A year of concleaed carry declared “non-event” by police

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

A year of concleaed carry declared “non-event” by police

Post by Mich » 07 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

I know concealed carry is a point of contention for you Aussies, thought this might be of interest and potentially provide some ammunition in your struggle there.

A year after Illinois became the 50th and final state to implement concealed carry, law enforcement officers in the state have reported what anyone in 49 previous states with concealed carry could have told them in advance: fears ginned up by gun control advocates of “blood on the streets” never came to pass.

Joe Gallo, deputy chief with Champaign police wrote:“For us, it’s been a non-event,” said Joe Gallo, deputy chief with Champaign police, echoing a similar sentiment as law-enforcement officials in other area counties.

When Illinois became the last state to enact concealed-carry in January, after the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals struck down its long-time ban, police expressed concerns about safety. One of their biggest fears: police interactions with licensed gun carriers during traffic stops.

Champaign County Sheriff Dan Walsh said deputies made one DUI arrest of a concealed-carry permit holder in 2014. The driver was completely cooperative, he said.

Walsh said he told his deputies when the law went into effect to let him know if they ran into any problems.

“I’ve yet to get one,” he said.

“I think people were so concerned about it in the beginning, because there was a lot of media hype and speculation,” said Urbana Police Chief Patrick Connolly. “But quite honestly, we have often said the people who are law-abiding and take the time to go to class and register and understand the concept, hopefully, are going to be smart enough to handle the firearm appropriately. So, I don’t think this was something out of the ordinary.”

Danville police Sgt. Josh Campbell agreed, saying “When you’re talking concealed-carry, it’s mostly your law-abiding citizens, who don’t cause problems anyway.”

Concealed carriers in most states are required to undergo a through background check before getting a concealed carry permit, and many states require concealed carriers to undergo a certain number of hours of training focused on the law and legal theory of armed self-defense as well. Many states also require a shooting test to show (very basic) competency with a handgun on static targets at a short fixed range.

Curiously, there seems to be little to no difference in the percentage of negligent or criminal shootings by concealed carriers in states with absolutely not permitting process required (typically referred to as “constitutional carry”) and those states that have more restrictive standards (like Illinois), suggesting that the state-mandated courses might not have an significant effect of any sort, other than to create a cost and procedural barrier to lawful carry.

bearingarms :thumbsup:
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: A year of concleaed carry declared “non-event” by police

Post by tom604 » 07 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

mmmmmmmm thats interesting,,law abiding/no trouble/non event,,,perhaps there could be a light at the end of the tunnel :thumbsup: ,,now all we need are some politicians that have common sense :twisted: but i think before cc we need to get our semi autos back :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Guliver » 07 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

I for one hope CC is never legalised in Australia.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 07 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

CC would be the best thing for those who choose to, gives the crooks something to think about, even if it was mandatory for all off duty police, again this is many thousands more armed responsible people on the street, again an element of what the crooks don't know. The who factor.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Odo » 07 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

As it should be.
Law abiding firearm owners are law abiding.
Because if you ever break the law you will soon be a law breaking firearm non-owner.
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sifor » 07 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

CC will never happen in Australia and if it somehow did, I would not be pleased.
Sifor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by anthillinside » 07 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

Problen with this is;
There's no BIG STORY HEADLINES available.
If you hadn't told me I would never have known.
Spread the word .
OH a question, is that report getting any air time in the main stream US media?
Last edited by anthillinside on 07 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

Thanks for sharing that mate, that was a good read and confirmed what us rational people already knew. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mich » 08 Jan 2015, 8:08 am

anthillinside wrote:OH a question, is that report getting any air time in the main stream US media?

No, not that I've seen.

I only came across it because it was shared on some of the shooting websites I visit, same as I've done here.

Confirming people are sensible isn't the Fox format so gets no time.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Mich » 08 Jan 2015, 8:10 am

bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for sharing that mate, that was a good read and confirmed what us rational people already knew. :thumbsup:

I guess the democrats missed the interview.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by upup » 08 Jan 2015, 9:15 am

Guliver wrote:I for one hope CC is never legalised in Australia.

Sifor wrote:CC will never happen in Australia and if it somehow did, I would not be pleased.

Not having a go hear but asking.

So is there no process or circumstance you think law abiding citizens should be able to carry for defence?

Just rattling off some obvious ones (and ones that already exist) but if there was safety courses, storage requirements, maybe limited range of allowable defence guns (you don't need a full-auto glock for defence, how about a 5 shot .38 revolver or something?) no carry in bars, whatever else...

I'm just making stuff up now but question being, under no circumstances you'd yes?
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 08 Jan 2015, 9:23 am

upup wrote:
Guliver wrote:I for one hope CC is never legalised in Australia.

Sifor wrote:CC will never happen in Australia and if it somehow did, I would not be pleased.

So is there no process or circumstance you think law abiding citizens should be able to carry for defence?

Just rattling off some obvious ones (and ones that already exist) but if there was safety courses, storage requirements, maybe limited range of allowable defence guns (you don't need a full-auto glock for defence, how about a 5 shot .38 revolver or something?) no carry in bars, whatever else...

I'm just making stuff up now but question being, under no circumstances you'd yes?

Not sure of what you want to say, or what firearms you own. Not sure what you mean by range limit? Also Glocks are not available as FULL auto, no such versions without some major modifications. Never heard of a 5 shot .38 revolver, they are available in .50cal only. Why no carry in bars? If a person has a CC permit they carry in church as well as schools.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sifor » 08 Jan 2015, 10:48 am

upup wrote:

No that's fine we all have opinions.

If I were living in America I'd probably be CC'ing - the fact that everyone else is armed (a self perpetuating issue) and the likelihood of being a victim of violent crime is considerably higher cf Australia makes CC probably necessary in most circumstances.

However I don't see the need for CC in Australia at all - IMO it is not a dangerous country and I still feel uncomfortable with people carrying firearms for 'self defence'. I just don't trust people enough in their judgments; and having a Court decide after the fact is too little too late.

In any case, there's probably little point in debating the issue at length given that we've all likely got our set opinions and no amount of discussion will likely change it.
Sifor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by upup » 08 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

cavok wrote:Not sure of what you want to say, or what firearms you own. Not sure what you mean by range limit? Also Glocks are not available as FULL auto, no such versions without some major modifications. Never heard of a 5 shot .38 revolver, they are available in .50cal only. Why no carry in bars? If a person has a CC permit they carry in church as well as schools.

I don't own any pistols, don't know much about them as maybe my post is showing :lol:

About all the particulars I mentioned, they're just examples. My point about the automatic glock (most extreme pistol example I could think of, didn't say it was an off the shelf option) and revolver was that you don't that much gun to protect yourself.

Self defence may not be a 'genuine reason' to have a .50 Desert Eagle or high magazine capacity Glock but could be perfectly reasonably for a 6 shot .38 which could be called more 'sensible'.

If you follow... Dunno how to explain any better than that.

Bars, schools... Again just examples. We're just having a conversation, I'm not pushing anything as answers.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by upup » 08 Jan 2015, 2:56 pm

Sifor wrote:In any case, there's probably little point in debating the issue at length given that we've all likely got our set opinions and no amount of discussion will likely change it.

Whatever you like.

I can only speak for myself but I'm just here for some conversation, not pushing my views on anyone.

Balls in your court if you care to continue anyway.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 08 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm

i think schools would be the place that you would want cc,,i stand to be corrected but were not all the school killings a gun free zone?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by cavok » 08 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

tom604 wrote:i think schools would be the place that you would want cc,,i stand to be corrected but were not all the school killings a gun free zone?

You are 100% correct.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 08 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

At the moment road rage, pub arguments etc might end up in a bit of biffo that seldom end in fatalities, add CC to the equation an few beers in some hot head and the outcome can be very different.

Someone asked about firearms I own. I only have a cat H license if that's of interest.
Last edited by Guliver on 09 Jan 2015, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 08 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm

Guliver wrote:At the moment road range, pub arguments etc might end up in a bit of biffo that seldom end in fatalities, add CC to the equation an few beers in some hot head and the outcome can be very different.

I'm in two minds about this my self... but ...
An American saying "An armed society is a polite society"
Perhaps the pub arguments would stay verbal and not become physical in the first place?
Or maybe not.
I think there would probably be a transition period, an (unacceptable) spike at the beginning then reducing as people become aware that violence will probably be met with overwelming force.
:?: :unknown: :?:
I don't think I'll be part of that experiment :oops:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 08 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

Guliver wrote:At the moment road range, pub arguments etc might end up in a bit of biffo that seldom end in fatalities, add CC to the equation an few beers in some hot head and the outcome can be very different.

Someone asked about firearms I own. I only have a cat H license if that's of interest.

I am of the opinion that if someone questioned what firearms a person owns the question was possibly directed at the other quote within the reply, not directed at you.
Australia as is America, Israel or several other countries that allow CC. They drink as do you and I, they are the same as you and I. They have the same idiots and fantastic people who are no different to you I, or anyone else. They are also mostly untrained as you and I possibly, have faith.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by riggee » 09 Jan 2015, 8:12 am

anthillinside wrote:I don't think I'll be part of that experiment :oops:

Got hunting for a couple of months instead and stay out of the way :lol:
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Korkt » 09 Jan 2015, 8:15 am

That's a good piece, thanks for sending it out way Mich.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 09 Jan 2015, 8:16 am

No problem guys.

We're all fellow shooters after all.

What's good for the goose...
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by pajamatime » 11 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

I personally fully agree with CC but with strict conditions....entry criminal history check, yearly training, yearly mental health check.
with that said, I think castle law should come first...
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 12 Jan 2015, 8:56 am

pajamatime wrote:I personally fully agree with CC but with strict conditions....entry criminal history check, yearly training, yearly mental health check.
with that said, I think castle law should come first...

I have mixed feelings about concealed carry, but castle doctrine should be a no brainer IMO.

If someone is in your house it should be no holds barred in defending it, yourself and your family.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 12 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

pajamatime wrote:I personally fully agree with CC but with strict conditions....entry criminal history check, yearly training, yearly mental health check.

I don't know about yearly... But a little training would go a long way in the states. So it seems to me anyway.

When having been at the safety course, gun shops or shooting ranges here and seeing newbies handle firearms there is always someone at their side or over their shoulder up until pulling the trigger.

You see so many videos on YouTube of Americans shooting for the first time and they're obviously going to either scope themselves, jar their shoulder from the recoil, fall over or have the firearm go flying. Instead of correcting or helping them though, you can hear the cameraman and his buddies giggling like school girls before the person fires.

Sure enough, one of the above happens and everyone bursts into laughter. I've never seen anything like that here.

Worst is you see people shooting a full-auto for the first time and loose control end up spraying 30 rounds into the air. By some miracle never into the firing line in the videos I've seen.

Obviously there are many sensible, serious shooters their, but there is a gung-ho attitude that's too prevalent too from what I've seen. It would help to be rid of that.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics