Victoria Government Kills almost 700 Koalas!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Victoria Government Kills almost 700 Koalas!

Post by Seconds » 10 Mar 2015, 8:21 am

Warrigul wrote:Nature finds its own balance eventually.

Simple and at no cost to the taxpayers.

Could be no cost and 10x faster if they'd let private hunters sort it out :thumbsdown:

And more humane.

IMO.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 10 Mar 2015, 10:01 am

Seconds wrote:Could be no cost and 10x faster if they'd let private hunters sort it out :thumbsdown:

And more humane.

IMO.

Not very challenging, you'd have to pay me well to do it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 10 Mar 2015, 12:07 pm

Warrigul wrote:Not very challenging, you'd have to pay me well to do it.

Pay?? I'd do it for S&Gs.... I'd wait for a busload of 'tourists' to arrive first. :lol:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 10 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why so they can hug the dead Koalas and not get ripped to shreds 1290
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 10 Mar 2015, 7:24 pm

No..... so I can be close enough to smell the horror in their expression as I destroy another ko-ali bear.. In front of then mwah ha ha :twisted:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 Mar 2015, 8:44 pm

Shooting would have been fraught with danger, imagine a bunch of hunters all shooting up at a 45deg angle. Sort of flies in the face of identifying what's behind the target and being safe. I'd break out the chainsaws and 00SG for the 12 gauge, solves all problems in one clean exercise. Cut down tree, shoot the dangerous drop bears with the shotgun while screaming "It's coming right for us", cut up the tree to fuel the BBQ to cook the drop bears. It'd be fun on 3 levels, Chain sawing, Shooting and Cooking with fire making it an exercise the whole family can enjoy.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 11 Mar 2015, 6:35 am

brett1868 wrote:Shooting would have been fraught with danger, imagine a bunch of hunters all shooting up at a 45deg angle. Sort of flies in the face of identifying what's behind the target and being safe. I'd break out the chainsaws and 00SG for the 12 gauge, solves all problems in one clean exercise. Cut down tree, shoot the dangerous drop bears with the shotgun while screaming "It's coming right for us", cut up the tree to fuel the BBQ to cook the drop bears. It'd be fun on 3 levels, Chain sawing, Shooting and Cooking with fire making it an exercise the whole family can enjoy.

shotties make sense, but i dont think the kids would be very supportive of the eating the cute koalas part.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2015, 6:39 am

I don't have a real issue with them doing it if its needed, to me they are just another animal that needs controlling at times (sad but if they are sick and causing environmental issues I guess its justified).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 11 Mar 2015, 6:49 am

brett1868 wrote:Shooting would have been fraught with danger, imagine a bunch of hunters all shooting up at a 45deg angle. Sort of flies in the face of identifying what's behind the target and being safe. I'd break out the chainsaws and 00SG for the 12 gauge, solves all problems in one clean exercise. Cut down tree, shoot the dangerous drop bears with the shotgun while screaming "It's coming right for us", cut up the tree to fuel the BBQ to cook the drop bears. It'd be fun on 3 levels, Chain sawing, Shooting and Cooking with fire making it an exercise the whole family can enjoy.

I can't believe your avocating cutting down trees with a chainsaw!!!!I Bloody shocked at this idea!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2015, 8:17 am

I reckon they would advocate shotguns or .22's and low velocity ammo(think quiets, zz's etc, my favorite at the moment is CCI low velocity segmented- around 760fps at muzzle and a 28 grain pill-I think)

I shoot hundreds of possum each year (over 600 on this years returns, and that's before you count the ones I trap and I run a 30 trap line at times).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 11 Mar 2015, 8:31 am

Warrigul wrote:I reckon they would advocate shotguns or .22's and low velocity ammo(think quiets, zz's etc, my favorite at the moment is CCI low velocity segmented- around 760fps at muzzle and a 28 grain pill-I think)

I shoot hundreds of possum each year (over 600 on this years returns, and that's before you count the ones I trap and I run a 30 trap line at times).

What do you shoot the tree rats (possums) with? I 'heard' 22 subs are inadequate.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2015, 8:55 am

1290 wrote:What do you shoot the tree rats (possums) with? I 'heard' 22 subs are inadequate.

Most Subs are fine, but some don't expand and just go straight through which is the problem with high velocity.

I have stopped using a certain brand because of this. Subsonic powerpoints seem the best but at less than 10m in most cases a shot under the chin drops them easy, I've been using quiet .22's in the traps to avoid richochets and even found them to be okay out to 15m on treed possum. You really don't want to shoot them too close or the bullet just goes through which is why the quiet .22's are good- brainshot and they drop straight away no pain or fuss. I wouldn't advise shooting wildly at 50m when they are heading full tilt across a paddock but treed isn't generally an issue.

I book up five rounds per possum but usually finish them off if need be with a hammer so at most it is usually two shots max.

I don't really know how hard a koala would be to dispatch as I obviously haven't tried it out yet but I can't see any issue. I am willing to try if they want me to pay me but I think it would be like watching paint dry.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Seconds » 12 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

Warrigul wrote:Not very challenging, you'd have to pay me well to do it.

Well, that's you.

I'm sure there would be others willing to do it for free and enough to have a positive impact on the situation.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Seconds wrote:Well, that's you.

I'm sure there would be others willing to do it for free and enough to have a positive impact on the situation.

yep, :lol:
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by anthillinside » 14 Mar 2015, 3:44 pm

Could be a greate tourist attraction ...
Come and see the unique Australian "Drop Bears" their mating calls sound like rifle shots!
Someone hiding in the bushes with a supressed rifle ....bang! ... Drop Bear :lol:
Now who knows how to track hoop snakes :?:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 14 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

Koalas :thumbsup: oops wrong thread,, i thought i was on the best crab pot bait thread :problem: i wonder what they did with all those Koalas :unknown: :silent: :thumbsup:

if they wanted a quick cheap fix they would of just shot 4000 of them, could of done it in a month or two instead of two years :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by cooker » 18 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

Get one on a branch over a river and save yourself the effort of setting the trap too :lol:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics