Details on shots fired at Lindt cafe siege released

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Details on shots fired at Lindt cafe siege released

Post by whert » 29 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

After all the hush hush and speculation heard this on the radio today.

Dunno who's heard the sound bite of the breach but sounds like all hell broke lose. Numbers revealed on the radio today, turned out to me.

• 1x shot fired by Man Monis killing first hostage, forcing Police to breach.
  • 11x flash bangs.
  • 2x shots fired by Man Monis at breaching Police.
  • 22x shots fired by Police.

As speculated by some, turns out ricochet from Police bullets was responsible for the second hostage death :(

6 fragments hitting her causing her death.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Details on shots fired at Lindt cafe siege released

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

One thing you can always be sure of is , it never happens like the press first report . You can't help a ricochet and hostages do silly things .. like freezing or running away and not just hitting the deck straight away . All in all it could have been much worse and under the circumstances the Police did a mighty job .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 29 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

I still can't for the life of me understand why they just didn't send in the Dogs and let natural selection do it's job?????

Sure they (the Dogs) might have had to go around licking their ass for a week or so to get the bad taste outta their mouths but ricochets would have been avoided on the fuzzes behalf ?????

Why didn't the cops if they had to shoot something use a cricket or a .22 semi auto with subs opr even a .17HMR as these are redound for no ricochets even at close range among cattle so why not people ??? Bloody 223 is to much gun @ close Quarters

Maybe I should get one of those high paid jobs with the cops and set them Straight
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 29 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

1. It will not work.
2. It will not work.
3. It will not work.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 29 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

WHY????

Because you said so????? :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 29 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

Because you are a loud mouth.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 29 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

lets keep it civil peeps. =D
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 30 Jan 2015, 7:50 am

North East wrote:Because you are a loud mouth.

Yep that's me but we now have 3 people dead because the whole siege was Cluster f*** ( caused by the authority's) and because I'm a loud mouth that's the reason!!!! :wtf: :crazy: :wtf: He was know to the authority's and he was a head case, yep they f***ed it up real good IMHO :o :shock: :o

But I'm a loud mouth for surjesting a few ideas that I might even have some idea about!!!Tell me North East are you trained in these situations if not just piss off will you Nob Head!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Newdave » 30 Jan 2015, 8:03 am

Well, that escalated quickly.
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 30 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

Newdave wrote:Well, that escalated quickly.

got-out-of-hand-fast.jpg
got-out-of-hand-fast.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 5501 times

:lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by cooker » 30 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

Westy wrote:I still can't for the life of me understand why they just didn't send in the Dogs and let natural selection do it's job?????

I don't pretend to know what the situation was exactly at the Lindt cafe but I'm with you in principle.

Armed hostage taker... Police sniper = Solution.

Why give the guy a chance to hurt anyone.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Blackened » 30 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

Now that everyone's had their little vent lets get it back on track so we don't have to lock the topic over pointless arguing...
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 30 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

we are all entitled to our opinions but at the end of the day we are all m8s. lets argue in a civil way not in a childish way.
besides I'm out of popcorn and beer and as a last resort I might have to fry up some ammo and drink me some watered down gun oil ;)
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Newdave » 30 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

agentzero wrote:
Newdave wrote:Well, that escalated quickly.

got-out-of-hand-fast.jpg

:lol:

Gold lol
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by North East » 30 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

It only takes one....let it rest.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 30 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm

None of you people have a clue what the real problem was for the Police . They did not know if he had a b*mb or not . Also if it was rigged to go off if he was shot .
Once the manger was shot they went in anyway not knowing if they were all going to die . Lets have some appreciation for the bravery of the Police and the hostages .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 30 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

pajamatime wrote:we are all entitled to our opinions but at the end of the day we are all m8s. lets argue in a civil way not in a childish way.
besides I'm out of popcorn and beer and as a last resort I might have to fry up some ammo and drink me some watered down gun oil ;)

I always keep four or five casks of port handy, 1 cask of port is equivalent to a bottle of vodka and only $10.00

Saves wasting the tullamore dew on visitors and if decanted in to that old wedding present crystal you can even pretend it is a bit fancy and 9/10 visitors won't know jacksh i t e and just agree with you.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 30 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

Speak of the devil I have a visitor, time to break out the expensive vintage port.............

port.jpg
port.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 5362 times

I can't go shooting as the alternator out of my hilux is on the bench in pieces so I think i'll go and have a gutful, ciao.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 30 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

warrigul... you're a crackup...the old fancy crystal trick...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 31 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

How bloody good am I, three of us drank four litres of Golden oak SPECIAL port last night and I still managed to get up at eight rebuild the alternator, change the water water pump, timing belt and tensioner in the 2.4 diesel and the old girl is ready to go(only lost a little bit of skin on the backs of my hands).

Actually I might have a nanna nap now.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 31 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

Warrigul wrote:How bloody good am I, three of us drank four litres of Golden oak SPECIAL port last night and I still managed to get up at eight rebuild the alternator, change the water water pump, timing belt and tensioner in the 2.4 diesel and the old girl is ready to go(only lost a little bit of skin on the backs of my hands).

Actually I might have a nanna nap now.

yeah, but you didnt mention the 17 spare parts left over, little screws, washers, springs, hand full of nuts, a couple of those funny shaped things that surely werent meant to be in there and a couple of brown and blue wires.....

See if she turns over before your nap :P
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 31 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

North East wrote:It only takes one....let it rest.

I said was why not send in the dogs and you all of a sudden new so much better!!! I'm no troll but your sounding like something that goes Oink oink!!!! :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

I give you hint my grandfather used japs heads for target practise and the old man was trained to drop napalm on Chinamen in Korea so I think I might have been trained to know the difference between bulls**t and clay!!!!

I feel sorry for the cops who were put in a tight spot and as for the hostages it shouldn't be happing in Our great country!!!

The failure was the justice system that failed to keep this GRUB detained in the first instance and some high paid heads should be rolling over this incidence!!!!! :geek: :wtf: :ugeek:

All I was looking for how it could have gone down with out the lost of a poor women and the manager who was as we all new from the get go, she/ He was calatral damage!!!!! This is bloody awefull and in a perfect world she/He would be with us now!!!!
and for my effort I get called a loud mouth
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sha » 01 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm

Warrigul wrote:I can't go shooting as the alternator out of my hilux is on the bench in pieces so I think i'll go and have a gutful, ciao.

You should try put it in the engine bay.

Usually works better :P
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 01 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

I had pulled it down, skimmed the commutator ready to reassemble with new brushes and bearings when a forklift driver decided to knock the safety valve assembly on a receiver and I had to scramble to replace a leaking pressure relief valve.

Never quite got back to the job afterwards....
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Herdsman » 03 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm

It's the way of the trade.

A mechanics place is always full of broken things they're completely capable of fixing but never do :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 04 Feb 2015, 7:30 am

Westy wrote:
Yep that's me but we now have 3 people dead because the whole siege was Cluster f*** ( caused by the authority's) and because I'm a loud mouth that's the reason!!!! :wtf: :crazy: :wtf: He was know to the authority's and he was a head case, yep they f***ed it up real good IMHO :o :shock: :o

But I'm a loud mouth for surjesting a few ideas that I might even have some idea about!!!Tell me North East are you trained in these situations if not just piss off will you Nob Head!!!!

I can imagine the media response if the police had just taken him out before he got a chance to hurt any of the hostages.... "Brutal police murder peace loving priest" or similar.

I think the Police were in a pretty complicated situation, and whilst maybe they contributed to one of the deaths, they still did pretty well.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cooker » 04 Feb 2015, 10:18 am

cuvy wrote:I can imagine the media response if the police had just taken him out before he got a chance to hurt any of the hostages.... "Brutal police murder peace loving priest" or similar.

Sometimes they can't win either way.

As I said earlier, if someone takes hostages with a weapon I say they've forfeited any rights to being heard or treated civilly.

If you can't win either way, still best to just drop the guy before he has the chance to hurt anyone IMO.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Westy » 04 Feb 2015, 10:37 am

cooker wrote:Sometimes they can't win either way.

As I said earlier, if someone takes hostages with a weapon I say they've forfeited any rights to being heard or treated civilly.

If you can't win either way, still best to just drop the guy before he has the chance to hurt anyone IMO.

x 2 Cooker :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As they say dead men don't do anything
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Feb 2015, 12:24 pm

I think the policy of waiting for the offender to fire first is flawed, by acting after the offender shoots someone it will always result in a gunfight risking others.

The best option is for the Police to shoot them at the first opportunity and avoid a gunfight, whether they use a head/heart shot or shoot to disable is debateable.

If you hold someone hostage with a gun don't whinge to me if a cop shoots you.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I think the policy of waiting for the offender to fire first is flawed, by acting after the offender shoots someone it will always result in a gunfight risking others.

The best option is for the Police to shoot them at the first opportunity and avoid a gunfight, whether they use a head/heart shot or shoot to disable is debateable.

If you hold someone hostage with a gun don't whinge to me if a cop shoots you.

Amen.

You lost all your rights the minute you threatened someone else's life after that you wear the consequences !!!I guess the Law firms wouldn't have a job if the world rolled that way :?: :?: :?:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics