Good suppressor campaign

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Good suppressor campaign

Post by WesleySnipes » 25 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm

No joke, this is literally the first thing I found:

http://gunsnfreedom.com/australia-is-cr ... turned-in/

As to actual statistics I can't seem to find any that hold water.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2014, 10:33 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tiki » 26 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

Never comes across right in the video because the levels are all mucked up, muted, equalized down etc...

I couldn't tell you the episode number or anything, but I know in the show Sons of Guns they've done a few suppressor projects with supersonic centrefire stuff and tested it with proper sound meters and it did most definitely make a big difference.

Going from shooting with full hearing protection in their range to shooting with open ears in relative comfort.

I'm sure some proper numbers were quoted in the show. I wouldn't expect anyone to watch the whole thing through to find them but if it's on anyone's to-do list grab a pen and paper before you watch them and right it down :lol:
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by SendIt » 26 Jun 2014, 8:56 am

Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that suppressors only work on sub-sonics. I had a look and it looks like the Federal .308 tactical is rated at 2700 fps so a silencer will not work. Speed of sound is about 1125 fps. For it to work the ammo would need to be loaded to less than 1125fps

Nah. Like Wesley said you can't suppress the sonic boom/crack of a bullet moving at super sonic speeds because it's out of the barrel and beyond your control.

You can definitely still suppress the boom from the expanding gases coming out of the rifle.

You've obviously seen more than a few military 'sniper' rifles with suppressors fitted to rifles you know must be shooting supersonic.

Off the top of my head variants of the M14 are commonly suppressed and are .30 cal supersonic.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 26 Jun 2014, 8:59 am

WesleySnipes wrote:No joke, this is literally the first thing I found:

http://gunsnfreedom.com/australia-is-cr ... turned-in/

Yeah that was earlier this year.

More here - "Coke bottles now prohibited in SA" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1276

There is a link to the firearms amendments in SA there and a video on it.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jul 2014, 1:36 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that suppressors only work on sub-sonics. I had a look and it looks like the Federal .308 tactical is rated at 2700 fps so a silencer will not work. Speed of sound is about 1125 fps. For it to work the ammo would need to be loaded to less than 1125fps

I don't want my rifle to be silent, We only need to reduce the noise to a acceptable level that wont stuff my ears or my mates ears and have everyone within 10 kms calling the police because they are hearing gun shots.

I used to have a catalogue from Remington (sent to me by mistake) that shocked the hell outta me when I got it.
It was intended for military and police eyes only.

This catalogue featured 7.62 sniper rifles, as well as .338 Lapua Magnums, complete with SILENCERS, and a whole heap more.

So, based on that premise, I daresay that they work on all calibres.
Just depends on how they are built I spose.
:D :D :D
Last edited by Die Judicii on 09 Jul 2014, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Jul 2014, 9:23 am

Oldbloke wrote:When was the last crime that even involved the use of a suppressor? They never seem to pop up in any shootings that I've noticed, I'll have to Google it.

Mr Eastman shot Colin Winchester with a sound moderator on his ruger 10/22, the gun was never recovered,forensics linked his silencer to the crime.

Mr Eastman's appeal mentioned the fact witnesses heard the gunshots which he claimed would not be possible if he used a silencer, the PMC ammo he used was not subsonic.

The Gemtech catalog lists a 20-30 Db reduction when using their silencers.

This is one case of a silencer being used for murder, the silencer was crucial in forensics linking that silencer to the crime.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 09 Jul 2014, 10:01 am

One case of a suppressor being used in early 1989, 25 years ago.

We need to be looking for statistics on crime with suppressors in recent years, not cherry picked incidents on high profile targets from over 2 decades ago.

No wonder they're still heavily restricted if this keeps being brought up, you're playing right into the hands of the people who want them banned.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

WS

The silencer was crucial in convicting Mr Eastman for the murder of Colin Winchester,the prosecution had little else as the gun was never recovered.

Yes Mr Eastman used one and it was a key piece of evidence leading to his conviction.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jul 2014, 11:04 am

If silencers were ever to be allowed back, I see no reason why they shouldn't be treated the same as a firearm.

ie: Have a serial number, be registered to the owner, and be kept in the F/A Safe when not in use.

Pardon the pun, but surely any "sound" thinking critic would have to see the sense in that.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 09 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm

I think for the argument to develop any worthwhile political debate it must contain a benefit to the wider community, not just a few firearm users.

Furthermore, I do not believe the argument will gain any momentum with a "you choose" policy attached. I see, and I would guess the public will see little benefit in 10 people on the firing line with suppressors and 10 not. That then leads us to the question. Do we all want suppressors on all our guns, all the time? I think not.

This may be a case of "careful what you wish for".
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 09 Jul 2014, 2:51 pm

mausermate wrote:I see, and I would guess the public will see little benefit in 10 people on the firing line with suppressors and 10 not.

I have to disagree with that...

This is from Old Bloke in an earlier topic on electronic ear muffs.

According to the current Australian OHS/WHS regulations exposing employees to noise levels over a peak of 140db or to noise at or above an average of 85dB(A)leq for the period of an 8hr shift.

It is the “peak” of 140db that applies to shooters. Above this level you will have some hearing loss.

It's pretty straight forward to me...

20 guys on the line fire a shot each, you're subject to 20 potentially hearing damaging sound peaks.

10 guys on the line with suppressors and 10 without, you're subject to only 10 potentially hearing damaging sound peaks.

I see a 50% benefit right there.

You've above comment suggests that if you can't fix a problem 100% there is no point in doing anything, and I'm sure you don't agree with that.

In either case, that's obviously not the reasoning that's applied to other legislation. You could just as easily say "I see little benefit in outlawing speeding when 50% of people driving do it anyway".

I don't see why you wouldn't apply the same reasoning to suppressors.

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 10 Jul 2014, 11:06 am

SendIt wrote:In either case, that's obviously not the reasoning that's applied to other legislation. You could just as easily say "I see little benefit in outlawing speeding when 50% of people driving do it anyway".

I don't see why you wouldn't apply the same reasoning to suppressors.

I am hearing you! pardon the pun, but Speeding is not self regulated, you might want to speed and yes, half might do it but if you are caught you are fined.

Likewise, you may not want to wear a helmet on your bike to protect your head but you will be fined if you do not.

You may not want to fit a suppressor to your firearm to protect your ears and those of others around you but if you don't...
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 11 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm

That still brings me back to applying the same reasoning to suppressors, I'd be perfectly happy for them to be similarly regulated if it meant having them.

Off the top of my head I would suggest a set of regulations along the lines of...

You may (optional) use a suppressor at the range.
You may (optional) use a suppressor in a hunting environment.
You may not travel with a suppressor fitted.
Suppressors must be secured while being transported (similar to ammo, in a locked box etc.).
Suppressors must be stored securely at home (similar to firearm or ammunition storage).

Like driving, while you're doing the right thing you should be able to go about your business without interruption but if you're found to be doing the wrong thing then there is an appropriate penalty.

That's perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Do you agree?

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 11 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

Yes, I agree in principal to what you are saying but unfortunately it does not always work that way.

I'd say more but in the world of politics it's often wise not to blurt out all on a public forum.others may be listening

It's a good topic, worthy of discussion. I still say "err on the side of caution".
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 13 Jul 2014, 8:02 pm

Yeah mate, I know.

Not suggesting anyone goes outside the rules, just my opinion of what the rules should be.

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics