Do LAFOs actually commit crimes?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Do LAFOs actually commit crimes?

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Sep 2015, 6:32 pm

Hey everybody.

Just curious regarding if LAFOs have actually committed crimes in Australia after going through the months of crap to finally acquire their firearms. Has any one of them even shoplifted or been caught in public with knife, loaded gun, e.t.c. I know the results will be scarce and really low, but just want to know the real facts for educating people.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Do LAFOs actually commit crimes?

Post by anthillinside » 06 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

LAFO’s are as fallible as anyone else so I guess it’s got to happen.
But interestingly I cannot remember any crime report saying anything about xxxxx a firearms owner or the like, and I’d bet my last primer that it would be mentioned, just look at the Sydney Lindt cafe incident.
Abbot tying us in with that moron, then never retracting or apologising for the totally false statements he made.

So I might as well make up some rubbery figures and say:
LAFO’s are under represented in crime figures by (insert number here)%
If you own a firearms license you are (xxx)% less likely to commit a crime (or suffer from chronic neck pain)
Last edited by anthillinside on 06 Sep 2015, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 06 Sep 2015, 9:02 pm

Lafos in general are apparently 15% less likely to commit crime. I reckon that is a conservative figure though...I believe it's more around the 50% mark ;]
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 06 Sep 2015, 9:03 pm

i will tell you now it is in there best interest to leave me alone with a license

and not to take it from me for absolutely no reason it is the only thin that keeps

me in line . :lol: :lol: :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 06 Sep 2015, 9:23 pm

^^^ Down boy, heel, keep that choke chain tight :lol: :lol:

I wonder just how many of us use pulling a trigger as stress relief.
And what would happen if they let us off the chain... .50 cals all round? full auto anyone? :D
OMFG Carry for self defence ... The crims would really have something to FEAR!
Last edited by anthillinside on 06 Sep 2015, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Sep 2015, 9:24 pm

You can lose your firearm licence for a good behaviour bond with no conviction recorded, I reckon the vast majority are law abiding
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 06 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm

I reckon most of us keep our noses clean because we're inherently good people but I'm sure thinking about the possibility of losing everything in the gunsafe will help rein in any unlawful behaviour.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

I definitely keep the thought in the back of my mind to be a good boy , I would be extremely pissed off If I had my safe cleaned out and my license stripped from me.

I think the true answer to the question " do lafo's commit crimes? " is a big fat NO
Because if a lafo was to commit a crime, he or she wouldn't be a lafo would they.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by aaronjo » 06 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm

Until some hardened criminal off his face on the current illicit substance of the month decides to break into your home, threatening the safety of your family and you know that you're not supposed to access your firearm to defend yourself, what then?
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by anthillinside » 07 Sep 2015, 12:12 am

Kitchen knife, broom handle, baseball bat what ever is at hand.
Storage requirements make it pretty certain you won't have time to "arm yourself properly"
If you do, good luck to you, you do the needful, others that folow will judge.
I think most of us would "die" for our family, who thinks about "what then" when the threat is "here and now"
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Sep 2015, 12:31 am

aaronjo wrote:Until some hardened criminal off his face on the current illicit substance of the month decides to break into your home, threatening the safety of your family and you know that you're not supposed to access your firearm to defend yourself, what then?

What then you ask ...
I'll reach down his throat and tear his blody heart out, press his eyes in and pin his ears to his a$$hole !
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pajamatime » 07 Sep 2015, 1:15 am

Worst case scenario emergency response strategy in place not only to protect my families lives but to also to protect my firearms falling into the wrong hands, because let's face it if they manage to get by me and put a gun or knife 2 my families throat and force me to give up my guns for their lives then they may 1. Kill us all anyway and 2. I would have also failed to use the powers afforded to me to stop those firearms getting into the wrong hands to begin with which with in reason given the circumstances should allow me to in effect use them to protect them from being stolen which would also include protecting my family from being used as a method of coercion into surrendering them in the first place. Lol very reasonable.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 07 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

anthillinside wrote:LAFO’s are under represented in crime figures by (insert number here)%
If you own a firearms license you are (xxx)% less likely to commit a crime (or suffer from chronic neck pain)

I don't have any figures either but I'm sure that theory would be right.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Sep 2015, 10:15 am

aaronjo wrote:Until some hardened criminal off his face on the current illicit substance of the month decides to break into your home, threatening the safety of your family and you know that you're not supposed to access your firearm to defend yourself, what then?

The self defence laws in NSW give some leeway on breaking the law when defending yourself.
Crimes act 1900 sect 418

418 Self defence when available
1.A person is not criminally responsible for an offence if the person carries out the conduct constituting the offence in self defence.
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw ... /s418.html

In my opinion it's ok to take a gun out of your safe for self defence in your home in NSW.

I would argue the crimes act 1900 sect 418 allows this and considering you can be charged with fail to prevent the loss or theft of a firearm you have an obligation to prevent your firearms being stolen.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 07 Sep 2015, 11:19 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 11:21 am

happyhunter wrote:Spotlighting off roads, poaching, tresspass, breaching the firearms act, and illegal shooting of native wildlife might be some of the crimes committed by a percentage of licenced gun owners.

Sure, its possible for them to do that sort of thing, but most of the time they don't realise that they would be breaking a law by doing so.

My main question was have any of the 800,000 LAFOs use their firearm to go on rampages, shootings, e.t.c for the past 20 years? I keep finding zilch results on that one.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 07 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

Aaaah......... Monash Uni ring any bells?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 11:45 am

deye243 wrote:i will tell you now it is in there best interest to leave me alone with a license

and not to take it from me for absolutely no reason it is the only thin that keeps

I have a friend that I have known for many years. Most decent, honorable, responsible person I've ever met. I've seen him under stress and under threat and he has the demeanor of a Lt. Col.

A few years ago he said to, me, "Well, you didn't know me before I started carrying."

Apparently he was a real bruiser and took no sh**. I was stunned to learn this. He still takes no Sh**, but does it civilly now. He told me that once he started carrying he realized those days were over. And within a year or so he grew up and put away childish things.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 07 Sep 2015, 11:46 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

So in all seriousness, we're back to where we were before: LAFO's just about never use their firearms in violent crime. Wow, if only any anti-gunner could realise a fact we've known for decades.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Spotlighting off roads, poaching, tresspass, breaching the firearms act, and illegal shooting of native wildlife might be some of the crimes committed by a percentage of licenced gun owners.

Sure, its possible for them to do that sort of thing, but most of the time they don't realise that they would be breaking a law by doing so.

My main question was have any of the 800,000 LAFOs use their firearm to go on rampages, shootings, e.t.c for the past 20 years? I keep finding zilch results on that one.

Unfortunately, there are a few around that still act the cowboy with a firearm. Trespass with a firearm is an extremely serious offense. As with all laws, if you are too ignorant to know you are breaking the law it is your own fault. Ignorance is no excuse in the law.

So, licensed firearms owners can, have and will break laws but as others say, retaining the licence is a motivator to keep in line, like, not dropping some wanker who is throwing insults at you or generally acting a dick.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 07 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

Title_II wrote:
deye243 wrote:i will tell you now it is in there best interest to leave me alone with a license

I have a friend that I have known for many years. Most decent, honorable, responsible person I've ever met. I've seen him under stress and under threat and he has the demeanor of a Lt. Col.

A few years ago he said to, me, "Well, you didn't know me before I started carrying."

Apparently he was a real bruiser and took no sh**. I was stunned to learn this. He still takes no Sh**, but does it civilly now. He told me that once he started carrying he realized those days were over. And within a year or so he grew up and put away childish things.

thats it , take away my way of life (it's not a bloody hobbie) and i have nothing to lose .....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 08 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Title_II wrote:He still takes no Sh**, but does it civilly now.

Civilly hey.

Is that carrying a glove around and instead of clocking someone says "Sir, I demand satisfaction" *slap*. They they have a gentlemen's duel of fisticuffs.

Civil like? :lol: :mrgreen: :friends:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

I found this data from 2007-2008

Page 14 on document-

Cause of death in homicide incidents-

Stab wounds- 114 victims
Beatings -64 victims
Gunshot wounds- 30 victims
Strangulation/suffocation-18 victims
Other eg hit by car- 13 victims

Page 31
Conclusion-
*firearm involvement in homicide increased slightly (12%,up from 9% in previous year),however firearm involvement still remains at an historical low.
The majority of firearms used in homicides were unregistered and/or unlicensed
http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/pub ... 3/mr13.pdf

If the majority of firearm homicides were done by people without a firearm license that would put firearm homicides at less than 15 per year from licensed firearm owners.

Not sure if this link is worthy of Bentaz's links thread
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 09 Sep 2015, 9:04 pm

The number I have herd from reliable sources, Samara I think it was, was that the chances are 30%, so more than two thirds less.

Bit like pilots, they generally are responsible because failure is not forgiving, and its a precise activity. The average bunny is not welcome nor is the barrier to entry low. And we have a lot to loose.

All adds up to the fact we are the complete model citizens actually.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by adam » 10 Sep 2015, 9:24 am

Finally - it makes sense why the greens are against firearms. Because of their previous conviction history smoking too much stuff, or their mental illnesses - they're not allowed to have guns, and they're jealous so they don't want us to have guns either. ;-)

Being serious however - LAFO's would naturally be more law abiding than others - simply because if you have a history you're going to have a tough time getting a license, and as others have said if you play up you lose it.

Just another nail in the coffin for those who like to attack LAFO's as being the bad eggs / dangerous people in society.

It's the non licensed people that have acquired firearms we need to be worried about - and no law is going to affect them simply because they already don't care about the law.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by aaronjo » 10 Sep 2015, 10:47 am

I just find it weird that that considering the majority of gun crime is done by ppl who have acquired guns illegally how they can believe that by stopping LAFO's and the sale of ALL guns will affect that number?

They (crims) got the guns somehow and just because they stop us from getting guns I honestly don't believe it will stop them (crims). They managed to get them in the first place!
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Arth » 10 Sep 2015, 2:15 pm

aaronjo wrote:I just find it weird that that considering the majority of gun crime is done by ppl who have acquired guns illegally how they can believe that by stopping LAFO's and the sale of ALL guns will affect that number?

Because politicians are useless and are literally incapable of do anything effective.

Being useless as they are but needing to tell someone what to do they come after us because our names are in a register. They don't have to catch us like they do criminals.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics