Greens claim foul in Senate guns report

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Greens claim foul in Senate guns report

Post by trekin » 20 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

Newdave wrote:Say what you want about the greens but looks like they have won. Just spoke to my local gunshop owner and he confirmed he was in contact with the SFP and was told the NSW government is seriously considering recategorising levers and pumps as well as a number of other changes to firearms laws. The government won't even give the SFP the source of the recomendations or the justifications for them. It's pritty unbelievable.

Smells like Chinese, sounds like whispers. One would think that if there were any truth that this was coming about, then the Media and the Greens, and the Greens in the Media, would crowing about it like there's no tomorrow. Now I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but if this is SFP's way of increasing membership, then I thinks their going about it the wrong way.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by chacka » 20 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

I think the greens would have a parade if they got that through.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

Newdave wrote:Say what you want about the greens but looks like they have won. Just spoke to my local gunshop owner and he confirmed he was in contact with the SFP and was told the NSW government is seriously considering recategorising levers and pumps as well as a number of other changes to firearms laws. The government won't even give the SFP the source of the recomendations or the justifications for them. It's pritty unbelievable.

At this point in time nothing will happen in the reclassification of certain firearms from Cat. B to Cat C. The SFP are guilty of a bit of scare mongering I suspect to increase their profile within the shooting public. I suspect you received this information from an older, rounder, shorter gentleman from a gun shop in Sydney's outer west or one of his colleagues as I got the same line a few weeks back about the police doing unannounced storage inspections. It's always a friend of a friend or a mates cousin that it happened to and I've yet to find a first hand report of this sort of inspection.
I possibly have the most to lose of all members on this forum if this change in legislation actually happens, which it won't. I raised this rumor in a call to the F.A.R this morning when discussing some other business and they haven't heard anything as yet. They're generally the last to know anyway so I can't put much weight on if it'll happen or not based on the F.A.R's knowledge of the matter.
I'm not worried by all this noise, been hearing similar things for the past few years and nothing happens. Mailed off a bunch of PTA's this morning and think I'll use one for another lever action... :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Newdave » 20 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

I hope your right mate. The SFP on their Victorian page have stated much the same thing. Saying they have documents and are in discussion with the government. They seem to be taking it pritty serious. Hopefully it's just a storm in a tea cup.
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 20 Apr 2015, 5:37 pm

Newdave wrote:I hope your right mate. The SFP on their Victorian page have stated much the same thing. Saying they have documents and are in discussion with the government. They seem to be taking it pritty serious. Hopefully it's just a storm in a tea cup.

Funny thing is, there is no mention of this issue on the SFP's website, and the SF Vic's Facebook page makes no mention of documentation. Do you have a link?? Again, Chinese + whispers, and if this a their way of increasing membership, me thinks the outcome will be bite marks on the arse.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Newdave » 20 Apr 2015, 5:53 pm

Read the comments on the SFP Vic page. The SFP moderator responded to a comment by someone suggesting just as you have that it was just rumour. They replied saying they have some documents including the recomendations and are in discussion with the gov about them.
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 20 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4231
SFP raising the issue already, lets hope they can keep some pressure on, in other states and federal as well
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 20 Apr 2015, 9:02 pm

so why is there no sfp vic site just a nsw one :thumbsdown:
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 20 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

It's faceplant https://www.facebook.com/SFPVIC
There not very web savy I think and still a bit disjointed between states, but it's early days yet.
They weren't even a registered party in Vic before the last election.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics