Greens target arms fairs

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Greens target arms fairs

Post by Seconds » 13 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

:problem:

The Greens have highlighted the issue of gun fairs in NSW as they prepare to battle it out for the final spot in the upper house in the NSW election.

Official police data obtained by the Greens shows that NSW Police approved 21 applications for permits to run fairs that promote firearms, rejecting just one application between 2012 to 2014.

Greens MP David Shoebridge, who obtained the information through freedom of information laws, said it raised concerns about the level of scrutiny of permit applications.

The figures show Penrith has held 11 so-called "arms fairs" in three years, more than any other city.

"NSW Police have been unable to advise the criteria on which arms fair permit applications are determined, so it looks very much like they are simply rubber-stamped," Mr Shoebridge said.

"Arms fairs only do one thing, and that is promote a culture of guns and hunting, they have no place in a peaceful society that is looking to reduce violence.

"People across the state are rightly concerned about arms fairs and their impact on public safety."

A NSW Police spokeswoman said applications for permits for arms fairs were thoroughly scrutinised.

"NSW licensed firearms dealers or club officials who wish to conduct an arms fair have to undertake a thorough application process, which requires approval from the local council and an independent risk assessment conducted by a licensed security consultant, before the application is submitted to police for final review," the spokeswoman said.

"Fair organisers must also supply a code of conduct for exhibitors, outlining rules on security and supervision of exhibits."

The police spokeswoman said arms fairs had been held in towns and cities across NSW for decades.

"They don't just cater for firearms and ammunition sales, they also offer clothing, accessories, GPS and safety equipment, rural farming equipment, camping items and other products and services relevant to rural and regional communities," she said.

"These fairs are particularly important for farmers, providing them with an opportunity to get information on, and purchase, the latest equipment for rural properties.'

Shooters and Fishers Party MP Robert Borsak said people from all over Sydney attended the Penrith arms shows, which he described as "shooting, hunting cultural events".

He said Penrith had been selected because of the large size of the venue it offered and rejected any link between the fairs and gun sales.

"They are basically exhibitions," Mr Borsak said. "Firearms are a small part of the show itself. You have photography exhibitions, camping equipment and hunting outfitters on show.

"No firearms can be sold there. I think this is another futile attack on our culture".

Mr Borsak said police have a "very detailed and stringent set of rules around the fairs" with at least two armed guards being present to supervise each gun fair. The Age.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Greens target arms fairs

Post by rigatoni » 19 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm

Official police data obtained by the Greens shows that NSW Police approved 21 applications for permits to run fairs that promote firearms, rejecting just one application between 2012 to 2014.

They approved legal community events? OMFG bastards :sarcasm:
Weaver Grand Slam
Savage 11/111 FCNS .270 Winchester
rigatoni
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Vati » 19 Mar 2015, 12:37 pm

"Arms fairs only do one thing, and that is promote a culture of guns and hunting, they have no place in a peaceful society that is looking to reduce violence.

Non one is promoting violence at these things you $#(*^*3 %#$***@@3 :evil:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

Desperate and slanderous.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by anthillinside » 19 Mar 2015, 7:34 pm

Soooo here’s a bit of gratuitous advertising ….for Victoria
MELBOURNE ARMS & MILITARIA FAIR

WESTGATE SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE
**THIS WEEKEND**
21&22 March 2015
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

anthillinside wrote:Soooo here’s a bit of gratuitous advertising ….for Victoria

Damn thanks for that. I've never been and have no reason not to this year !
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by anthillinside » 19 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

It's not the best in the world but you never know what you'll find.
It's a good excuse to get out of the house work (maintenance) for a few hours.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

anthillinside wrote:It's not the best in the world but you never know what you'll find.
It's a good excuse to get out of the house work (maintenance) for a few hours.

Any others in Vic worth driving hours to? Let me guess, I've missed the best ones :o
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by anthillinside » 19 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm

Yeah the best ones are the ones you didn't get to, the very best ones are the ones you can't get to. :cry:
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Mar 2015, 9:13 pm

I'll have to donate a few $ to the tree huggers for informing me about the Penrith Gun Show, didn't know about it till this post. The best bit is its only 8 weeks away, plenty of time to get some PTA's approved and save some coins.

Thanks Greenies :) I really appreciate the heads up.
http://penrithgunshow.com.au/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Mar 2015, 9:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'll have to donate a few $ to the tree hugging leso's for informing me about the Penrith Gun Show,

thanks greenies for reminding you Brett and giving me enough time to consider a trip to Sydney and to catch up with mates in Newy :thumbsup:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm

KWhorenet wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I'll have to donate a few $ to the tree hugging leso's for informing me about the Penrith Gun Show,

thanks greenies for reminding you Brett and giving me enough time to consider a trip to Sydney and to catch up with mates in Newy :thumbsup:

P.M me if you head up for the show, would be good to put a face to a name.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 20 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

anthillinside wrote:Soooo here’s a bit of gratuitous advertising ….for Victoria
MELBOURNE ARMS & MILITARIA FAIR

WESTGATE SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE
**THIS WEEKEND**
21&22 March 2015

*bump*

Suck it greens :P :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by halberg » 20 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

No such thing as bad publicity they say.

Talking it up greenies :lol:
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by anthillinside » 22 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

More peope than last year, both exibitor and attendees.
I think the venu is better than the show grounds.
Picked up a few odds and ends and had an enyoyable day, well worth it.
I wonder if the organisers would welcome some of the bigger dealers and if the dealers woild be interested?
I know it's not ment to be a "Shot Show" type of event and I woudn't want it to turn into one, I love the old stuff.
Some more main stream and new stuff could attract more turnover as long as the little guys didn't get pushed out.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by samf » 22 Mar 2015, 3:53 pm

anthillinside wrote:More peope than last year, both exibitor and attendees.

In your face Greens :lol:
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 22 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm

Big line Sat morning but worth it, go the lithgow slazenger I was looking for.
Wanted one because its like my Dad's first and the first .22 I shot
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 23 Mar 2015, 7:41 am

KWhorenet wrote:Desperate and slanderous.

Spot on.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Libel and Slander in my opinion

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Mar 2015, 8:43 am

Yelp wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:Desperate and slanderous.

Spot on.

I would go as far to say I feel the type of vitriol and grotesque prejudice that gets spouted and published by the Greens against shooters and hunters could fall under 'Defamation' against the collective group...why should we feel ostracized for enjoying LEGAL activities and hobbies?

"Libel and Slander

Two torts that involve the communication of false information about a person, a group, or an entity such as a corporation. Libel is any Defamation that can be seen, such as a writing, printing, effigy, movie, or statue. Slander is any defamation that is spoken and heard.

Collectively known as defamation, libel and slander are civil wrongs that harm a reputation; decrease respect, regard, or confidence; or induce disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The injury to one's good name or reputation is affected through written or spoken words or visual images. The laws governing these torts are identical.

To recover in a libel or slander suit, the plaintiff must show evidence of four elements: that the defendant conveyed a defamatory message; that the material was published, meaning that it was conveyed to someone other than the plaintiff; that the plaintiff could be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory material; and that the plaintiff suffered some injury to his or her reputation as a result of the communication."
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by trekin » 24 Mar 2015, 8:29 am

The hard part is proving, to the satisfaction of a court, the the last element "that the plaintiff suffered some injury to his or her reputation as a result of the communication.", particularly as a group. As an individual, your chances may be better, but very few of us can afford, cash wise, to do this. However it is something that badly needs doing.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ken » 24 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

SSAA... *poke poke*

Seems like something they could spearhead.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

Frankly I think some of the greenies could be jealous of us. I consider my self a conservationist/greenie. We actually do some thing that helps the environment. We destroy the introduced pests that cause some native species to go extinct. And if natives are shot it is done to manage an over population problem. They just winge about it, but do nothing.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 25 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

The political party has made "green" a 4 letter word.

I do my best not to waste anything... Food, power etc. I'm conscious of recycling, reusing and repurposing things wherever possible.

I always take my rubbish plus half a bag left behind by other people when I'm in the bush.

I hunt, for food or to destroy invasive and damaging pests.

If you'd asked me 25 years ago I'd happily have said I'm "Green".

Saying it these days is like a declaration "I'm a do gooder zealot who doesn't know what I'm taking about, but that won't stop me from judging and criticizing others. Behold my pedestal. Give me praise for being vocal but not taking any action."
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ariat » 25 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

Ken wrote:SSAA... *poke poke*

Seems like something they could spearhead.

*tumble weed rolls by*

:lol:
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics