Gun owner robbed and then charged...

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Gun owner robbed and then charged...

Post by Warrigul » 10 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

RoginaJack wrote:No Warrigul you are talking dribble.

No where have I supported the criminal. The facts as reported by the police were that the safe was fixed to the floor with 2 screws, nothing else, nothing more. The screws were no longer than 1.9cm, (3/4inch) and of insufficient length to reach and screw into the wooden floorboards beneath.

And why should't ALL the holes be used to fix the safe, after all that's what they are there for and a lot of the safes are also supplied with bolts.
I suppose you would be happy to fix your 52" plasma TV to the wall with 2 similar length screws and let the kids play under it.

I didn't say you did, Chronos and Cavok clearly offered the victim up for slaughter however and this is what I was on about.

Some people have no idea and totally lack any practical skills whatsoever. Unless there is a specific minimum requirement(e.g. two 50mm coach screws etc etc) you can't hang someone for being useless. "Securely fitted" is no standard or specification" it is airy fairy.If there was NO attempt to secure the safe at all that would be a different matter.

On the subject of mountings I have three safes, one has three fastenings and the other two only a couple each, more would be unneccesary overkill in their cases.

I would also draw your attention to the allowance in the law for a Wooden receptacle, this would make you wonder at how unjust it is to be fined for having a steel safe screwd to a wooden floor is.

It is a minefield.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 1:39 pm

Possibly that is why no conviction was recorded and the fine was minimal. Hence as no conviction was recorded he was not thrown to any wolves as what I wrote previously was over the top. We all learn as we move along, however some dare I say practices of securing a safe or securing a firearm in "a suitable safe" "suitable ammunition container" is obvious, and if someone is unsure, ask.

""Magistrate M Baldwin said while Miller was a victim of crime himself, the charge highlighted the importance of being "mindful" of the laws surrounding gun ownership.
Miller, who had no previous criminal history, was fined $220.
No conviction was recorded against him.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

Warrigul wrote:
By default you are also supporting the criminal by saying it was the gun owners fault.

Yeah, whatever!

The other downer to this sorry chapter is that there is a good chance that the Insurance claim for the theft of the safe and shotgun will be declined 'cause the Police Report states that the safe was not secured satisfactorily. Bummer!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brisb » 11 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

Hopefully it's not too much of a black mark and old mate can reapply for his license in a few years and not make the same mistake.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics