Ban toy guns 10 year old ' finger on the trigger '

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Ban toy guns 10 year old ' finger on the trigger '

Post by AusTac » 11 Jun 2015, 7:37 am

So i was just listening to kiss fm on the way to work when during the news segment it was called to ban All toy guns as a 10 year old had a 'toy rifle' just outside the Lint cafe' and had ' his finger on the trigger '

Seriously.. whats happening to this country
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Ban toy guns 10 year old ' finger on the trigger '

Post by Chronos » 11 Jun 2015, 10:03 am

I tell you what's happening, parents are failing to teach their kids to keep their finger away from the trigger until they are on target :thumbsup:

They should be getting on with solving some of the worlds real problems and leave the kid alone.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by adam » 11 Jun 2015, 10:08 am

I'll bite.

Firstly I've got to question why there was a 10yo boy with a toy rifle in that area in the first place. I have no problems with toy guns - but I would consider that there are there are times and places for it, and there are times and places that would be less than suitable.

In Australia at this point in time - I couldn't think of a more provocative place for a kid to be playing with a rifle. It would be like someone taking a toy rifle to Port Arthur months after the massacre that occurred there. Not the most appropriate choice of toy for the location.

So I've got to ask - was this preplanned? Is this a deliberate act to invoke emotion from the public? If so - to what end? Is this the initial trickle for a flood to a start the push for another set of gun law restrictions, or someone who wants to upset and stir the general public, get on the news, or was it just an oversight that just happens to be a significant coincidence that this has occurred at what would be the most provocative place currently in Australia?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Jun 2015, 10:15 am

adam wrote:I'll bite.

Firstly I've got to question why there was a 10yo boy with a toy rifle in that area in the first place. I have no problems with toy guns - but I would consider that there are there are times and places for it, and there are times and places that would be less than suitable.

In Australia at this point in time - I couldn't think of a more provocative place for a kid to be playing with a rifle. It would be like someone taking a toy rifle to Port Arthur months after the massacre that occurred there. Not the most appropriate choice of toy for the location.

So I've got to ask - was this preplanned? Is this a deliberate act to invoke emotion from the public? If so - to what end? Is this the initial trickle for a flood to a start the push for another set of gun law restrictions, or someone who wants to upset and stir the general public, get on the news, or was it just an oversight that just happens to be a significant coincidence that this has occurred at what would be the most provocative place currently in Australia?

As I see it it's nothing to do with the event itself, it's about the massive overreaction by both the media and the pitch fork carrying mob on social media.

Yes it's unfortunate, but the way people carry on about stuff like this is ridiculous. Ban toy guns, ban hunting trophies, ban anything else tgat looks evil or they saw in a movie.

10 years ago it might have made page 17 of the paper and someone somewhere might have been outraged. These days it's blown totally out of proportion because every goose with a Twitter or FB account has to tell the world how they feel about everything.

There, now I've told the world how I feel about that
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 11 Jun 2015, 10:35 am

11th of September 2001, we should ban all aeroplanes……
Tomatoes will kill you…….ban Tomatoes……..

How about we ban MORONS ?

What parents should do is teach kids with toy guns to be responsible. Recently we had a youngster shooting our laser toy guns at the interactive reactive targets, and the whole thing was all about fun but we taught him the 4 rules of gun safety and he actually learned from it and followed the instructions.

Amazing how education works. Problem is so few in society today are equipped to teach their kids about gun safety.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jun 2015, 10:46 am

Kids have their favorite toys and will put on an act if not allowed to bring them along on outings. For this kid it happens to be a toy gun for others it's a pack of Pokemon cards, for my kid it's a 35yr old stuffed toy Wombat. A totally innocent act on behalf of the kid and parents blown out of all proportion by the do gooders of our society. Let kids be kids, it should be a crime to enforce political correctness on kids as it retards their minds.

Maybe I have to destroy my sons innocence and lecture him on the evils of stuffed toy animals and how it portrays animals as toys instead of symbiotic life forms just to be politically correct like the rest of the flock.....like that's going to happen... :sarcasm:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2015, 11:04 am

I'm still hiding under my bed scared ****** after hearing about a kid with a toy gun in Sydney! I might need to speak to someone as I feel very traumatised by the whole thing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

The hoplophobes are butthurt over a kid with a toy, I wonder if they will call for a toy gun buy back,should water pistols be banned as well, if they ban water pistols will this mean my 70 year old aunt has to hand in her pump action water pistol she uses to scare Indian mynah birds away.

Meanwhile kids are playing with real ak47's in some places yet this does not cause outrage like a toy gun.
www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=child+with+ak47

On the morning show they mentioned American gun culture and how fearsome that is,i have never heard of Americans shooting guns into the air at weddings.
www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=arab+wedding+gunfire

Is it just me or does anyone else think a degree of mental retardation is infecting our society?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2015, 11:36 am

Yes the brainwashing of the sheeple is well underway - all I can say is I hope the hell they stay in Sydney and don't venture out past the city limits, we don't want what they are suffering from coming out bush.

They are nothing but a bunch of retarded f***s as far as I'm concerned and they all deserve each other! I wonder if they will hold another candlelight vigil in the wake of this latest horrendous scare :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Browning » 11 Jun 2015, 3:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I wonder if they will hold another candlelight vigil in the wake of this latest horrendous scare :D

Haha love it!! Another candle light vigil.. Had me in stitches.. Glad I'm not the only one annoyed but soft, leftie morons...
Cheers for the laugh
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2015, 5:41 pm

The other glaring obvious issue with this whole thing is the fact we don't have access to AK47's here in Aus (99.99% of us anyway) so why are they getting so bent out of shape over a toy one? and the toy one is a lot smaller than a real one anyway. :unknown:

Typical attention seeking drama queen crap from the media, no wonder a blokes given the whole media circus the arse! just ain't worth the headache and being pissed off putting up with their crap. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

I wonder if they will hold another candlelight vigil in the wake of this latest horrendous scare

I can supply some ICI Brand "Gelignite" candles but they probably won't be happy about how short they burn or how noisy they are.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2015, 5:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I wonder if they will hold another candlelight vigil in the wake of this latest horrendous scare

I can supply some ICI Brand "Gelignite" candles but they probably won't be happy about how short they burn or how noisy they are.

:lol: good idea, that way "Stupid" gets thinned out at the same time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Jun 2015, 8:30 pm

Perhaps we should ask our kids to carry their toy guns in a gun bag or wrapped in a blanket when in public, and to store their toy guns secured by locking to part of the building in which it's kept, or in a locked cabinet constructed of hardwood or steel securely attached to the building, or in a locked steel safe attached to the building in which it's kept ( unless safe mass when empty is 150 kg or more ) or stored in a locked steel and concrete strong room.
And it should go without saying, to store their toy guns and gun sound affects separately.

we had toy guns as kids but they never left our property, at least not without a genuine reason like, heading to the range or going out hunting. Normally we would just play around the house shooting each other ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 11 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

Some very valid and funny points guys keep it up :P
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by trekin » 12 Jun 2015, 6:53 am

Can anyone tell me where this photo originated from?, who took it? or why?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 12 Jun 2015, 7:25 am

I'm sensing that you blokes just aren't taking this seriously and that in itself is disrespectful to the "alfresco latte sippers"and COULD be deeply hurtful for those more "sensitive" than us.......especially when you look at them out the sides of your eyes when you say it (Just be sure they actually see you looking at them like that as you offer your opinion).
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2015, 8:07 am

trekin wrote:Can anyone tell me where this photo originated from?, who took it? or why?

That's what I want to know too, there are a few diff media outlets that work out of buildings there (wouldn't surprise me if it was a staff member) :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by trekin » 12 Jun 2015, 10:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:
trekin wrote:Can anyone tell me where this photo originated from?, who took it? or why?

That's what I want to know too, there are a few diff media outlets that work out of buildings there (wouldn't surprise me if it was a staff member) :unknown:

Yeah, without knowing this, everything that is said is just conjecture. However, I'm personally leaning towards (until proven otherwise), that this was a statement of support for the terrorist Mad Man by a like minded extremist, who is too gutless to do something himself.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by adam » 12 Jun 2015, 3:04 pm

Out of interest, I just read the article...

“In this heightened terrorism environment, if someone sees what looks to be a real firearm, regardless of the age of the person carrying it, they’re going to have genuine concerns,”

Really? We have to change our laws yet again - because the public has given into terror - into terrorism instead of being level headed about it? This scaremongering is precisely what terrorism is about. Another point to terrorism.

“I think firstly we need education for parents and children and secondly, perhaps, very real-looking replica guns don’t need to be on the market,”

Personally I'd rather first put effort into education to combat the effects that terrorism has obviously already won over on our society - so a child with a toy doesn't alarm society and cause a media frenzy the way that it does now.

“When it comes to the regulation of firearms, community safety and security is the government’s No. 1 priority."

Regulation of firearms? Last time I checked it was a toy - not a firearm.

No wonder our countries broke and heading further into debt. People are dying because they can't get into hospitals in time, and this is where our time, money and resources are wasted into things like this.
Last edited by adam on 12 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

It just makes you shake your head when you read stupid things like that, now a toy guns a firearm apparently. :crazy:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm

“When it comes to the regulation of firearms, community safety and security is the government’s No. 1 priority."

When people talk about firearms and safety I like to point out our legally owned firearm numbers are the highest they have ever been while firearm crime is the lowest it has ever been, we reduced our firearm crime rates while increasing gun ownership rates therefore in Australia more guns equals less gun crime.

Dr Samara McPhedran has written about this subject
Is it true that the more legally owned guns there are in Australia,the more gun crime we will have?
The answer is resoundingly NO
For example,figures released by the NSW government show very clearly that although the number of firearm licence holders and legally owned guns has continued to grow,firearm misuse as well as firearm theft has continued to fall.
http://thebigsmoke.com.au/2014/10/20/au ... y-tells-us

NSW has the most gun crime mainly in south west Sydney.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 13 Jun 2015, 7:45 pm

Chronos wrote:As I see it it's nothing to do with the event itself, it's about the massive overreaction by both the media and the pitch fork carrying mob on social media.

Yes it's unfortunate, but the way people carry on about stuff like this is ridiculous.

And on and on and on....

Seen a dozen follow up articles and opinion pieces and "calls to action" :roll: on this still every day since it started.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 13 Jun 2015, 8:10 pm

Following this subject during the week and was listening to a radio replay this morning which detailed how an anonymous caller has experienced her father pulling a shotgun on her mother when she was a young girl and she went on about how that firearm ruined her life and caused her to be traumatized.. the fear tactics of the media these days seriously, maybe they should have focused on who was in possession of the firearm and how it was being used rather than blame whats basically a metal tube and wood. It's the nut holding the tube that makes all the difference
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 13 Jun 2015, 8:13 pm

AusTac wrote:Following this subject during the week and was listening to a radio replay this morning which detailed how an anonymous caller has experienced her father pulling a shotgun on her mother when she was a young girl and she went on about how that firearm ruined her life and caused her to be traumatized.. the fear tactics of the media these days seriously, maybe they should have focused on who was in possession of the firearm and how it was being used rather than blame whats basically a metal tube and wood. It's the nut holding the tube that makes all the difference

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 15 Jun 2015, 9:51 am

AusTac wrote:Following this subject during the week and was listening to a radio replay this morning which detailed how an anonymous caller has experienced her father pulling a shotgun on her mother when she was a young girl and she went on about how that firearm ruined her life and caused her to be traumatized.. the fear tactics of the media these days seriously, maybe they should have focused on who was in possession of the firearm and how it was being used rather than blame whats basically a metal tube and wood. It's the nut holding the tube that makes all the difference

+1

If he hadn't had the shotgun it would have been whatever else was handy.

A knife if they were in the kitchen, a hammer if they were in the garage etc.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics