More and more nonsense

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

More and more nonsense

Post by bluerob » 03 Aug 2015, 8:04 am

Looks as though "The Greens" think that you city folk have too may firearms :sarcasm:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gun-ownership ... inwzw.html

I own about 35 fishing rods and I'd hate to think of how many lures.

Then when I played golf, had about 3-4 sets (I was good and won some, other times, bought them).

So when I got into shooting, I worked out that I couldn't shoot big bore target with my slug gun.

Then I worked out that dealing with wild pigs a .22 was also somewhat useless, unless I snuck right up to them.

This is getting outrageous.

Notice how this newspaper hasn't allowed for any comments?

Maybe a few of us should write to the journo concerned and discuss that we aren't lunatics?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: More and more nonsense

Post by Title_II » 03 Aug 2015, 8:55 am

"Many people will be quite rightly shocked to find there are many hundreds if not thousands of guns in their suburb," Mr Shoebridge said.

LOL :D Mr. Shoebridge should come to one of my Barbecues.

I have a funny story by one of my personal friends that describes what would happen. It will take about 20 minutes or more to read it and get the point, because you have to read almost all of it to get it. The first several pages are not enough.

But if you want to see what would happen if Mr. Shoebridge ran into my friends, click this link:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=191382

:)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 03 Aug 2015, 9:31 am

I wonder if Shoebridge is taking comments on his website.

http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/08/0 ... -the-state
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 03 Aug 2015, 10:42 am

like comments about using 1080 to torture and slowly kill native marsupials and Wedge Tailed Eagles etc?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by David Brown » 03 Aug 2015, 11:26 am

Notice how this newspaper hasn't allowed for any comments?

That is ALWAYS the case, not just here but in the USA as well. I think the reason is they will get inundated with corrections to their inaccurate stories.

Maybe a few of us should write to the journo concerned and discuss that we aren't lunatics?

yes we should, but please remember, Keep it factual, keep it unemotional, do not slag greenies or anyone else and keep it polite. That way there is no possible chance you can be written off as yet another example of proof that we are all gun slinging cowboys and rednecks.

Go for it! :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 03 Aug 2015, 12:09 pm

I have just posted this on the SMH Facebook page and on Mr Shoebridges website;

This article is very interesting indeed.

Should I ask you to consider the ratio of pairs of shoes per person? Number of fishing rod/reels per person, maybe motorcars or motorcycles and bicycles. Has there been an increase in these in the last 20 years or so?

The increase of firearms and you may have seen the SMH article showing large increases in affluent areas seems to be of concern to you, yet perhaps there is a growing appreciation for fine pieces of art in terms of Shotguns for those who do clay target sports? The exchange rate has been favourable in recent years and these fine pieces of machinery and art have become far more affordable.

It might horrify you to know in my house alone we have had a 600% increase in registered firearms this year. And with my wife taking up clay target shooting this number is sure to grow by at least 3 or 4 more. Not to mention a pistol or two later this year.

So the question has to be asked, what on earth do two professionals, (engineers and in engineering for a leading global company and I own and run a successful engineering firm) would want with so many guns living in a major capital city? More the point does my escalation in firearm ownership have anything to do with crime?

Would it surprise you to know that I could have another 100,00 guns and the crime risk would rise dramatically from ZERO to exactly ZERO. Mind you if you were over for a BBQ and we were attacked by a gang of anti greens bikers we might have a chance of defending ourselves might we not? After we unlocked safes etc. I am sure you would talk them out of harming you before I could unlock them anyway.

So back to being serious for a minute, I and about 1 million others, and possibly several million more who are not firearm owners take offence that you can try to link good honest people with a fear of crime escalation just on the basis of the increase in known registered firearms to licensed owners. It really is offensive. If you made similar public statements of equally offensive natures about gay/lesbian people or those of dark skin, there would be hell to pay. I find this equally as offensive.

What you really need to focus on is CRIME and CRIMINALS, do not fear the law abiding firearm owners. They are no more threat to you and anyone else as my wife and I are. What you should be scared of is the fact that Customs can't seem to prevent criminals importing firearms that are not able to be readily purchased, you should be focussing on the drug dealers and users and the ICE epidemic. There is nothing scarier than an ICE addict going crazy with a kitchen knife or cricket bat, or a length of chain……..perhaps these need banning instead. Because they are far more readily available weapons for those criminal sorts to have on hand.

And just so you can have an insight into why you have more than one, it is like kitchen utensils, fishing gear, screwdrivers in your tool box……they all have a slightly different purpose and application. A .22LR rifle is for training and paper targets, a .223 is more suited to foxes/kangaroo/ feral dogs, .308 for pigs, larger sizes for buffalo or other large game/pests. Using a .22 on a feral pig just makes them mad, and they may well chase you down and kill you.

I strongly urge you to contact me, come and get some education, from someone who knows the facts, has the data and whats more can give you hands on experience so you will learn you have nothing to fear from the good guys.

By the way, while this is an American association, the NRA have a great set of video's, please take the time to watch, and you will get a better image of what gun owners are really like. Some great men, women, children…..family. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SBMfe08u-K

All the best,

Regards

David Brown

And it will be interesting to see what moderation it receives from them if in fact it gets public. It would be good if you guys keep them honest, and if it does not appear ask them why my post has not been made public.

David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 03 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm

David Brown wrote:I have just posted this on the SMH Facebook page and on Mr Shoebridges website;

This article is very interesting indeed.

Should I ask you to consider the ratio of pairs of shoes per person? Number of fishing rod/reels per person, maybe motorcars or motorcycles and bicycles. Has there been an increase in these in the last 20 years or so?

The increase of firearms and you may have seen the SMH article showing large increases in affluent areas seems to be of concern to you, yet perhaps there is a growing appreciation for fine pieces of art in terms of Shotguns for those who do clay target sports? The exchange rate has been favourable in recent years and these fine pieces of machinery and art have become far more affordable.

It might horrify you to know in my house alone we have had a 600% increase in registered firearms this year. And with my wife taking up clay target shooting this number is sure to grow by at least 3 or 4 more. Not to mention a pistol or two later this year.

So the question has to be asked, what on earth do two professionals, (engineers and in engineering for a leading global company and I own and run a successful engineering firm) would want with so many guns living in a major capital city? More the point does my escalation in firearm ownership have anything to do with crime?

Would it surprise you to know that I could have another 100,00 guns and the crime risk would rise dramatically from ZERO to exactly ZERO. Mind you if you were over for a BBQ and we were attacked by a gang of anti greens bikers we might have a chance of defending ourselves might we not? After we unlocked safes etc. I am sure you would talk them out of harming you before I could unlock them anyway.

So back to being serious for a minute, I and about 1 million others, and possibly several million more who are not firearm owners take offence that you can try to link good honest people with a fear of crime escalation just on the basis of the increase in known registered firearms to licensed owners. It really is offensive. If you made similar public statements of equally offensive natures about gay/lesbian people or those of dark skin, there would be hell to pay. I find this equally as offensive.

What you really need to focus on is CRIME and CRIMINALS, do not fear the law abiding firearm owners. They are no more threat to you and anyone else as my wife and I are. What you should be scared of is the fact that Customs can't seem to prevent criminals importing firearms that are not able to be readily purchased, you should be focussing on the drug dealers and users and the ICE epidemic. There is nothing scarier than an ICE addict going crazy with a kitchen knife or cricket bat, or a length of chain……..perhaps these need banning instead. Because they are far more readily available weapons for those criminal sorts to have on hand.

And just so you can have an insight into why you have more than one, it is like kitchen utensils, fishing gear, screwdrivers in your tool box……they all have a slightly different purpose and application. A .22LR rifle is for training and paper targets, a .223 is more suited to foxes/kangaroo/ feral dogs, .308 for pigs, larger sizes for buffalo or other large game/pests. Using a .22 on a feral pig just makes them mad, and they may well chase you down and kill you.

I strongly urge you to contact me, come and get some education, from someone who knows the facts, has the data and whats more can give you hands on experience so you will learn you have nothing to fear from the good guys.

By the way, while this is an American association, the NRA have a great set of video's, please take the time to watch, and you will get a better image of what gun owners are really like. Some great men, women, children…..family. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SBMfe08u-K

All the best,

Regards

David Brown

And it will be interesting to see what moderation it receives from them if in fact it gets public. It would be good if you guys keep them honest, and if it does not appear ask them why my post has not been made public.

Great letter David and as you point out, your response/message hadn't appeared on Mr Shoebridge's website as of 1240pm.

Your point about being polite and not aggressive is a valid point. Extreme frustration can lead to this (it's what they are waiting for to say "see, told yers all these people are aggressive lunatics").

I bet a certain LGS is happy to be located in the "affluent areas." :sarcasm: - they are a good shop, just wish I had the coin to spend on those in the glass cabinets :thumbsdown:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 03 Aug 2015, 2:27 pm

Giiday Rob, thanks for the compliments. Yes it is now 2.24pm and it has not been released.

Can I suggest that you take a few minutes to write something also, just for the heck of it, plus anyone else reading tis, and see if it gets posted.

Then if it does not we should go to the SMH or somewhere and stick it to them (politely).

I am sick of the one way traffic, I really am, but the best revenge is done with a smile on ones face. :-)

As for the LGS you refer to…..I would like to visit but I fear my AMEX and VISA cards would have a seizure if I went in……and they have large limits on them too :-0 There are some nice pieces of artwork to be had. Some even take a 12G cartridge.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 03 Aug 2015, 3:58 pm

yeah stay calm and assert yourself politely ^_^
doing great guys. we will win this information war!
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 03 Aug 2015, 4:38 pm

Will someone who does twitter please go to Mr Shoebridges page http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/08/0 ... the-state/

Ask why the comments that were posted have not been released. Seems he is tweeting quite a lot but can't get around to releasing mt post.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

David Brown wrote:Will someone who does twitter please go to Mr Shoebridges page http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/08/0 ... the-state/

Ask why the comments that were posted have not been released. Seems he is tweeting quite a lot but can't get around to releasing mt post.

Its just bad sport that he doesn't want to release any comments on it, probably because he knows that he is wrong, yet still tries to make it out like he's right by closing the door on the truth :thumbsdown:

If I had twitter, I would help you out, but I'm not really a social media person, I bet there are plenty of others here with twitter, right?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Pennsylvania Yank » 03 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm

Number registered in

2001- 619,000

2015- 850,000+

LOL...When these leftist nanny-state loons pass gun laws, or most any law for that matter, they are either shocked and dismayed when the end result is the exact opposite(utterly predictable) of their desired intent, or they ignore the results and trumpet their own set of inaccurate, incomplete or misleading statistics to support their decision.
Pennsylvania Yank
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 04 Aug 2015, 12:02 am

Funny as bro!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 04 Aug 2015, 8:28 am

Still no comments on Mr Shoebridge's website.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 04 Aug 2015, 10:09 am

Nice work, David :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 04 Aug 2015, 10:56 am

Thanks!

Apparently my posting has been released. Will probably be ignored though.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 04 Aug 2015, 11:35 am

Or until a different mod see's it and decide to remove it :roll:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bluerob » 04 Aug 2015, 12:32 pm

David Brown wrote:Will someone who does twitter please go to Mr Shoebridges page http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/08/0 ... the-state/

He just replied to me saying that they had?

Must be something wrong with computer because as of 9am, there were no comments.

Off to see Mr Shoebridge and communicate my concerns with his attitude to us (in a polite manner, I hasten to add).

"Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye...."
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 04 Aug 2015, 1:10 pm

Great….best to do it face to face. You may never completely change their mind, but you may get them backed off a bit.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm

It is there now. There were a couple of "well done" and "you're great" type messages of thanks and nice polite replies from him to begin with, and then several well written and factual replies pointing out the fundamental flaws to his argument.

These don't have responses yet...

Edit: came across a little more derogatory than intended, so adjusted slightly
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

I keep getting timed out so cannot post on Shoebridges page, this computer drops out with 8.1 might upgrade to 10.

I see he is still pushing the AIC study on theft which did not include illegal importation which was debunked in the senate inquiry.
Thread on that topic here- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4536
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 04 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm

Type your response in another programme and then copy paste and submit. :-)

I could view it with SAFARI and IE.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 11 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

Baronvonrort wrote:I keep getting timed out so cannot post on Shoebridges page

Can only be a good thing if people can't read his website :lol:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 11 Aug 2015, 11:22 am

[quote][/quote]Many people will be quite rightly shocked to find there are many hundreds if not thousands of guns in their suburb," Mr Shoebridge said.

And it is none of their business if they are not LAFOs

Baz
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 11 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

Bazooker wrote:
Many people will be quite rightly shocked to find there are many hundreds if not thousands of guns in their suburb," Mr Shoebridge said.

And it is none of their business if they are not LAFOs

Baz

I find it amazing the number of firearms now being owned by law-abiding citizens great, they all had to go through the licensing nonsense, safety courses, got safes, got a club they go to, its a GOOD thing that these people have decided to do so. :clap:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm

bluerob wrote:Still no comments on Mr Shoebridge's website.

And tbe media constantly spruks " freedom of the press". Just looks like hypocracy to me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 11 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bluerob wrote:Still no comments on Mr Shoebridge's website.

And tbe media constantly spruks " freedom of the press". Just looks like hypocracy to me.

Yeah yeah, the press gets to put out whatever they bloody well feel like and try to mix people up with their statements, but if someone else states facts that contradict them, they get all butthurt and complain over it. Simply, if they don't like it when someone contradicts them or does the same thing as them, they can simply bugger off. They can post it on their statuses, side-bars, websites, newspapers and whatever, no matter how much they gossip, facts WILL remain facts.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm

Media is constantly spruking "freedom of the press" Sounds like hypocracy to me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 11 Aug 2015, 10:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Media is constantly spruking "freedom of the press" Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

Doesn't just look like or sounds like it. What it is, is simply hypocrisy.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Seconds » 13 Aug 2015, 1:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Media is constantly spruking "freedom of the press" Sounds like hypocracy to me.

Freedom to push their agenda and spin anything against it more like.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics