrote:In most states pepper spray is illegal for civilian possession - in Queensland it is in the same weapons category as fully automatic rifles, RPGs and grenades.

Talk about overdramatizing pepper spray.
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tucked » 24 Aug 2014, 11:01 am

wrenchman wrote:I have a CCW and don't carry very often, many places of business don't allow them.

Not sure if that's a stupid question, are they actually allowed to do that in the states?

If you're licensed to carry it aren't you just licensed to carry it? Regardless of what other people want?
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Brute » 24 Aug 2014, 11:02 am

Maybe not, in any case though if they didn't want you there they could just not employ you or not invite you onto their property so it's the same result either way.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 02 Sep 2014, 8:05 pm

tucked wrote:
wrenchman wrote:I have a CCW and don't carry very often, many places of business don't allow them.

Not sure if that's a stupid question, are they actually allowed to do that in the states?

If you're licensed to carry it aren't you just licensed to carry it? Regardless of what other people want?

I regularly frequent /k/ so I know a bit about it.

There are two or three states in the US where anyone who is legally permitted to own a firearm can carry one concealed, I think they are Arizona, Alaska and Nevada.
Quite a few states are 'shall issue' meaning that if you want a CCW permit and complete the training they can't deny you a permit unless they have a reason too such as you're a criminal or have mental health issues.
Most state are 'may issue' but are 'shall issue' in practice - they can technically deny you a CCW permit for any reason but they rarely do.
Then there are places like California, New York, Massachusetts etc that are 'may issue' but in practice they very rarely approve CCW permits.

Nearly every state has laws making it a crime to carry in a business that clearly has signs that state CCW is not permitted, a few states have rules making it illegal to carry on schools/collages and a few have rules requiring you to register with your collage/uni before carrying on campus.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Download » 02 Sep 2014, 8:09 pm

Personally I would support CCW in Australia if getting one required training like security guards have along with minimum and regular accuracy requirements. Guns are equalisers. A woman about to be raped by a guy twice your weight and a foot taller than you? Doesn't matter anymore.

Guns stop rapes and murders, and will reduce them (to some degree) due to the fear that their target is armed and will put them down.

Edit:
Why doesn't this forum have automerging?
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by coloradoboy » 05 Sep 2014, 11:43 pm

When I go to work I can't have one on me and I'm not leaving it in my car even if it's in a lock box.

It is real nice when I am going hunting, I can slip on my gun and don't have to worry about my coat covering my gun and taking a holster on and off in transport is a pain.

I am from Colorado and I CC daily and I am pretty sure that as long as they don't expressly deny firearm carry with a very visible sign for example (unless it is a school or federal building / courthouse) , then you can CC in any store or business without seeking permission prior. I rarely part with my revolver, so much that I feel strange without it at my side. Strange.

You must live in New York state or Connecticut or something hahaha
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
coloradoboy
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Warrigul » 06 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm

Guliver wrote:As a pistol shooter I can see no reason why anyone would want to walk around caring a handgun concealed or not. I'm referring to the general public, not folks who carry as part of their employment.

I too am a pistol shooter and I can see many reasons why some would want to carry a handgun, the biggest one being why are the takings from McDonalds be considered more valuable than someone's life?

Oh, you say it is for protection of the security guard? Well why is the security guards life worth more than the local corner store owner who just wants to bank his takings?

It can go on and on and on and people will still deny others the right to carry, just because "they can't see any reason", until the Government can guarantee a reasonable level of protection for Australians they shouldn't deny us the means to protect ourselves.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics