Firearm Owners United?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Firearm Owners United?

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Aug 2016, 8:01 pm

SSAA is affiliated with NRA. They also have a political arm called Legislative Action. They spend a lot of time and effort keeping the pollies on the straight and narrow when it comes to proposals that affect LAFO's. Most of it goes on behind the scenes and before things get too far. You don't hear about the good work they are doing as that would require our MEDIA to show them in a positive light.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Shillard » 17 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

Gamerancher wrote:SSAA is affiliated with NRA. They also have a political arm called Legislative Action. They spend a lot of time and effort keeping the pollies on the straight and narrow when it comes to proposals that affect LAFO's. Most of it goes on behind the scenes and before things get too far. You don't hear about the good work they are doing as that would require our MEDIA to show them in a positive light.

Bwahahahahahaha!

Good one!

SSAA are useless. 20 years and what have they achieved? As much as the NSW Shooter's Party. SFA.

You don't hear about the "good work" they are doing because it doesn't exist.

Either they achieve something and are incapable of communicating it to the member base who bankroll their Fudd arses (i.e.: incompetent), OR they don't actually achieve anything (i.e.: incompetent).

End of.
Shillard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

You need to do a bit more research Ol' mate. 20 years? They've been around since 1948. The fact that people can still buy an ADLER is thanks to SSAA. They report to the membership through the journal. But then you have to actually read the thing. Get on the E-mail newsletter if you want to see how much is going on behind the scenes.
When Roy Smith (SSAA) was in NSW upper house for the Shooters Party he got rid of a lot of stupid gun laws for us, especially around the PTA requirements such as not having to wait the 28 days after first one and not having to write an essay on genuine need every time. He also made it easier for people to try shooting for the first time which in turn translates to MORE shooters.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 18 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

To be fair I think the reason we got the Adlers was more LDP and David Leyonhjelm cutting the deal with the then Abbott Government.

Never heard of Roy Smith, not my state and probably before my time. But fair call. However was that the work of the SSAA or a SFP (SFFP) politician?
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 25 Aug 2016, 10:27 am

That's pretty pessimistic.

We should have got them solely for the fact we were completely entitled to them as they're a run of the mill firearm we've always been allowed to have.

Nothing special.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by WildHunter » 03 Sep 2016, 8:51 pm

Well yes, that is completely true! But the public didn't see it that way and the Government stepped in to pretend to do something about it.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by simmo » 06 Sep 2016, 12:12 am

The evolution of Firearms United just through Facebook has been remarkable, I started following them last year and they were at about 10k followers. Now they are pushing 16k. The guys have been proactively courting media to put a positives spin on things and as has been quoted here they run comps etc.
I would happily throw them $25-$50 a year as they have demonstrated a lot of potential as an organisation.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 09 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

Do you mean Firearms United the European group or Firearm Owners United?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sydor » 10 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm

We going to see the changes to NFA some time soonish...
I just wander - ff (!) those changes would carry additional restrictions on us...
And if some one would call for nation wide demonstration by LAFO in the capital cities against it...
Which pro-shooting organisation would scream first not to do it?
Any bets?
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Sep 2016, 9:01 pm

FOU..... any group that supports shooters and sticks it to the antis is a plus.

The NFA changes were sorted months ago... That is for sure....even LAST year. the hold up is getting ALL states on board. The hold up is getting all states on board.

The Adler 5+ban is now permanent! Thats right, check the legislation - the temporary restriction now has no end date....

Will there be more restirctions on us, the law abiding?
Damn right, theyre not planning on easing anything..... the only uestion that remains is what the NFA mkII has in it....

All levers limited to 5 Rds?
Levers shotties to Cat C??
Ammo purchase controls for all states?
Detachable mags limited to 5rds for bolts??

The remaining question is whether all shooters will unite this time...... last time I chose to line up.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Sep 2016, 12:06 pm

I seem to recall when the adler ban was fresh, someone tried to organise a protest in Perth, outside of parliament.
SSAA killed that off, warned people not to attend, etc.
Only time they have seemed publicly active to me.
Nothing but lap dogs, they don't represent shooters imo.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

The SSAA have a model that works with the status quo.... so why would they support a change?..

As far as the SFFP.... I was highly surprised (and a smidge disappointed TBH) when they stated on SBS that THEY did not have any interest, and did not support semi-auto and getting them back!

Sorry. I want semis back, RF for fun times, 12g for hunting and CF for hunting, fun-times...and just because.... that means, I'm sorry to say, SFFP does not support my 'needs'..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm

I tell you what, If you don't like the SSAA, I'll jump up and down for you, support all your demands, get all the firearms laws repealed, anything you want!!!
Just send me as much money as you can, promise I'll use it for whatever it was I said I'd do. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Sep 2016, 6:36 pm

Never said I didnt like the SSAA..... theyre a gun club, I'm a member, I use their ranges once in a while... theyre just not a vocal lobby group pushing for change - thats the reality that I accept.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shillard » 12 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:FOU..... any group that supports shooters and sticks it to the antis is a plus.

The NFA changes were sorted months ago... That is for sure....even LAST year. the hold up is getting ALL states on board. The hold up is getting all states on board.

The Adler 5+ban is now permanent! Thats right, check the legislation - the temporary restriction now has no end date....

Which legislation would that be?

Can you provide a link to it?

My guess is "no", because there is no such legislation. It is a discretionary power within the authority limits of the Minister as dictated by long-standing legislation.

Chicken Little stuff.
Shillard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

Shillard wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:FOU..... any group that supports shooters and sticks it to the antis is a plus.

Which legislation would that be?

Can you provide a link to it?

My guess is "no", because there is no such legislation. It is a discretionary power within the authority limits of the Minister as dictated by long-standing legislation.

Chicken Little stuff.

Pay attention.

Good second post :welcome: I'll look forward to your third post next month... when hopefully you could translate this one into English, for the simple people like me :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shillard » 12 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm

Kindly cite the legislation that "permanently bans the 5+ shot Adler".

Go on - you specifically direct people to "look it up". So where is it?

Fantasy.
Shillard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Sep 2016, 7:07 am

I think Genisis is a politician. Whenever someone posts something he knows he can't address without conceding his ground, he goes on a thinly veiled personal attack in an attempt to besmirch his "opposition" and completely ignores any valid points or questions.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 8:57 am

Gwion wrote:I think Genisis is a politician. Whenever someone posts something he knows he can't address without conceding his ground, he goes on a thinly veiled personal attack in an attempt to besmirch his "opposition" and completely ignores any valid points or questions.

You got me as besmirch......your new found wordsmithery is starting to impress me :P

Points for calling out the pollie... ;) but this opposition reference? a newbie who hasnt bothered to follow the Adler discussion going back months or yrs...you have no excuse, and ignoring your valid points? Let me be the judge of the validity or otherwise of your points, I promise... any valid or sufficiently intelligible points or questions or statements will potentially be responded to. :thumbsup: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 9:13 am

[[in its own post to keep it simple...]]

ADLER / Lever shotgun import ban expired after 12month..right? this expired quietly a month ago with little fanfare...before the parliament reconvened after the election a revised legislative instrument was prepared and signed off. L.I. are regulations not ordinarily requiring Parliament nor debate or consultation;

Customs (Prohibited Imports) Amendment (Sunsetting of Firearms and Firearm Magazines Provisions) Regulation 2015.

With the expiration of this temporary ban....

(you still with me?)

It was replaced with;

Customs (Prohibited Imports) Amendment (Shotguns and Shotgun Magazines) Regulation 2016

Which doesnt expire, doesnt 'sunset'...to then 'unban' 5+levers... the respective ministry and minister would have to specifically change the regs to specifically 'allow' 5+ levers to be imported.. (I even had a little chuckle typing that last bit :lol: )

So even if pig started flying and the states/some states specifically changed the categories to state lever actions of any capacity.... I couldnt see the Feds removing the ban for the states.

You want a link?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Sep 2016, 9:36 am

and.... my point proven again.

Oh... that's right, the only valid points or questions are the ones that align with your own thought processes.
For example:
Valid question to Gen93:: "Hey, Gen93, what do you think?"
Valid statement to Gen93:: "Oh my... Gen93, you are right... aGain! Oh, i wish everyone was as smart as you, Gen93!"

:lol: :roll: :drinks: :friends: :crazy:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 10:09 am

Gwion wrote: i wish everyone was as smart as you, Gen93!"

So do I Gwion...... so do I.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by WildHunter » 13 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

I got a little lost in all that arguing. . .

So will One Shot or Firearm Owners United surpass the SSAA? And will either be an organisation similar to the NRA?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Sep 2016, 1:35 pm

Wikdhunter not in our life time. FOU may have a chance some day..

OSA are just a regurgitator of information..

Shooters Union and the Victorian firearms council should unite and that would start to challenge the SSAA.. Then and only then will the SSAA stand up. When they start losing money.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 13 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

So One Shot are s**t?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Sep 2016, 11:23 pm

At least one shot are trying to do something. I won't begrudge anyone that actually makes an effort
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 14 Sep 2016, 9:30 am

Well OSA and FOU just tweeted that effectively that "satirical" video by those arseclowns was ok..

Well there you have it.. They think It's ok for LAFO's to shoot an effigy of an anti gun advocate....

We truly are divided and on our own...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by doc » 15 Sep 2016, 5:33 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:At least one shot are trying to do something. I won't begrudge anyone that actually makes an effort

If it gives the opposition ammunition against LFO's I do.

What they've done actually helps GCA in their agenda.

Intentions alone doesn't justify actions or deem what someone has done as being helpful.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by WildHunter » 15 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Well OSA and FOU just tweeted that effectively that "satirical" video by those arseclowns was ok..

Well there you have it.. They think It's ok for LAFO's to shoot an effigy of an anti gun advocate....

We truly are divided and on our own...

Apparently most of Parliament thinks it's okay too https://www.facebook.com/DavidLeyonhjel ... =3&theater
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm

Yeah I saw that.

We are doomed! I am going to enjoy shooting while I can..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics