'Assault Weapons'

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

'Assault Weapons'

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 1:55 pm

Hey everyone, regarding the attacks on the Adler for being 'rapid fire' and high powered, it also brought up another term that I have heard of the media plenty of times before: ''Assault weapons'

I know its a political term used to describe firearms that anti-gunners want banned by law, but regarding 'Assault' weapons, does anyone really think the adler could ever classify as one? I mean come on, it looks like another shotgun, wood and steel, with no pistol grip and instead a plain hunting-style stock. I kinda fail to see how its an ''assault weapon'

So on the topic of 'Assault Weapons', what do you think about it? A good try to be factually correct or just a really bad political term?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: 'Assault Weapons'

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm

I though an assault wepon was a fully automatic firearm capable of burst fire / rapid fire ?

I don't like the term "wepon" used to describe firearm’s that are used for target shooting and hunting, we dornd call out kitchen knives wepons.

I beleve its all part of a greater plan. Have them labled by the masses as wepons, tools of mass destruction, evil death machines and the masses will be less accepting of lafo's owning them therefore happier to see then banned.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I though an assault wepon was a fully automatic firearm capable of burst fire / rapid fire ?

I don't like the term "wepon" used to describe firearm’s that are used for target shooting and hunting, we dornd call out kitchen knives wepons.

I beleve its all part of a greater plan. Have them labled by the masses as wepons, tools of mass destruction, evil death machines and the masses will be less accepting of lafo's owning them therefore happier to see then banned.

Technically in the case of automatic fire, any of those guns that can attain automatic fire is called a machine gun. Assault weapons are just a term used to demonise guns like the AR-15 for its tacticool look, supposingly making it more powerful and dangerous.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 05 Aug 2015, 3:03 pm

Using their logic John Wayne used "Assault Weapons" against the Indians who were also brandishing "Assault Weapons". Adler if anything looks old fashioned compared to almost every other non lever action firearm in the Australian market. Point the greenies towards Jerry Miculek https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Miculek and they'll be calling for the ban of all firearms because apparently a seasoned professional can shoot like that means we all can and that scares them more then the truth. Just because the guy in the Adler promo can shoot so fast doesn't mean we all can.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2015, 3:25 pm

Thanks for reminding me of the most ridiculous law ever " military appearance "

WTF is wrong with the world!

Anyone would think we are trying to import these ...
FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg
FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm

An assault weapon is anything the police deem an assault rifle.... apparently....

But by definition an AW would resemble the original example being the STG44 aka sturngewehr literally 'assault rifle'

gotta love the STG....

effectively an AW is a more compact (thought STG was a lug) moderate powered (more than pistol, less than full noise rifle cartridges), high rate of fire. Designed for 'storming' positions and various <<insert military jargon here , CQ etc etc >>etc.....

A semi auto anything, whether AR15, garand etc is not an AW,
an auto M1 Carb, perhaps,
a lever or pump action anything, obviously not!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm

brett1868 wrote:Using their logic John Wayne used "Assault Weapons" against the Indians who were also brandishing "Assault Weapons". Adler if anything looks old fashioned compared to almost every other non lever action firearm in the Australian market. Point the greenies towards Jerry Miculek https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Miculek and they'll be calling for the ban of all firearms because apparently a seasoned professional can shoot like that means we all can and that scares them more then the truth. Just because the guy in the Adler promo can shoot so fast doesn't mean we all can.

Jerry Miculek is one of the best shooters of all time IMO, and he shoots quick because he's practised (and a has a lot bigger budget for shooting than some of us).

Aside from that, another one my favourite shooters is Hickok45. Check him out on youtube if you haven't, he's practically my go-to person for firearm videos.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 6:25 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Thanks for reminding me of the most ridiculous law ever " military appearance "

FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg

Nah, now if it were black THEN it would be an assault weapon.

Also, wheres the pistol grip and folding stock, you know assault weapons have gotta have those :sarcasm:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm

I've got a heap of deadly assault weapons in the knife block in the kitchen :lol: \

The words "Assault Weapons" is used to instill fear in the ignorant who think we have access to military firearms, which of course we don't but that doesn't stop the anti firearms movement from using it to scare the s**t out of stupid people. :unknown:

Anything from a air rifle to a shotgun has become an "Assault Weapon" these days :crazy: lying sacks of s**t the lot of em, I'd love to be around when the penny drops as to why all this constant attacks on civilian ownership of firearms is finally revealed, I'll bet they wished they'd have been smart enough to realise what the real agenda is.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm

Bigfellascott,

What I don't understand is, why they are so scared over responsible people using firearms responsibly, to me it has never made any sense in that matter.

Its more a point of trying to disarm the public than anything else.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2015, 10:15 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Bigfellascott,

What I don't understand is, why they are so scared over responsible people using firearms responsibly, to me it has never made any sense in that matter.

Its more a point of trying to disarm the public than anything else.

They aren't scared mate, that's just one of dozens of reasons they keep pushing out there to muddy the waters, I'll bet you'll find most of these anti gunners are vegans and animal rights types who will use any and every excuse to make firearms ownership look bad and they will happily sing along to the same hymn sheet as the UN who have been working since the 1960's to slowly but surely control civilian firearms ownership.

History shows you that all those countries where civilian firearms ownership was banned were soon turned on by their governments - that's the lesson people in this country haven't had to learn as yet, but one day they may just get a front row seat in that particular lesson who knows, lets hope not but lets not let them have the chance either. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bluerob » 06 Aug 2015, 6:17 am

I encourage guys in my club and others at the range to use the word "firearms." Yeah, I know, but.....

The question that needs answering as bigfellascott has pointed out (in a round about way - no disrespect) is why is the government wanting to disarm the public??
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Aug 2015, 7:25 am

bluerob wrote:I encourage guys in my club and others at the range to use the word "firearms." Yeah, I know, but.....

The question that needs answering as bigfellascott has pointed out (in a round about way - no disrespect) is why is the government wanting to disarm the public??

The real question is who are these people who are wanting to control the world and disarm it's civilians and why are they so intent on making it happen, what's their agenda that requires civilians to be disarmed?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Aug 2015, 9:02 am

you just answered the question yourself....they want to control the world, more so, all the resources whether in the ground, above the ground and of course human (all corporations have HR departments now dont forget)....

Apart from the massive disarmament movement they generate and feed, most of these guys are firm AND vocal depopulation advocates.....

but they cant do this until all the civilians, including 'unsympathetic' governments, those who might object to the complete global tyrannical control - are disarmed.

Who are they? well 'they' just had 'their' representatives meet in Austria 2 months ago for their annual 'what is our message to the governments this year' love-in...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 06 Aug 2015, 12:26 pm

"Assault Rifle" is a compact select fire rifle firing an intermediate caliber cartridge.

"Assault Weapon" is whatever the media or the politicians want it to be, as it is not a technical term. It is only a term of art insomuch as laws have been passed calling certain firearms "Assault Weapons" and naming or describing their qualities under arbitrary and wildly varying standards. The phrase is generally used to refer to semiautomatic weapons and not select fire or fully automatic weapons. But you could use it to describe a single shot .22, since it is not a technical term.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 06 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:An assault weapon is anything the police deem an assault rifle.... apparently....

But by definition an AW would resemble the original example being the STG44 aka sturngewehr literally 'assault rifle'

gotta love the STG....

effectively an AW is a more compact (thought STG was a lug) moderate powered (more than pistol, less than full noise rifle cartridges), high rate of fire. Designed for 'storming' positions and various <<insert military jargon here , CQ etc etc >>etc.....

A semi auto anything, whether AR15, garand etc is not an AW,
an auto M1 Carb, perhaps,
a lever or pump action anything, obviously not!

You are actually describing "Assault Rifles."

The political term "Assault Weapon" generally refers strictly to semi-auto firearms, such as modern AR-15s.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Thanks for reminding me of the most ridiculous law ever " military appearance "

FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg

Also, wheres the pistol grip and folding stock, you know assault weapons have gotta have those :sarcasm:

Yes the old military appearance idiocy,they ban rifles like the Colt M2012 because of that yet allow Accuracy International who make military sinper rifles,i don't think i have seen a black AI plenty of FDE and OD,perhaps they have to be black.

Put one of these chassis on your bolt action and some think you have an assault rifle.
I like the MDT LSS
http://mdttac.ca

Has anyone noticed the media using sniper rifle for anything bigger than a 22 with a scope?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Aug 2015, 4:26 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg

Yes the old military appearance idiocy,they ban rifles like the Colt M2012 because of that yet allow Accuracy International who make military sinper rifles,i don't think i have seen a black AI plenty of FDE and OD,perhaps they have to be black.

Put one of these chassis on your bolt action and some think you have an assault rifle.
I like the MDT LSS
http://mdttac.ca
Once you go black you will never go back is applicable to rifles.

Has anyone noticed the media using sniper rifle for anything bigger than a 22 with a scope?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Aug 2015, 1:48 am

FB_IMG_1438753120126.jpg

There are only 6 of those available for unlicensed ownership in the US. When they come up for sale they run $200K to $280K. Funny thing is, brand new ones run almost that much.

I've always said there is a natural price limit on transferrable MGs in the US. Too many people who have enough money to throw around for a $4K this, $60K that, and a couple $18K this and thats start thinking, "What the heck am I doing? I should just get a dealer's license and then I can have it all."
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Vati » 12 Aug 2015, 10:01 am

Heckler303 wrote:What I don't understand is, why they are so scared over responsible people using firearms responsibly, to me it has never made any sense in that matter.

They don't understand. That's exactly the problem.

The see a gun and think oh s**t, I'm scared of that. Instead of learning anything about firearms they try to ban them.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics