Obama points to Australian gun control laws as an example

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Obama points to Australian gun control laws as an example

Post by Eduardo » 12 Jun 2014, 10:51 am

A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: President Obama points to Australian gun control laws as

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Jun 2014, 10:55 am

lol, murder with guns may have reduced, but in saying that, murder on the whole was not reduced, stayed about the same. AND gun ownership is back to pre 1996 days now Eduardo :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 11:11 am

Yea interesting stats. It was reported on the radio today that America has more than 14% more people than Aus but gun crime is 444% higher than Australia. And there are 94 guns for every 100 people in America.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 11:13 am

God bless America
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Jun 2014, 11:36 am

Shotfox wrote:God bless America

Laffin +1
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Obama points to Australian gun control laws as an exampl

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm

I wonder if they will take on the buracratic bungaling, incopetence, frustration, poor communication, expensive fees, unacceptable waiting times , mountains of paperwork to be filled in, rudeness, and the general sense of i dont know when you ask a question. Gee I hope so. Pack em up and donate them to the USA and we can start again.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

Shotfox wrote:I wonder if they will take on the buracratic bungaling, incopetence, frustration, poor communication, expensive fees, unacceptable waiting times , mountains of paperwork to be filled in, rudeness, and the general sense of i dont know when you ask a question. Gee I hope so. Pack em up and donate them to the USA and we can start again.

HAHAHA, we must be bloody tolerant people here. I had to laugh about 2 years ago the new police minister was going to bring BATF over to WA to show our firearms branch a thing or two. I sent her off an email explaining the fast and furious operation they were involved in, gave her some links. She wrote back saying after consideration it wasnt going to happen.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 12 Jun 2014, 12:28 pm

Shotfox wrote:Yea interesting stats. It was reported on the radio today that America has more than 14% more people than Aus but gun crime is 444% higher than Australia. And there are 94 guns for every 100 people in America.

14%? Might be 14 X

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

MeccaOz wrote:
Shotfox wrote:I wonder if they will take on the buracratic bungaling, incopetence, frustration, poor communication, expensive fees, unacceptable waiting times , mountains of paperwork to be filled in, rudeness, and the general sense of i dont know when you ask a question. Gee I hope so. Pack em up and donate them to the USA and we can start again.

HAHAHA, we must be bloody tolerant people here. I had to laugh about 2 years ago the new police minister was going to bring BATF over to WA to show our firearms branch a thing or two. I sent her off an email explaining the fast and furious operation they were involved in, gave her some links. She wrote back saying after consideration it wasnt going to happen.

Yea funny that. If Obama is looking toward our country as a business model on how to manage guns then he should apply for a licence here in NSW, then try and buy some air rifle pellets and then im sure he will change his mind aboout using our firearms registry and law makers as a shinning example. Imagine the registry dealing with a 94% gun owning country. Now that I would like to see.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 12:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
Shotfox wrote:Yea interesting stats. It was reported on the radio today that America has more than 14% more people than Aus but gun crime is 444% higher than Australia. And there are 94 guns for every 100 people in America.

14%? Might be 14 X

Chronos

Yea something like that
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 12 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm

MeccaOz wrote:lol, murder with guns may have reduced, but in saying that, murder on the whole was not reduced, stayed about the same. AND gun ownership is back to pre 1996 days now Eduardo :)

Murder with firearms was not reduced, it continued on the same path of decline that it had been on for more than a decade before 1996. There has been numerous amounts of research on the buyback's effects.

The only thing that was reduced was in particular firearms suicide, although the overall number of suicides did not decrease, suggesting people using alternative methods of suicide instead of firearms. And to me if X amount of people commit suicide by hanging themselves, that's exactly the same as X amount of people shooting themselves.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:lol, murder with guns may have reduced, but in saying that, murder on the whole was not reduced, stayed about the same. AND gun ownership is back to pre 1996 days now Eduardo :)

Murder with firearms was not reduced, it continued on the same path of decline that it had been on for more than a decade before 1996. There has been numerous amounts of research on the buyback's effects.

The only thing that was reduced was in particular firearms suicide, although the overall number of suicides did not decrease, suggesting people using alternative methods of suicide instead of firearms. And to me if X amount of people commit suicide by hanging themselves, that's exactly the same as X amount of people shooting themselves.

I hate the way they include suicides in there gun death totals. Thanks for giving me the right info Mr Snipes.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by WesleySnipes » 12 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

MeccaOz wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:

I hate the way they include suicides in there gun death totals. Thanks for giving me the right info Mr Snipes.

No worries mate, If you want I'll post some of the authors names so you can look their reports up :)
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 12 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

There is a bit of a debate on MSN at the moment.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2014, 8:52 pm

Have we had a population explosion and I didn't notice? - 14% more people than Aus! Turn it up, what halfwit came up with that figure?

317 million is roughly what the US population is (well until someone gets shot that is) :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 12 Jun 2014, 11:13 pm

Where does one start.....

The success of the Australian gun buy-back and post 96 gun laws...

The convenient myth perpetuated by;

1)The gun grabbers and specifically the Greens - as they see the supposed success as justifying further restrictions and of course a disarmed populace is what those commie b#stards want....

2)The Government of the day because they were either 'in' back then or simply because any other position would encourage debate on a topic that the majority of Aussies have been hypnotised by the TV to actually believe(more gun more death, more laws more utopia). of course the masses keep them in their minimum $195,000 p/a 'job' plus super plus perks plus plus...

Of course the idea works for the gun grabbers in the US too!

Reality check time, listen Barry;
The gun buyback was bad joke, it cost half a Billion or so directly from our pocket back then, has cost $Billions since in our own time jumping through hoops, paying for permits, the actual costs running the firearms registries, police time coming into our homes checking storage... will continue costing a bundle until the registry is DISBANDED.

640,000 firearms were surrendered, its almost laughable but the real target was the nasty semiauto centrefires, according to the limited data from Victoria about 3.2% of the 200,000 vic arms were these semis. Across the board 3.2% of 640k is about 20,000 semis assuming an equal nationwide hand-in, but it may have been a great deal higher in VIC....
Almost half the arms were rimfires!

So, since the great garage cleanout of hundreds of thousands of rimfires and Pops hammer guns (there were also lots of import, a spike during 96/97) we have had approximately 950,000 legal import and how many illicit imports? I would say possibly 900,000.

Nationwide, we have a near official ownership rate of 15 arms per hundred people, the true rate is probably a great deal closer to 35 per 100 - that puts us near the top of the heap globally, yet our homicide rate is 1.19/100,000 officially last year, very low globally.

And every time those commies say 'they' have saved so many people by preventing firearm suicide, utter disgusting crap, I dont care how its done, its a disgrace especially considering last official suicide numbers from 2012 are the highest at 2,535 since 1998! and higher then the number back in 96 with 2,393.

Problem is no-one wants to know the truth.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 13 Jun 2014, 9:27 am

Never know the USA might add some efficiency to a defunct system from Australia. They might even have some good ideas. But are some people willing to change.Hmm ?
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 13 Jun 2014, 9:49 am

Shotfox wrote:Never know the USA might add some efficiency to a defunct system from Australia. They might even have some good ideas. But are some people willing to change.Hmm ?

There is "change" and there is "improvement".

The powers that be rarely seem to grasp the second option.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 13 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ChicagoTed » 14 Jun 2014, 8:17 am

There was a poll going around here a few days ago that said only 12% of the population knows that crime is at its lowest in 40 years........ I don't know how to respond to that
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 14 Jun 2014, 8:38 am

WesleySnipes wrote:No worries mate, If you want I'll post some of the authors names so you can look their reports up :)

Yeah, please do. I'd love to see them :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 14 Jun 2014, 8:40 am

ChicagoTed wrote:There was a poll going around here a few days ago that said only 12% of the population knows that crime is at its lowest in 40 years........ I don't know how to respond to that

I have read that a couple times lately in various blogs and stuff .. Seems to be an inconvenient truth mate.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 14 Jun 2014, 9:02 am

MeccaOz wrote:
ChicagoTed wrote:There was a poll going around here a few days ago that said only 12% of the population knows that crime is at its lowest in 40 years........ I don't know how to respond to that

I have read that a couple times lately in various blogs and stuff .. Seems to be an inconvenient truth mate.

It's delusional.....

As far as reports and authors, they're opinions... you want the raw fact ABS, AIC.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Will » 16 Jun 2014, 2:36 pm

Where is this for Ted?

Chicago or the US as a whole?
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ChicagoTed » 16 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

cant find original i think PEW or Gallup or some other big phone poll did it(late nights are not kind to my brain), but heres another thats in the ballpark
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Jun 2014, 7:29 pm

ChicagoTed wrote:cant find original i think PEW or Gallup or some other big phone poll did it(late nights are not kind to my brain), but heres another thats in the ballpark
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/

Thats pretty awesome news, cant believe that CNN told the truth for once though, lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by inervate » 17 Jun 2014, 9:45 pm

First time for everything?
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private