Firearm Owners United?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Firearm Owners United?

Post by doc » 16 Sep 2016, 12:01 pm

I can see a new entry in the oxford dictionary coming up:

"Green" (as in the phrase 'To be a g.')

1. To be a hypocrite
2. To expect different sets of biased rules to apply to you, but not others.
3. To expect emotion to rule above logic.

I might just have to start using this in every day talk and see if it catches on. ;)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by WildHunter » 27 Sep 2016, 6:06 pm

Well I still think FOU are pretty good with everything they do, I don't see supporting SSA a bad thing, sure people shoot stupid things all the time, I used to shoot stuffed toys and chocolate rabbits on the range.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

doc wrote:I can see a new entry in the oxford dictionary coming up:

"Green" (as in the phrase 'To be a g.')

1. To be a hypocrite
2. To expect different sets of biased rules to apply to you, but not others.
3. To expect emotion to rule above logic.

I might just have to start using this in every day talk and see if it catches on. ;)

You forgot the one that best defines them;

BIGOT
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by trumpychris » 28 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

Pro firearms lobbying is a lot more involved than just setting up a facebook page with a fancy logo and asking for donations and making sales of tshirts.

Perhaps you all should look at the groups that have actually been involved in consultative panels, senate inquiries and the like. The biggest fear for those of us that are actually having an impact and making positive change, is some idiot is undoing the years of hard work that have already been put in. I personally wouldn't want anyone that hasn't completed some form of media coaching speaking on my behalf.

I am still actively involved in Shooters Union and have been for 7 years. I was the VP for 5. I often see comments like "Shooters Union isn't in my state" etc. Why not get in touch with SUA and start it yourself? Its got me stuffed why people want to reinvent the wheel when there is already a well established pro-firearm lobbying brand out there that would love to get more states online under the constitution of SUA.

Questions that needs to be asked, are any of these facebook groups incorporated bodies with constitutions approved by their relevant state government? Do they have AGM's? Do they even have members and management committees? Do you get a say in how they operate? Is the management held accountable for their actions?

For years, many of us have been slogging our guts out working as volunteers for SU all whilst raising our young children and working full time jobs. We have sacrificed a lot for the cause. We don't do it because we are seeking glory, I can assure you there is none of that. We do it because it's the right thing to do.

Sitting behind a keyboard and demanding that everyone else do something when you are not prepared to get off your arse and do something yourself is really poor form. Pressing like on a facebook post amounts to nothing.
President - Law Abiding Firearm Owners Inc. - lafo.com.au

Guns = Way too many to list
Favourite Rifle = Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon .577
Favourite Handgun = Ruger SR1911 .45acp
trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 28 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

trumpychris wrote:Pro firearms lobbying is a lot more involved than just setting up a facebook page with a fancy logo and asking for donations and making sales of tshirts.

Perhaps you all should look at the groups that have actually been involved in consultative panels, senate inquiries and the like. The biggest fear for those of us that are actually having an impact and making positive change, is some idiot is undoing the years of hard work that have already been put in. I personally wouldn't want anyone that hasn't completed some form of media coaching speaking on my behalf.

I am still actively involved in Shooters Union and have been for 7 years. I was the VP for 5. I often see comments like "Shooters Union isn't in my state" etc. Why not get in touch with SUA and start it yourself? Its got me stuffed why people want to reinvent the wheel when there is already a well established pro-firearm lobbying brand out there that would love to get more states online under the constitution of SUA.

Questions that needs to be asked, are any of these facebook groups incorporated bodies with constitutions approved by their relevant state government? Do they have AGM's? Do they even have members and management committees? Do you get a say in how they operate? Is the management held accountable for their actions?

For years, many of us have been slogging our guts out working as volunteers for SU all whilst raising our young children and working full time jobs. We have sacrificed a lot for the cause. We don't do it because we are seeking glory, I can assure you there is none of that. We do it because it's the right thing to do.

Sitting behind a keyboard and demanding that everyone else do something when you are not prepared to get off your arse and do something yourself is really poor form. Pressing like on a facebook post amounts to nothing.

I would like to start a Victorian branch but I have no idea where to start or even what I would have to do, I think a lot of people are in the same situation.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by trumpychris » 28 Sep 2016, 4:39 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:
I would like to start a Victorian branch but I have no idea where to start or even what I would have to do, I think a lot of people are in the same situation.

Send an email to secretary@shootersunion.com.au and let them know that you would like to set up a branch in Victoria. This is a huge commitment and takes a special type of person to see it through.

There may even be others in Victoria that are as passionate as yourself, and if there is a coming together of like minded people, great things can be achieved.

trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 28 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

trumpychris wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:

Send an email to secretary@shootersunion.com.au and let them know that you would like to set up a branch in Victoria. This is a huge commitment and takes a special type of person to see it through.

There may even be others in Victoria that are as passionate as yourself, and if there is a coming together of like minded people, great things can be achieved.

What would I have to do to see it through though? I don't have any special skills that might help me and I'm only one guy, not being negative or anything but I would,like to know what I was getting into.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shillard » 28 Sep 2016, 9:58 pm

trumpychris wrote:

Corporations are regulated by the Commonwealth, not the States.
Shillard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Sep 2016, 8:02 am

Shillard wrote:
trumpychris wrote:

Corporations are regulated by the Commonwealth, not the States.

No.
Vast majority are incorporated under state law.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by trumpychris » 29 Sep 2016, 10:11 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:
trumpychris wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:

What would I have to do to see it through though? I don't have any special skills that might help me and I'm only one guy, not being negative or anything but I would,like to know what I was getting into.

Have a chat with our secretary. Scott is a great guy and he will be able to give you an idea of what you need to be able to do to do the job properly. It means giving up a lot of weekends, having meetings during the day at Parliament House etc. It is best suited to someone that has a flexible work environment.

I am unable to take the time off work like I used to be so that's why I resigned from being the VP. Our current VP is doing an excellent job, as are the rest of the committee.

trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 15 Jan 2017, 10:38 am

Well they gave away an Adler.

And now $300 worth of gear
https://www.facebook.com/Firearmownersu ... %22O%22%7D

Can't be that bad can they?
Just wish I'd win for once :(
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 21 May 2017, 6:52 pm

LOL so the SSAA booted them out of the SHOT show this weekend. Someone is threatened by them.
I signed up as a member with FOU this year.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 May 2017, 8:19 pm

WildHunter wrote:LOL so the SSAA booted them out of the SHOT show this weekend. Someone is threatened by them.

Really not happy with that, the LAST thing we need right now is infighting between the groups that should be coming together and pooling resources and ideas to defend LAFO.

SSAA are scared there loosing the monopoly, focus on the fact people have a reason to jump ship and look for alternative options to fund and support LAFO
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 May 2017, 3:40 am

WatchyShooter wrote:
WildHunter wrote:LOL so the SSAA booted them out of the SHOT show this weekend. Someone is threatened by them.

Really not happy with that, the LAST thing we need right now is infighting between the groups that should be coming together and pooling resources and ideas to defend LAFO.

SSAA are scared there loosing the monopoly, focus on the fact people have a reason to jump ship and look for alternative options to fund and support LAFO

You are correct, WatchyShooter. The reason we shooters on the USA still hold onto our rights and our guns is that regardless of the organization; NRA, GOA, SAF, and others is that they all are out in support of the American Gun Owner.

Yes they don't all agree on methods and means and the membership varies in number and in ability to raise funds, but the end goal remains the same.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by RoginaJack » 22 May 2017, 4:17 pm

What's the full story here, WildHunter? Did the FOU apply for a booth and set up etc or just sneak in the back door and bludge of the SSAA's hard work?

With all the hard work required in getting sponsors, premises and advertising going into running a show such as this, I would've pissed 'em off too!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 23 May 2017, 10:03 pm

RoginaJack wrote:

What's the full story here, WildHunter? Did the FOU apply for a booth and set up etc or just sneak in the back door and bludge of the SSAA's hard work?

With all the hard work required in getting sponsors, premises and advertising going into running a show such as this, I would've pissed 'em off too!

Nailed it :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 23 May 2017, 11:48 pm

Would be interested in having a chat unfortunately toowoomba and brissie are a bit far from mareeba to drop by. ;)
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 25 May 2017, 6:57 pm

Chronos wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:

Nailed it :thumbsup:

Chronos

From what I know, FOU did apply for a booth, however they were given space in a premium booth by another company. Judging by the fact that FOU posted a photo of them setting up on Thursday and they had exhibitor passes it's a fair assumption that the SSAA Vic at a minimum were fully aware of their presence long before the show started.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 28 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm

These guys still rock !!
WildHunter
Private
Private