Who Is old enough to remember?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Who Is old enough to remember?

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

Check this out. This will bring back memories, that is if you dont have Alzhiemers. :crazy: :?: :wtf:

https://youtu.be/nFb4IVLXDss
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 22 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm

Never interested in "Thunderbirds"....real girls were a different matter!
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 22 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm

So what's our next mission Mr.Tracey :mrgreen:
As far as the geriatric section goes ... I think we're in it :shock:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jul 2015, 10:14 am

anthillinside wrote:So what's our next mission Mr.Tracey :mrgreen:

We can have an entrance exam and membership cards in large bold raised print :D

Questions
1. Are you on "Face Book" ?
2. Who "Knows Nothing"?
3. Bart tenders name on "The Love Boat"?
4. Who is "Hotter" Ginger, Maryanne or Mrs Howell?
5. What's Kim Kardashian famous for?
6. How many cardigans in the wardrobe?
7. Last prostrate exam?
8. Number of prescription meds on the bedside table?
9. Pairs of glasses?
10. Nut Bra

Correct Answers
1. What's Face Book?
2. Sgt Shultz
3. Isaac
4. Mrs Howell cause at this age the other 2 would be young enough to be your daughters. (trick question) :)
5. WTF is she?
6. More then 3
7. Within the last 6 months
8. 4 or more
9. 3 or more
10. Own more then 1
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by XP22 » 23 Jul 2015, 10:32 am

I am 45, due to where we lived down the West Coast we didn't have television or a phone until I was 18, but I had been working away for two years by then. We had power at the dairy and at the house when the dairy generator was running or for special occaisons. I still went to school four days a week when able so didn't miss out on too much or did I really miss much at all? I just can't sit down for hours on end and watch all the drivel on TV and often think it is a poor substitute for real life.

The property is really only a weekender and a tax write off for us now and has stand alone solar but I still go down to the, now un-used, dairy and fire up the old Lister just to listen to the thump.

Those are my memories.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Noisydad » 23 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm

XP22 wrote:I am 45, due to where we lived down the West Coast we didn't have television or a phone until I was 18, but I had been working away for two years by then. We had power at the dairy and at the house when the dairy generator was running or for special occaisons. I still went to school four days a week when able so didn't miss out on too much or did I really miss much at all? I just can't sit down for hours on end and watch all the drivel on TV and often think it is a poor substitute for real life.

The property is really only a weekender and a tax write off for us now and has stand alone solar but I still go down to the, now un-used, dairy and fire up the old Lister just to listen to the thump.

Those are my memories.

The sound of a one lunger is as sweet as it gets...except maybe for a 2 cylinder John Deere I think but then I've been collecting them since I was 15. In fact I'll be starting up my '47 Johnny G model and '43 Farmall model H this arvo Becuase I need some shed space to do some work on my Landrover CV joints.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2015, 6:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:
anthillinside wrote:So what's our next mission Mr.Tracey :mrgreen:

Questions
2. Who "Knows Nothing"?
7. Last prostrate exam?
9. Pairs of glasses?
10. Nut Bra

Correct Answers
1. What's Face Book?
2. Sgt Shultz
3. Isaac
4. Mrs Howell cause at this age the other 2 would be young enough to be your daughters. (trick question) :)
5. WTF is she?
6. More then 3
7. Within the last 6 months
8. 4 or more
9. 3 or more
10. Own more then 1

Thanks Brett, it hasnt been a great week at work and you just made my day. Had a good belly laugh. :clap: :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2015, 6:32 pm

North East wrote:Never interested in "Thunderbirds"....real girls were a different matter!

sheesh, a dirty old man amoungst us
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

I'm not so old really, up till a few weeks back I thought I was 47. Had to put my D.O.B on something and realised I'm only 46 *woohoo* younger then I thought. I then realised its my birthday next week where I'll be back to being 47 which isn't fair cause I was 46 for only a couple months. Early senility setting in maybe, shame really cause I was hoping for Alzheimer's so I could watch all the old T.V shows as though it was the first time I'd seen them with the added bonus of being able to hide my own Easter Eggs. I'll have to stop in at Uncle Pete's Toys in Castle Hill tomorrow and see what new Lego they have so I can let my wife know what to buy me :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 24 Jul 2015, 12:02 am

Questions
Created an account, never posted anything and forgot user name and password [1]
2. Who "Knows Nothing"?
Sgt. Schultz. But he knew more than Col. Klink [1]
Whatsisname.. you know (and hope he other person knows because I’ve forgotten) [0]
Maryanne. (I fell for the trick) I still think I’m 22 and attractive. [0]
Keeping up with? (but I had to google that one) [1]
None (But only because I don’t buy my own clothes) [0]
7. Last prostrate exam?
Next month, I found a tiny asian proctologist (very small fingers :D ) [1]
3 damn missed by one [3/4]
9. Pairs of glasses?
5, reading, distance, watching TV, Bifocals that I can’t stand, old pair kept just in case [1]
10. Nut Bra
First thought Hernia truss. Don’t need one (yet) [0]

5 ¾ is that a pass?
Cmon you’ve got to make allowances for old age.
Can I join hu can I hu can I? awww go on let me join :friends:
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by XP22 » 24 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

Noisydad wrote:
XP22 wrote:I am 45, due to where we lived down the West Coast we didn't have television or a phone until I was 18, but I had been working away for two years by then. We had power at the dairy and at the house when the dairy generator was running or for special occaisons. I still went to school four days a week when able so didn't miss out on too much or did I really miss much at all? I just can't sit down for hours on end and watch all the drivel on TV and often think it is a poor substitute for real life.

Those are my memories.

The sound of a one lunger is as sweet as it gets...except maybe for a 2 cylinder John Deere I think but then I've been collecting them since I was 15. In fact I'll be starting up my '47 Johnny G model and '43 Farmall model H this arvo Becuase I need some shed space to do some work on my Landrover CV joints.

Yep, I am in the same boat, in the eighties part of my job was travelling around farms as a tradesman, especially dairies. As it was a point in time when they were mostly regarded as junk(my wife, father and brother still consider them junk) I acquired well over 100 various engines. Most for nothing except the time and labour to remove, many for a carton or two or twenty bucks, well over fifty ran without having anything more than a quick clean. I haven't really done much with them for the past ten years and they are spread out over three sheds but will get back into them eventually.
If nothing else they will make an an interesting headache for my kids when I pass on.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jul 2015, 11:51 am

Yep, I am in the same boat, in the eighties part of my job was travelling around farms as a tradesman, especially dairies. As it was a point in time when they were mostly regarded as junk(my wife, father and brother still consider them junk) I acquired well over 100 various engines. Most for nothing except the time and labour to remove, many for a carton or two or twenty bucks, well over fifty ran without having anything more than a quick clean. I haven't really done much with them for the past ten years and they are spread out over three sheds but will get back into them eventually.
If nothing else they will make an an interesting headache for my kids when I pass on.

My late uncle lived about 30km from Boggabri in N.W NSW and had a fully licensed mechanical workshop on the farm to keep him busy and make some extra money in tough farming times. He had a huge collection of old engines he had restored over the years, big old single cylinder's used for shearing plants or water pumps. As a young fella I was fascinated with how they worked and watching him make parts for them that couldn't be found. Most of them were museum pieces 40yrs ago with some of them over 100yrs old.
Pride of his collection was a 1913 Thornycroft Truck that was built in England, disassembled and shipped to Australia in crates. Not sure how it found it's way onto the farm but he spent 5 years fully restoring it to better then showroom condition, making many parts himself from rough sketches, drawings or old photos, no internet in those days so finding any information involved letters to automotive museums in the U.K. Another weird one I remember was a very old bulldozer similar to those used in the pacific during WWII by the marines to build airstrips. Was a longitudinally mounted single cylinder diesel with a massive flywheel either side of where you sat. Starting involved unscrewing a plug in the head, rolling up and lighting some touchpaper of if not available a lit cigarette then screwing it back in then running round to the side and screwing a blank 12Ga shell into a holder and hitting a pin with a hammer. The charge kicked the engine over and the touchpaper acted as the glowplug and surprisingly for a piece of ancient engineering it started first shot 8/10 times and ran like a charm. Had a unique exhaust note that I've never heard since...
His son / My cousin now has the farm and I still visit 3-5 times a year and push the old bugger to go out shooting but usually go with his 21yr old son. Happy days in time long gone....
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 24 Jul 2015, 12:07 pm

I love the old hit-and-miss's and the big old diesels that seemto run on just about anything.
And they're still around and going strong thanks to people like yoruselves.
I wonder is anything made in 2015 will still be running in 2115?
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 24 Jul 2015, 12:55 pm

Brett if that dozer was cartridge start it would've been a Field Marshall most likely. Bulldogs were also single,horizontal cylinders and were mostly blow lamp start though later ones were electric start.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 27 Jul 2015, 9:32 am

anthillinside wrote:I wonder is anything made in 2015 will still be running in 2115?

Some will of course.

But in terms of a percentage I have no doubt it will be a lot less compared to older quality stuff.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 28 Jul 2015, 12:56 am

Seconds wrote:
anthillinside wrote:I wonder is anything made in 2015 will still be running in 2115?

Some will of course.

But in terms of a percentage I have no doubt it will be a lot less compared to older quality stuff.

Yeah probably.
But can you see ani Pad thats been left out in a field for 50 years being restored and running :sarcasm:
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 28 Jul 2015, 5:17 am

Old enough to be aware of it? Yeah. Old enough to remember it? Not really.

I didn't know Aussies got that old. I always figured you were eaten or envenomated by something (or someone) before you reached your 40s :)

;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 28 Jul 2015, 7:30 am

Title_II wrote:Old enough to be aware of it? Yeah. Old enough to remember it? Not really.

I didn't know Aussies got that old. I always figured you were eaten or envenomated by something (or someone) before you reached your 40s :)

;)

We're bred tough down here, dodging snakes, avoiding drop bears and punching out Great White's is just part of everyday life down under. :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 28 Jul 2015, 11:12 am

brett1868 wrote:
Title_II wrote:Old enough to be aware of it? Yeah. Old enough to remember it? Not really.

;)

We're bred tough down here, dodging snakes, avoiding drop bears and punching out Great White's is just part of everyday life down under. :lol:

Mate, I want to come down there :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 28 Jul 2015, 11:23 am

Mate, I want to come down there :)

You'll need to prove your manliness by wrestling a Sting Ray, Fighting a drop bear and probably the toughest of all challenges.....Eating a Vegemite sandwich washed down with XXXX with out chundering. If you can do that, you're 4 times the man I am and welcome to stay at my place :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 28 Jul 2015, 11:41 am

Title_II wrote:I didn't know Aussies got that old. I always figured you were eaten or envenomated by something (or someone) before you reached your 40s :)

You just have to breed faster than you get eaten.

We give it a go :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 28 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

Harper wrote:
Title_II wrote:I didn't know Aussies got that old. I always figured you were eaten or envenomated by something (or someone) before you reached your 40s :)

You just have to breed faster than you get eaten.

We give it a go :lol:

That may be an advantage where you live but it seems to be quite a liability around these parts :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics