Firearm Owners United?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Firearm Owners United?

Post by WildHunter » 22 Oct 2015, 11:30 pm

Well to be fair, you're purchasing an item off them. You're getting something in return.
Also they've run a lot of competitions, they have to get the product somehow. They also stated profits go back to the shooting community.

I believe they'll do good.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 23 Oct 2015, 8:20 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by WildHunter » 23 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

Divide and conquer? How does an organisation that wants unity divide and conquer? Also what are they conquering?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ken » 26 Oct 2015, 9:43 am

Lyam wrote:SSAA and SFP seem like the obviously people to do it but no?

SSAA seems happy just running it's business, I dunno about anything else from them.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 29 Dec 2015, 9:31 pm

Well the guys at FOU kinda went public https://www.facebook.com/Firearmownersu ... =3&theater, asked Adelaide's Today Tonight to answer some questions they had in response to a promo for a segment they were gonna air that night.
The post actually got taken down from their facebook page, and apparently you can view all the segments from that night on their website except the one about guns. https://www.facebook.com/Firearmownersu ... tif_t=like
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 30 Dec 2015, 2:07 pm

WildHunter wrote:Divide and conquer? How does an organisation that wants unity divide and conquer? Also what are they conquering?

They divide the number of possible members by one more fly by night shooting org. They are conquering you.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by WildHunter » 30 Dec 2015, 2:38 pm

happyhunter wrote:
WildHunter wrote:Divide and conquer? How does an organisation that wants unity divide and conquer? Also what are they conquering?

They divide the number of possible members by one more fly by night shooting org. They are conquering you.

I disagree, I think they're alright at what they do. Like they're no NRA, but they're helping in my opinion.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 06 Jan 2016, 3:20 pm

Maybe the SSAA should fly our a few NRA guys here to show them how to lobby ;)
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 09 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm

Seconds wrote:Maybe the SSAA should fly our a few NRA guys here to show them how to lobby ;)

That would be rather nice if they did. :thumbsup:
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 09 Jan 2016, 6:08 pm

Utcherd wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:Hmm, these guys could become the new SSAA. It's certainly possible.

Lots of people going off the SSAA that's for sure.

Been a member for many years and not renewing this year.

I don't want to start a war, but, IMHO, they aren't what I thought they would be, in our current climate nor the future.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 13 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

bluerob wrote:Been a member for many years and not renewing this year.

I don't want to start a war, but, IMHO, they aren't what I thought they would be, in our current climate nor the future.

That's the standard complaint.

A lot of people want representation for their membership fees more than a magazine.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WildHunter » 22 Jan 2016, 2:44 pm

Well there also appears to be another organisation now too, Oneshot Australia. I wonder what their deal is?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Jan 2016, 3:15 pm

WildHunter wrote:Well there also appears to be another organisation now too, Oneshot Australia. I wonder what their deal is?

Now? They've been running alongside FOU for a while now. They're pretty big skeeters by the looks of things.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

bentaz wrote:
A lot of people want representation for their membership fees more than a magazine.

That used to be me, but now i just want to move into Title's garage....... :unknown:

I don't take up much space, keep a spare breadbox open for me will ya
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Jan 2016, 8:24 pm

bentaz wrote:

I don't take up much space, keep a spare breadbox open for me will ya

no offense, you seem like a good kid n all, but I'm not taking any kids with me, you can move in here and keep my kids company if you like! :sarcasm:

PFFT I ain't staying with those brats, I'd go mad :sarcasm:

fine, I'll buy the house across the tracks where the poor people live and make a shoe-box sized garage from baked bean cans and rags
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by dhv » 22 Jan 2016, 8:59 pm

Lyam wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:There are a lot of groups like this popping up on Facebook and for me it is splintering our support base further.

That's a good point.

A consolidated group would be the go but we don't seem to be able to make it happen.

SSAA and SFP seem like the obviously people to do it but no?

No.

SFP as a political party are a different animal to SSAA with different objectives and approaches as evidenced by the undercurrent in NSW. Sure the two overlap in many ways, but you cant see them as alternatives to each other.

When it comes to lobbying for hunting and protecting hunters ability to have firearms and somewhere to use them, there are only 3 hunting orgs in the game in any meaningful way; SSAA, F&G and ADA.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Redwood » 11 Feb 2016, 9:50 am

Heckler303 wrote:I don't take up much space, keep a spare breadbox open for me will ya

"Will hand load and clean guns for room and board" :lol:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 23 Feb 2016, 8:46 pm

Back on topic :lol:

What does One Shot do?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Feb 2016, 9:36 pm

One shot shows a lot of pictures of an old lady and sprouts a lot of crap about shooting community is fractured and needs to be united.

Then it has 5 stories about clay target shooting generally involving said old lady and something about Henry Rifles usually with the old lady...

They are on Twitter too. But it's pretty much the same.....

Ohh they claim they are the voice of shooters but I have Never seen a story about hunting or bench rest shooting or pistol shooting

Ohh they link other shooting groups posts occasionally too.. While some how linking in the old lady......

I really thinking its run by as many members as GCA
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 01 Mar 2016, 1:12 pm

Xerox wrote:A lot of people want representation for their membership fees more than a magazine.

That's where I'd rather my money go.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

G'day this is my first post, just a quick introduction. I am a farmer and earthmoving contractor, hunter for over 5 decades, started from when I could walk (with dad), also into, big game (buffalo etc, in the NT) and pigging with dogs, sporting clays and pistol.
Regardless of what organisation we belong to (me SSAA), we need to support each other, there is to much infighting amongst LFO's, if we are going to defeat the anti's and authorities, we need to become a united front.
There is nothing wrong with being members of different organisations, after all they are all aiming for much the same result, just going about it in different ways, the main way that we can effect real change is through politics.
I have chosen to join and get active with the Shooters Fishers and Farmers Party, if enough LFO's get on board, we can make some real changes.
Thanks.
Member-Deleted

Post by WildHunter » 17 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

Agreed, all shooters, whether they be shotgun, handgun or rifle shooters. Hunters or target shooters. We all need to unite and fight for our rights. All the organisations need to unite and put their energy into fighting dip s*** laws.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 17 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm

That being said, I believe Firearm Owners United's goal is to become a lobby group similar to the NRA from what I've heard.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Aug 2016, 7:32 pm

I will echo the call for gun owner to unite against those that wish to restrict or deny law abiding persons access to guns of any type. Here in the USA there are a number of pro gun organizations. Most of these groups did not come into existence until after 1968, that I when the attack on gun ownership really started.

The National Rifle Association of America is the exception. The NRA saw itself come into being when a group of Civil War veterans got together to form an organization to promote civilian marksmanship, they were so discouraged by the poor shooting abilities of the men who came into the Union Army during the American Civil War.

So for almost 100 years the NRA's sole interest was in training and guns as consumer products but not so much as a gun right group. That changed in 1975 with the formation of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action under Harlon Carter, who later became the Executive Vice President of the NRA and helped set the course for the NRA becoming the principle advocate for gun ownership in the USA .
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Aug 2016, 8:01 pm

SSAA is affiliated with NRA. They also have a political arm called Legislative Action. They spend a lot of time and effort keeping the pollies on the straight and narrow when it comes to proposals that affect LAFO's. Most of it goes on behind the scenes and before things get too far. You don't hear about the good work they are doing as that would require our MEDIA to show them in a positive light.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Shillard » 17 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

Gamerancher wrote:SSAA is affiliated with NRA. They also have a political arm called Legislative Action. They spend a lot of time and effort keeping the pollies on the straight and narrow when it comes to proposals that affect LAFO's. Most of it goes on behind the scenes and before things get too far. You don't hear about the good work they are doing as that would require our MEDIA to show them in a positive light.

Bwahahahahahaha!

Good one!

SSAA are useless. 20 years and what have they achieved? As much as the NSW Shooter's Party. SFA.

You don't hear about the "good work" they are doing because it doesn't exist.

Either they achieve something and are incapable of communicating it to the member base who bankroll their Fudd arses (i.e.: incompetent), OR they don't actually achieve anything (i.e.: incompetent).

End of.
Shillard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

You need to do a bit more research Ol' mate. 20 years? They've been around since 1948. The fact that people can still buy an ADLER is thanks to SSAA. They report to the membership through the journal. But then you have to actually read the thing. Get on the E-mail newsletter if you want to see how much is going on behind the scenes.
When Roy Smith (SSAA) was in NSW upper house for the Shooters Party he got rid of a lot of stupid gun laws for us, especially around the PTA requirements such as not having to wait the 28 days after first one and not having to write an essay on genuine need every time. He also made it easier for people to try shooting for the first time which in turn translates to MORE shooters.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 18 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

To be fair I think the reason we got the Adlers was more LDP and David Leyonhjelm cutting the deal with the then Abbott Government.

Never heard of Roy Smith, not my state and probably before my time. But fair call. However was that the work of the SSAA or a SFP (SFFP) politician?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 25 Aug 2016, 10:27 am

That's pretty pessimistic.

We should have got them solely for the fact we were completely entitled to them as they're a run of the mill firearm we've always been allowed to have.

Nothing special.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by WildHunter » 03 Sep 2016, 8:51 pm

Well yes, that is completely true! But the public didn't see it that way and the Government stepped in to pretend to do something about it.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics