"I don't think it's a machine gun"

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

"I don't think it's a machine gun"

Post by nords » 30 Jun 2014, 8:45 am

I don't like ragging on the police as they do heaps of stuff I could never see myself doing, but surely some basic knowledge of the firearms you're targeting should be learned?

Video here on a radio interview about them seizing a firearm from criminals in Melbourne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkA63mvfns

The comment in the interview that made me post this is this.

I think it is some sort of automatic, I don't think it's a machine gun but it's certainly a high-powered weapon and I'm not an expert on guns.

It's a Savage bolt action. :|

And it's obviously a planned interview. He even had time to prepare, and still this.

Sigh.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: "I don't think it's a machine gun"

Post by Chronos » 30 Jun 2014, 10:05 am

Savage eh? Sounds violent. Better ban it ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jun 2014, 10:13 am

This fool needs to be called out!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by shazz » 02 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

Chronos wrote:Savage eh? Sounds violent. Better ban it ;)

Have you seen this thing in the states how a bunch of people are boycotting Savage because their logo is 'insensitive' too? :roll:

Some people really need a friggen hobby.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Carter » 02 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

shazz wrote:Some people really need a friggen hobby.

They should take up shooting instead of bitching about it all the time.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 02 Jul 2014, 3:21 pm

It's some sort of automatic.

The sort that is manually operated and not automatic at all.

That sort...
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by disko » 02 Jul 2014, 3:21 pm

What a coincidence, all my bolt actions are that sort of automatic as well :D
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 Jul 2014, 8:48 pm

I can't believe this. Most 14 year old video gamers have more knowledge of firearms then this serviceman that is supposed to have better than sound firearms knowledge, I mean heck, is this idiot allowed to carry a firearm as part of his occupation or what? And he has absolutely no excuse, he has owned various types of firearms in the past and still can't recognise the most basic and obvious of action types? It is people like this that spread misinformation with no knowledge and people just eat it up because it would be assumed he has half a clue on what he is talking about, being the assistant commissioner and all.

I really don't know what to say. My 9 year old brother can differentiate between a bolt action rifle and a semi automatic, and he's never even held a rifle. Just absolutely no excuse what so ever. High powered weapon? Standard run off the mill rifle calibre.

How people like this get that high up in the chain of command I'll never know. It's ironic that in order to pass a firearms safety test in order to obtain a shooters licence you must have sound knowledge of the basic actions types and how they operate so you can understand their respective safety mechanisms.

Not knocking the police, most do a good job. But with people like this administrating it's no wonder some officers seem fine enforcing ridiculous and useless laws that achieve nothing for the safety of the public.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 02 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm

I agree with what your saying Wesley ,
How was this man was allowed to have input into the type of firearm when he obviously has utterly no idea? Maybe he knew it was just a regular rifle and he simply didn't say so in order to increase the hype about gun crime in Australia? I'm not saying that's what happened but it's certainly a possibility .
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 02 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm

If he was just plain incompetent on this subject he NO damn business putting himself in a public forum to comment and if he was there to spread fear mongering and misinformation then he NO damn business putting himself in a public forum to comment!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Travis hutch » 03 Jul 2014, 11:00 pm

what a load of fear mongering bulls**t, feeding misinformation to people who dont know better
Travis hutch
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by scrolllock » 05 Jul 2014, 10:19 am

WesleySnipes wrote:It's ironic that in order to pass a firearms safety test in order to obtain a shooters licence you must have sound knowledge of the basic actions types and how they operate so you can understand their respective safety mechanisms.

I guess you can slap 'in service to the crown' on the end of your resume and skip that.

That's how you get a real automatic right?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 04 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

Or the reporter "That's not just a rifle"
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm

The one thing all you guys missed is ??????

Does that guy with his hands all over that rifle have a current firearms license ?????

In fact do any of those Gentlemen in that room have one and if not when are they going to be charged with being illegally in control and possession of a Firearm????

If it good for the goose then it good for the gander!!!!

Machine gun WTF
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Tonit » 05 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

Westy wrote:The one thing all you guys missed is ??????
Does that guy with his hands all over that rifle have a current firearms license ?????

Good catch. Not holding my breath for anything to come of it obviously...
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by lole » 05 Aug 2014, 10:07 am

I think it is some sort of automatic, I don't think it's a machine gun but it's certainly a high powered weapon and I'm not an expert on guns.

This is like...

I think my car is some sort of tank, it doesn't have a canon or any armour but it's certainly made out of metal and I'm not an expert on tanks.

We need a thumbs down emoticon on here...
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 05 Aug 2014, 10:09 am

I have a paper aeroplane on my desk here, I'm no expert... But it could be a fighter jet.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 05 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

I have a bolt action Savage rifle, where is the semi auto/full auto switch?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Arth » 06 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

It's a magical switch.

Only appears while your in a radio station.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Walt68 » 08 Aug 2014, 4:17 pm

It is idiots like this cretin that contribute to public hysteria, and if we do nothing to correct it, we will wake up at 3 in the morning with Police Tactical team kicking in our door and pointing M4s in our face and confiscating our " high powered automatic bolt action rifles". I am writing to the Victorian police about this blatant fearmongering.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by 1290 » 09 Aug 2014, 5:35 pm

The deputy chief freakin commissioner of this once, and I'm sure it was once a great state of Victoria cant identify the MOST COMMON type of rifle in this state, and nation, a BOLT ACTION....

hang on, its really an AK47..fully awwwwwto!!

I'm quite sure his motive was simply to spread fear amongst the sheeple... knowing he's on radio and the audience can not correct him.

He came unstuck as he didnt know his stupid thinking would find its way online in clear view...

And that Peter whats his name presented is the biggest lefty c$%k this side of most of our 'elected' parasites.

For the record, I believe a bolt action, particularly a longer barrelled big scoped heavy example such as this is the last type of firearm a crim would put in use......
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by sneaker » 11 Aug 2014, 9:52 am

1290 wrote:For the record, I believe a bolt action, particularly a longer barrelled big scoped heavy example such as this is the last type of firearm a crim would put in use......

Yeah, all the bikies are riding around with bench rifles tucked in their jackets :lol:
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 20 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

Can anyone still view the OP YouTube vid ?

Wouldn't be surprised if its been pulled down
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by adam » 20 Nov 2015, 1:12 pm

Video is private / or taken down...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 20 Nov 2015, 1:42 pm

Guess they realised the legalities of it and pulled it to stop from getting in trouble...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 20 Nov 2015, 7:06 pm

Maybe "I've just bought this great new technology garden implement from Bunnings"

Now for something completely different, I just discovered I’ve got a safe full of fully auto firearms. :allegedly: Boy am I gonna have some fun this week end :D
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Nov 2015, 7:35 am

The video is indeed a classic.... we Mexicans demonstrate time after time that we have the bestest most gooderest cops.. that money can buy :unknown:

I cant locate the video, interestingly it may have vanished, I hope 2IC Hanna Fontana really got a pasting from his colleagues from his sheer and utter lack of the basic knowledge even a junior cop should possess about gunses....I suspect there was a damage control campaign, probably Via 3aw/copyright....

Whats the collective noun for a room full of retarded hoplos
I really reaaaaaallllly cant stand that AW presenter, he's the most leftist excuse for an unbiased radio presenter... and his voice just grates on my nerves....I reckon he's partners with that commie journo that wears a hanky over his head..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Nov 2015, 7:51 am

This is the story from last year, about this fantasy of such a rise in the black market gun numbers.....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/v ... 6952434342

That at the top is one of the countless full-auto Martini conversions, I'm really glad thats another off the streets, yeah, that savage was 'on the streets' too...whatever...

Interesting is the distinctive read sight you can see at the bottom of the picture...... thats no replica;

Probably a 96/97 handback that they pull out for photo ops.....

The pic of the tard holding the savage BOLT ACTION is just ripe for meme'ing....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Nov 2015, 8:06 am

how about....
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 22 Nov 2015, 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bluerob » 21 Nov 2015, 8:10 am

WesleySnipes wrote:I can't believe this. Most 14 year old video gamers have more knowledge of firearms then this serviceman that is supposed to have better than sound firearms knowledge, I mean heck, is this idiot allowed to carry a firearm as part of his occupation or what? And he has absolutely no excuse, he has owned various types of firearms in the past and still can't recognise the most basic and obvious of action types? It is people like this that spread misinformation with no knowledge and people just eat it up because it would be assumed he has half a clue on what he is talking about, being the assistant commissioner and all.

I really don't know what to say. My 9 year old brother can differentiate between a bolt action rifle and a semi automatic, and he's never even held a rifle. Just absolutely no excuse what so ever. High powered weapon? Standard run off the mill rifle calibre.

How people like this get that high up in the chain of command I'll never know. It's ironic that in order to pass a firearms safety test in order to obtain a shooters licence you must have sound knowledge of the basic actions types and how they operate so you can understand their respective safety mechanisms.

Not knocking the police, most do a good job. But with people like this administrating it's no wonder some officers seem fine enforcing ridiculous and useless laws that achieve nothing for the safety of the public.

Misinformation and the "dumbing down" of society is one of the strategies employed for a few years now.

Why?

Because a lot of people who read newspapers or watch TV are known to have minimal knowledge of certain topics which are then exploited by journo's (a word loosely used these days.....) to make the topic "newsworthy" or sensationalize the topic into a frenzy of nonsense (refer The Greens and GCA for perfect examples).

If its not the mainstream media, then "social media" (an oxymoron if ever) is then employed and the language of that target demographic is employed.

When the majority of news reports are are based on the personal lives of manufactured talent (excluding what's happening in the Middle East), well, its a sad world.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics