Martin Place Terrorist did NOT hold Firearms licence

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Martin Place Terrorist did NOT hold Firearms licence

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Heard a small update on this topic this morning, apparently there's now a possibility that the dead female was stuck by a police bullet. No mention of where she was struck or if it was the wound that eventually killed her. That little titbit was mentioned very quickly at the end of the update....hmmmm. The S.O.P for the TRG in hostage situations is "Contain and Negotiate", the only justification for direct action is only if hostages were being shot. I'm sure we'll be drip fed all the details slowly in time....
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

brett1868 wrote:Heard a small update on this topic this morning, apparently there's now a possibility that the dead female was stuck by a police bullet. No mention of where she was struck or if it was the wound that eventually killed her. That little titbit was mentioned very quickly at the end of the update....hmmmm.

From what I understand the autopsy report hasn't been released yet,i think I will wait for that.

A hostage friend who was pregnant and a co worker said Mrs Dawson shielded her from Monis.

Islamic fundamentalists rarely surrender being martyred is what they seek, I think we were lucky to have only 2 killed,perhaps the rules of engagement need to be changed to allow Police to shoot first in hostage situations.

My view is if you hold people hostage at gunpoint then don't whinge to me if the Police shoot you.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cooker » 12 Jan 2015, 10:02 am

Baronvonrort wrote:My view is if you hold people hostage at gunpoint then don't whinge to me if the Police shoot you.

Agreed.

Personally I can't understand why they give these guys the room, time and benefits they do.

If it's 1 guy only holding hostages with a firearm and a Police sniper has a view on him... Seems like a solution presenting itself to me.

It would be a different story if there we multiple hostages takes, but if it's a matter of dropping one and being done it it. Do it IMO.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Point223 » 12 Jan 2015, 2:09 pm

It's never this simple..

There's no telling if it's one hostage taker or many.. The police always think worse case scenario and proceed from that assumption. They did what they could and they did it well.
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cooker » 13 Jan 2015, 8:51 am

I'll let Baron speak for himself, but I'm not talking about the Sydney incident there specifically. I believe Baron was speaking generally towards the end too.

I'm saying as a general principle.... If a single gunman takes a group hostage I don't think it's unreasonable for the Police to shoot them to end the danger to the hostages immediately instead of letting it drag on and give more time and changes to the gunman shooting a hostage. I say he's voided any rights in doing what he's doing.

From what I've read/seen/heard in the media it seems like the Martin Place incident matches that scenario, but if I've missed something then fair enough to act differently.

Just a personal opinion here in any case.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics