Remington to recall 7.85mil Rifles to replace defective trig

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Remington to recall 7.85mil Rifles to replace defective trig

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm

Could cost em a pretty penny. :shock:

America's oldest gun manufacturer, Remington, has agreed to replace millions of triggers in its most popular product—the Model 700 rifle. The company has been riddled for years with claims the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled, often with deadly results.

A 2010 CNBC documentary, "Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation," explored allegations that for decades the company covered up a design defect, which Remington continues to deny. But now, under a nationwide settlement filed Friday in a federal court in Missouri, the company is agreeing to replace the triggers in about 7.85 million rifles.

While insisting its action is not a recall of the iconic gun, Remington says in a statement that it is agreeing to make the changes "to avoid the uncertainties and expense of protracted litigation."

The settlement involves a class action suit brought in 2013 by Ian Pollard of Concordia, Missouri, who claimed his Remington 700 rifle fired on multiple occasions without the trigger being pulled. The agreement also settles a similar class action case in Washington state. The Pollard suit accused Remington and its owners of negligence, breach of warranty, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and fraudulent concealment—some of it involving the company's formal response to the 2010 CNBC documentary.

At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 serious injuries have been linked to inadvertent discharges of Remington 700 series rifles.

In court filings, Remington denied the allegations, calling them "inaccurate, misleading, (and) taken out of context." And last year, a judge dismissed several of the claims, including negligence and fraudulent concealment. But by this July, the parties announced they were working out details of a "nationwide class settlement" involving the controversial gun.

Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725.

Continued here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102236497
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Remington to recall 7.85mil Rifles to replace defective

Post by Hadoku » 06 Dec 2014, 2:46 pm

Some engineer who designs triggers is probably getting drawn and quartered somewhere at the moment :lol:
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 06 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

Remington's 700 series, which began with the Model 721 shortly after World War II, has been wildly popular not only with hunters and target shooters, but also with law enforcement and the U.S. military. The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation, thanks to a unique trigger mechanism patented in the 1940s by Remington engineer Merle "Mike" Walker.

"The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation"

Now that is just a lie :D :lol:

Isn't this the same recall announced last April?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

Nope this is a new one mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 06 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Nope this is a new one mate.

So it's pretty much every rem fitted with that trigger since the '40's ?

Interesting they will reimburse owners who have replaced their trigger with an aftermarket unit.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 4:07 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nope this is a new one mate.

So it's pretty much every rem fitted with that trigger since the '40's ?

Interesting they will reimburse owners who have replaced their trigger with an aftermarket unit.

Chronos

Yes it sounds like very interesting times for the Remington Factory, its going to cost em dearly, I wonder if they will survive this? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 06 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

Walker died in 2013 at age 101. But he told CNBC in 2010 that he believed Remington's rejection of his proposal back then "had something to do with cost." A 1948 internal analysis obtained by CNBC estimated the cost of the change to be 5 ½ cents per gun.

Poor man pays twice

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 6:47 pm

Chronos wrote:Walker died in 2013 at age 101. But he told CNBC in 2010 that he believed Remington's rejection of his proposal back then "had something to do with cost." A 1948 internal analysis obtained by CNBC estimated the cost of the change to be 5 ½ cents per gun.

Poor man pays twice

Chronos

Yeah I had read something similar to that myself a few years ago, I'll bet they wished they'd sorted it years ago when it wasn't going to cost what it would today! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Dec 2014, 7:13 pm

I have had my walker trigger let go a few times when I released the safety.... scary s**t. It hasn't done it since the last trigger job.

I wonder how we can take advantage of the recall here in Aust ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Dec 2014, 7:20 pm

I have had my walker trigger let go a few times when I released the safety.... scary s**t. It hasn't done it since the last trigger job.

I wonder how we can take advantage of the recall here in Aust ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tactice » 07 Dec 2014, 8:16 am

Rem will have contacted dealers to arrange something I guess?

That's what they did for the last one.
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 07 Dec 2014, 8:19 am

At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 serious injuries have been linked to inadvertent discharges of Remington 700 series rifles.

No such thing as a firearms accident, only mistakes by the shooter.

If it wasn't loaded and pointed at someone it would matter what happened with the trigger.

People shifting the blame for their stupidity is a lot of that I say.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Will » 07 Dec 2014, 8:21 am

Chronos wrote:A 1948 internal analysis obtained by CNBC estimated the cost of the change to be 5 ½ cents per gun.

So 50c-60c now... I think they'll survive.
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 8:43 am

Will wrote:
Chronos wrote:A 1948 internal analysis obtained by CNBC estimated the cost of the change to be 5 ½ cents per gun.

If my maths is correct that's around $3.925 mil going off the 50c per trigger figure.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 8:46 am

And this about Remington surprises you all " BECAUSE" ?????? Have purchased 3 in the last 2 years still own just the 1 which is more about the calibre than the rifle!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 07 Dec 2014, 9:09 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Will wrote:

If my maths is correct that's around $3.925 mil going off the 50c per trigger figure.

That would be the cost of upgrading current triggers being fitted to newly manufactured rifles.

The real cost of a trigger group shipped to an Aussie dealer might be $30-$50 then they need to pay to have it fitted, say another $30-$50

At $60 per unit it could theoretically cost rem $180mil if they replaced 3 million triggers at. $60 each

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 07 Dec 2014, 1:34 pm

My bet is that the Remington bean counters have estimated that a very low percentage of the current owners will take up the offer.

It will prevent any future litigation issues from future accidents as "the offer was made...and you chose not to take it"

$50 odd mill fixing triggers is chicken feed compared to 100 law suits.

Smart thinking.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 08 Dec 2014, 6:24 pm

mausermate wrote:My bet is that the Remington bean counters have estimated that a very low percentage of the current owners will take up the offer.

That was my thought regarding the last one.

I don't remember the specifics but off the top of my head it was something like a seal would harden to the point of failure at a certain point below zero. (check that if required, don't quote me or make a decision based on it for your rifle).

Point being anyway was that it wasn't relevant for 95% of people? 99%?

Many who've been using them for years in weather which didn't effect it. Not a big motivator to get it "fixed" when you haven't had a problem in years.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harper » 08 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm

mausermate wrote:$50 odd mill fixing triggers is chicken feed compared to 100 law suits.

Makes me think of Fight Club.

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by 1290 » 08 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

The owners of the owners of Remington would have done the math......maybe closing the Remington name down was an option / alternatively pay out to fix the triggers...and keep the Rem name going, for now.

They also own
Advanced Armament Corporation
Barnes Bullets
Bushmaster Firearms International
Dakota Arms
DPMS Panther Arms
H & R Firearms
Marlin
Mountain Khakis
Para USA
Parker Gunmakers
TAPCO

So their profit margin probably wouldnt have missed Rem......anyway, y'all gets a new trigger.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Klem » 09 Dec 2014, 7:55 am

1290 wrote:Parker Gunmakers

Interesting... That's more of a boutique outfit than I thought a company like Remington would pick up.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 09 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

Klem wrote:
1290 wrote:Parker Gunmakers

Interesting... That's more of a boutique outfit than I thought a company like Remington would pick up.

If I recall correctly there was a line of Parker shotguns within the Rem range, or under the Rem umbrella anyway, kind of like the Stevens line under Savage, but more exclusive...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 09 Dec 2014, 1:26 pm

Klem wrote:Interesting... That's more of a boutique outfit than I thought a company like Remington would pick up.

That's too high quality for Remington you mean?

Nyuck Nyuck. :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Firearms related media and politics