Shooting accident at Little River

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Shooting accident at Little River

Post by whert » 29 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

tom604 wrote:bloke got shot(ankle) on a cull over here and it took two years to restart the culls, work safe may be the problem

Just what I read... But yeah, sounds like it was shut for the Work Safe investigation not the Police, as it's clear it's a freak accident and not a crime.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 5:10 pm

Im puzzled why worksafe is involved. Perhaps it was an employee that was hit?
I will have a look at the worksafe powers under the act.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 29 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

I have been involved in several investigations where worksafe also had an investigation going. They are a very strange organisation, time and inconvenience means nothing to them, they have no concept of private enterprise, production schedules, they live in noddy land. If an employee hits themselves on the thumb with a hammer they were using, need to shut the whole production down to investigate and see what changes needs to be implemented to see it never happens again, time is not the issue, "it's workers safety". OH, and it's always the employers fault if a worker hits themselves on the thumb with the hammer, simple.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 29 Dec 2014, 5:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Im puzzled why worksafe is involved. Perhaps it was an employee that was hit?

You'll end up more confused than when you started, plus you'll havea headache :?
You gunna pay the $200+GST to find out "Worksafe runs the world" :x
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Dec 2014, 5:38 pm

why the $200?

There are staff onsite....its a workplace.... workplace injury > call in the workplace fuzz.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 29 Dec 2014, 5:57 pm

1290 wrote:why the $200?

There are staff onsite....its a workplace.... workplace injury > call in the workplace fuzz.

Makes sense to me to.. BUT ....

The place I work had to employ an OH&S officer this year.

200 bucks just buys the National Safety Handbook, and compared to the full legislation and regulations,that I've seen filling 3 book shelves, the National Safety Handbook is just a pamphlet.

I reckon OH&S is the biggest industry in Australia now, if not the world.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 29 Dec 2014, 6:08 pm

time is not the issue, "it's workers safety". ,,,as it should be,,,unless your a boss, then its "lazy bludger,ya still got one leg" be a bit of a muck up if they said ,yeah go ahead and keep running and the same thing happened ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by anthillinside » 29 Dec 2014, 6:44 pm

tom604 wrote:time is not the issue, "it's workers safety". ,,,as it should be,,,unless your a boss, then its "lazy bludger,ya still got one leg" be a bit of a muck up if they said ,yeah go ahead and keep running and the same thing happened ;)

Totaly agree it's workers safety that is the issue.

But not so much with the time or boss comment.

I've known plenty of workers AND bosses that need a brain transplant so I guess OH&S gets the last say.

Over the last dozen years I've seen an increasing number of instances where OH&S have overidden both common sense worker and boss agreed practice.

In the end it seems you can't legislate against stupidity, but you can legislate for it :?
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Dec 2014, 7:33 pm

Worksafe ... blody sticky beaks, A bloke in Adelaide got crushed to death by his own car down his own driveway, the report said that worksafe were investigating.

My guess is that those one eyed, time wasting, government bureaucrat, , trouble making " professional " investigators are used for any industrial type accident weather work related or not when there is a accident that the police aren't interested in investigating themselvs, non criminal, not suspicious..
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cavok » 29 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm

Well it appears there is a consensus that worksafe is a bureaucratic time wasting organisation who appear to have nothing better to do than disrupt a legitimate business and write useless documents. Wonder how one obtains employment in such a useless enterprise, better than any public service job. Guess that's why Australian industry is closing up and leaving our shores, assisted by our useless unions. So close down unions, all of them like the old was it the BLF, Norm Gallagher's mob, and now get rid off the CFMEU, and I did say all of them, useless. Australia appears to be a very expensive country to build anything, Government Red tape, Unions, and Workcover, three (3) organizations or institutions that can stop anything. Sorry I almost forgot the stupid Greens, heritage listing. To my mind any building over 100 years old, to be demolished, here that is.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by T_M » 29 Dec 2014, 11:00 pm

I wonder if Worksafe would shutdown a farm for a few weeks while they investigate why a shooter slipped in the mud and twisted an ankle...
Anschutz 1416 D HB Classic w/ Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 11:12 pm

Been thinking about this & confirming. I believe ssaa has a few paid employees at the range. So its a workplace and workplaces not only need to ensure it's safe for employees but members of th public too. Sections 21 and 23 of the ohs act of vic.(the whs act is much the same) My expectation would be that the range will be closed for a few days while worksafe check out the range rules, training of range officers and supervisipn of shooters. Its some yrs since I visited a range but I believe the controls are well established and enforced, so may not be any dramas.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2014, 8:52 am

Additional news. Man only received minor injury. Media reported he was operated on but this is not correct. Has was released from hospital & is OK. Worksafe/cover is still investigating. At this stage cause has not been determined.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 30 Dec 2014, 11:48 am

Actually the company with most to loose in this incident, minor though it may appear is the Public Liability insurer. They will want a few answers and information. Also if it was an employee, and as written before they have several paid staff, but mostly in the office, many of the Ro's are volunteers. Still their safety and the safety of public is critical. Also by now three legal firms would now have contacted the person who from all accounts was slightly injured to gain him monies for pain and suffering, and a whole host of other claims. Minor though it may be, it has repercussions for all shooters, someone needs to pay legal and settlement cost, premiums will be re-evaluated and rise. :roll:
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 30 Dec 2014, 11:52 am

I believe SSAA self insure for PI/PL ....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2014, 2:18 pm

Apparently the range will be open this Friday (ring first would be my advice) just to make sure this is the case.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cavok » 30 Dec 2014, 2:43 pm

If the main range is open this Friday, it would mean that worksafe have actually done some work, must be Christmas. For those who are not aware, Little River range, Eagle Park as it is called is open Sat, Sun, Mon and Fridays. 9-5pm, great food and drinks on site.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 30 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm

Yep looks like it official, but do ring first.
http://www.m2news.com.au/tools/View.php ... e099a09a79
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 30 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm

Just saw the guy that got hit on channel 7 news, he's fine, not blowing it up.

Projectile didn't penetrate, even the press isn't trying to make a big deal out of it (yet)

So Range open, little flak, an incident to remind us to "play safe"

Perhaps 2015 will be a very good year.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 30 Dec 2014, 6:15 pm

Let them try to run with an angle on this incident.... target shooting is still one of the safest sports around..... I always think back to a footy match in an eastern league where a 25yo dropped dead of a heart attack. Would never happen at the range unless the guy was about at the other end agewise....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf ... =atalities,

Ha, try horse riding and fishing/boating and lets not forget cyclists and surgical errors.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 30 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

Ah yes, the ABS. the pinicle of the bean counters art.
Dont you just love some of the category descriptions?
Deaths due to Other ill-defined and unspecified cause of mortality (R99) accounted for 567 deaths, or 58.3% of all deaths due to Ill-defined causes.

In other words "Stuffed if I know"
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by veep » 01 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

Oldbloke wrote:Im puzzled why worksafe is involved. Perhaps it was an employee that was hit?

They are tied into shooting though aren't they... Powder storage for example is covered under Worksafe regs not firearms acts I'm pretty sure?

Something similar for operating a range no doubt.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by huccl » 01 Jan 2015, 10:28 am

anthillinside wrote:Projectile didn't penetrate, even the press isn't trying to make a big deal out of it (yet)

They needed a bit of blood so they could blow it out of proportion.

They must be sad they missed out :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 01 Jan 2015, 10:39 am

veep wrote:

They are tied into shooting though aren't they... Powder storage for example is covered under Worksafe regs not firearms acts I'm pretty sure?

Something similar for operating a range no doubt.

only from the workplace perspective.... else Vicpol are responsible for approving the range, and therefore enforcing any potential non-compliance with the ongoing operation.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 01 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm

Interesting.

Are there any actual EMPLOYEES being paid a wage at this range ?

If not, how can it be a workplace.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 01 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

1886 wrote:Interesting.

Well people are working there right????? That would make it a workplace in my Book??? :?: :?: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 01 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

There certainly is, they have a manger who is terrific, and several office staff at the range every day they are open, it is a very professional setup. A huge office where all manner of material can be purchased, primers, ammunition, all manner of loading material in great quantities. Also every person entering the range must register, pay the SSAA fees, if shooting. A huge coffee shop, lunch etc. Note there are approximately 80 rifle shooting positions, al undercover, with benches at every position. A secondary rifle range, then 21 pistol ranges to the right of the main range. Then shotgun ect.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ex_reven » 01 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

WHS/OHS applies everywhere.
If people are attending a range - even if they are not paying - the range has expectations to provide a safe environment.

At our range we make a point that all visitors, even if they are not shooting to sign in.
For example if I go out there to do some range improvements, we sign in prior to starting work - this ensures we have a paper trail for insurance purposes should anyone be injured etc
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1886 » 01 Jan 2015, 3:22 pm

ex_reven wrote:

WHS/OHS applies everywhere.

OK Cavok has answered the question in the affirmative as there are employees present but it still seems a bit odd they are involved in a sporting situation that didn't involve an employee.

But are you sure it applies everywhere as not every range or sport has employees, only volunteers etc and its a sport not your occupation.

Otherwise, every accident in every sport would require investigation by OHS and surely that doesn't happen in NSW.

Our Occupational Safety and Heath Act is precisely that. It only applies to work environments.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics