$7,150 for each animal killed in NSW Hunting Programme

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: $7150 for each animal killed in NSW Hunting Programme

Post by Korkt » 24 Sep 2014, 4:10 pm

Chronos wrote:I'm not sure set up to fail is the right description but it's certainly a long way from the "hunting in national parks" we all thought we were going to get under the original 79 park agreement.

If you had the inside info on the program though and had the budget for the costs involved, number of people signed up etc. surely you could see this was doomed from the outset?

The bounties on critters are $5 - $50 depending on the animal and state right? Average it and say it's worth spending $25 an animal, that would be 56,640 pests culled for the budget of $1.416m

How were they expecting "about 26 qualified shooters" and "a further 518 people" who've expressed interest to take out 56,640 pests between them :roll:

Just let people hunt when they're able/willing without all the bulls**t red tape. How f***ing hard is it?

Edit - Not ranting at you if that's what it sounded like, Chronos ;)
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: $7,150 for each animal killed in NSW Hunting Programme

Post by Chronos » 24 Sep 2014, 4:21 pm

If you suggesting I had any of this inside info on the program you're sadly mistaken.

I'm just one if the 500 odd optimistic suckers who filled out the form on the ssaa website, one of the 60 odd who did the required training and one of the 26 who've participated in the program. Nothing more

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 24 Sep 2014, 4:22 pm

No mate, not pointing fingers at anyone here.

Edited my reply above to say as much.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 24 Sep 2014, 4:24 pm

Korkt wrote:No mate, not pointing fingers at anyone here.

Edited my reply above to say as much.

No worries

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2014, 5:18 pm

Chronos I definitely feel this was set up to achieve the outcome it did, this was always going to be an expensive exercise using the model they chose and one can only assume the went this way to highlight how inefficient/expensive this programme is and the little reward for the $$ spent. Not having a go at you or the SSAA and anyone else involved but I reckon these Bureaucrats knew full well that this would be the outcome.

Quite simply you don't need babysitters and all the other stuff you mentioned in a previous post (maybe a GPS) but really all the other stuff as we know isn't really needed, the SF model seemed to work well, its a shame they wouldn't allow it to be rolled out into NP's too, but I guess there was a reason for that and I think we are seeing it in the news today - just another stitch up!

Anyway mate good on you for having a go, you can't do much more than that.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: $7150 for each animal killed in NSW Hunting Programme

Post by Warrigul » 24 Sep 2014, 7:29 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:There was a study in Tasmania which put shooting by contract shooters as the cheapest option compared to poisoning etc,i will find it later and post it.

However there is a big difference between experienced shooters and blokes from a city rifle club who have shot at a target to prove their marksmanship. I do a little bit and often take someone for a trip to further the sport, some of them are woeful in the bush when starting out. Most of the contract shooters I know have done it from a very young age and it is second nature.

In Tasmania it is a bit easier for us as most of it is spotlighting, what little I have done on the mainland has involved a lot of miles and highly developed skills

I wonder how the program would have went if there was more vetting based on experience? It should also have been allowed to develop over a few years, no one knows an area properly on their first visit.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Turtleburp » 24 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm

In the paper so it must be true...

Compare this to starting up a towing business - the $7,150 includes, buying a truck, advertising and persuading the missus to take calls (no small cost) - if asked how much to tow your first vehicle what would you quote?

Here are some quotes that I would take to the bank:

But if no one gets behind it it's doomed anyway

It should also be pointed out that these ground shooting operations are the last step in a pest control program of baiting, trapping and aerial shooting. No mention of the cost of those. Perhaps the high cost and low animal count is more a reflection of the success of these other operations.
- or provision of a comparison cost by species-

the guys running the SPC program are all experienced hunters,shooters and pest controllers and not the stereotypical semi hippy university educated ranger I was expecting

Where Chronos is wrong though...

In fact it seems the very parks selected for the three year trial were chosen because of their difficult access and the failure of other program's to irradiate goats in particular
NO ONE WANTS RADIOACTIVE GOATS ;)
Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 24 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm

Turtleburp wrote:In the paper so it must be true...

Compare this to starting up a towing business - the $7,150 includes, buying a truck, advertising and persuading the missus to take calls (no small cost) - if asked how much to tow your first vehicle what would you quote?

Here are some quotes that I would take to the bank:

But if no one gets behind it it's doomed anyway

It should also be pointed out that these ground shooting operations are the last step in a pest control program of baiting, trapping and aerial shooting. No mention of the cost of those. Perhaps the high cost and low animal count is more a reflection of the success of these other operations.
- or provision of a comparison cost by species-

the guys running the SPC program are all experienced hunters,shooters and pest controllers and not the stereotypical semi hippy university educated ranger I was expecting

Where Chronos is wrong though...

In fact it seems the very parks selected for the three year trial were chosen because of their difficult access and the failure of other program's to irradiate goats in particular
NO ONE WANTS RADIOACTIVE GOATS ;)

LOL would make them easy to find at night though...shame shooting must be done during daylight hours.

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 25 Sep 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics