1,400km fence "solution" to wild dog problem

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

1,400km fence "solution" to wild dog problem

Post by Bourt » 21 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm

One proposed solution to the problem of wild dogs in western Queensland could cause havoc for neighbouring areas.

Exclusion fencing is being investigated as a weapon in the fight against the worsening problem.

A proposal for a 1,400 kilometre wild dog exclusion fence is being put to western Queensland communities.

It's been put together by a group of graziers who formed the Central West Queensland Wild Dog Exclusion Fence Steering Committee in 2013.

The graziers say they were forced to look at hard infrastructure as a control mechanism to stop the number amount of wild dogs.

The fence would enclose 8.5 million hectares or 21 million acres.

A feasibility study has been completed by Resource Management Consultant, Ian Perkins who says by comparing the proposed fence to existing fencing around the world and Australia it shows that 'anecdotally they [fences] are effective' forms of control.

"We did some economic analysis and we came to the conclusion that at a 20 per cent effectiveness rate it [the fence] is cutting even."

The feasibility study estimates the fence will cost $13 million, and the committee is proposing that expense be shared equally between industry and the State and Federal Governments.

It goes on for a bit. Read the article here for the rest - Concerns a wild dog fence in Queensland may cause havoc for neighbours

$13,000,000 for a fence? Bloody hell. And they there will be holes, rust, repairs, blah blah blah.

How about a feasibility study into how much ammo you can make and how many farmers or hunters you could hire for 13 million bucks to spend a couple of weeks picket lining across the problem areas and cleaning them all out.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: 1,400km fence "solution" to wild dog problem

Post by tom604 » 21 Jul 2014, 7:01 pm

it would work, you may have to shoot all the wombats as well, not much stops those digging machines
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jul 2014, 9:35 pm

$ 9300 per km is a bit steep for a dog fence. Wouldn't mind that contract.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jul 2014, 9:45 pm

tom604 wrote:it would work, you may have to shoot all the wombats as well, not much stops those digging machines

Your right. Getting it up is one thing, getting land owners to look after it well is another. Emus, roos , horses, wombats , drifting sand, floods ec They all make a mess of dog fences.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 21 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm

Looks like another bandaid option to me, and a damned expensive one at that.

Let the shooters out there to take care of the dog (and other feral animal) problems. As for wombats, whilst I would never shoot one, I've a hating for those things. they've destroyed 2 cars, many of my own fences, and although an Aussie icon, i'm not exactly sure how they fit into the food chain.
Last edited by jennageit on 22 Jul 2014, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 21 Jul 2014, 10:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:$ 9300 per km is a bit steep for a dog fence. Wouldn't mind that contract.

For a fully netting fence, probably dug into the ground I'd say that is cheap as there is a lot of labour to go into errecting a trenched netting fence even joining the 100 metre rolls properly all takes a lot of time.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 22 Jul 2014, 7:31 am

My Question is why are the farmers expecting the general public to pick up the cost of what is effectively their problem???? As usual the farmers squeal like little girls and we all jump!!!That's my 2 Cents on this topic>>.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 22 Jul 2014, 9:52 am

should build it around Parliment House
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wilso1994 » 22 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

I don't think a fence is going to solve the problem. As I say to the blokes that bait the foxes around here, nothing beats acute lead poisoning.
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 22 Jul 2014, 11:51 am

Wilso1994 wrote:I don't think a fence is going to solve the problem. As I say to the blokes that bait the foxes around here, nothing beats acute lead poisoning.

Spot on Wilso. Here is a case where the government has resources such as "Red card shoots", Farmer Assist Programme", R Licence Holders', Various shooting clubs, SSAA members all willing to put their hand up and help with little to no cost to government and would gladly do so on an ongoing basis.. But alas, lets build a fence that will cost millions and even more to maintain, lets push the problem onto land holders behind the fence, lets manage this in the most ineffective and expensive way then sweep it all under the carpet like a well thought out "Greens" inititive.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jul 2014, 8:26 pm

Apollo wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:$ 9300 per km is a bit steep for a dog fence. Wouldn't mind that contract.

For a fully netting fence, probably dug into the ground I'd say that is cheap as there is a lot of labour to go into errecting a trenched netting fence even joining the 100 metre rolls properly all takes a lot of time.

It just so happens that I have spent some time maintaining parts of and renewing large sections of the dog fence near Marree South Australia,

There is no need to burry the foot netting , it will just rust if you do. The bottom of thr fence is layed flat on the ground on the dog side for about 2 feet.

when you buy your treated posts , star posts , plain wire and netting by the road train load it it becomes quite a bit cheeper than the prices you see at your local hardware store.

A fencing contractot worth his salt with 3 offsiders can get up 1000mtrs per day in good ground with the right gear.

Trust me, ther is plenty of fat on that to make yourself over $1000 per day and pay your 3 men very well.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 22 Jul 2014, 11:42 pm

No problems with that and agree on all points.

Material cost for one is what I was mainly getting at, bulk buy might be better but last time I asked about a roll of heavy gal netting I nearly sat on my arse when told the price.

I have had mate's that did some outback contract fencing and know how quick it can be done. There is a lot of expensive equipment and vehicles involved.

I still don't think the price mentioned is overboard. I don't agree with the comments about Farmers being responsible nor the idea of shooting being a solution. The problem is too huge and those that don't live in the area have no idea. So.... city dwellers keep you nose out, you just don't have the faintest idea.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 23 Jul 2014, 7:15 am

Apollo wrote:No problems with that and agree on all points.

Material cost for one is what I was mainly getting at, bulk buy might be better but last time I asked about a roll of heavy gal netting I nearly sat on my arse when told the price.

I have had mate's that did some outback contract fencing and know how quick it can be done. There is a lot of expensive equipment and vehicles involved.

I still don't think the price mentioned is overboard. I don't agree with the comments about Farmers being responsible nor the idea of shooting being a solution. The problem is too huge and those that don't live in the area have no idea. So.... city dwellers keep you nose out, you just don't have the faintest idea.

Hey Apollo if that was pointed AT ME YOUR OUTTA LINE!!! I grew up on 33 000 acres of sheep farm so I know a little about Dog problems and fences, if my comments offend well TUFF LUCK as the truth has a habit of that :!: :!: :!: But us city folk need to keep our noses clean but I'm sure our TAX dollars will be going along way to paying for that so called Dog fence

cheers Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 23 Jul 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks Westy I was waiting for someone to say that. and where is the "feisable study" into shooting control ? since a fence will fix the world.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm

OK, for arguments sake let's construct the fence BUT how is it proposed to clean out the ferals from inside the fence and keep ferals from coming in? The current methods don't seem to be working too well and at what cost.
A $100 feral dog bounty might solve a lot of problems.
A report from Canada showed that the most effective method of cleaning up feral dogs was aerial shooting.
Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

Bring on the bounty.

Dog fences are high maintenance and the ongoing cost needs to be paid by someone.

Some land owners couldn't maintain a dog fence to save their lives. Heres a photo of a gate on the dog fence that have been left open so long that drifting sand has buried it open.

I should name and shame the station tat this shot was taken, but everyone in the district knows he is a useless prick.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 23 Jul 2014, 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

A typical section of dog fence looking from the sheep grazing side
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

I think the the construction of the fence will be the cheapest part. The ongoing patrolling, inspection and maintenance of the fence will be the expensive part, not to mention getting rid of the ferals inside and keeping the ones out, out.
Leaving it to the property owners, I don't think will work either - they have too much on their plate as it is.
Fence repair Grants or Subsidies are just a waste of money.
Bring in a bounty!
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Triang » 23 Jul 2014, 10:24 pm

RoginaJack wrote:The ongoing patrolling, inspection and maintenance of the fence will be the expensive part

All the more reason to stick a rifle in the hands of the patrolmen.

Two birds for one stone.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Return to Firearms related media and politics