SSAA with a stern warning to shooters

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: SSAA with a stern warning to shooters

Post by sandgroperbill » 21 Oct 2015, 11:28 am

so, apart from a couple of behind closed door meetings (where they're just as likely selling us out) and a couple of posts on their website, what has the SSAA actually done? Don't they sell memberships so that they can organise campaigns and help people fight?
Have they bothered to organise any meaningful advertising?
Have they organised any protests and rallies?
Have they even bothered to write and send letters (not just put up posts on their website) to their membership explaining what is about to happen and the need to make lots of noise?
What do people actually get for their membership dollars?

I had been seriously considering joining, but I have been bitterly disappointed by what I'm not seeing from them. They tell people to write letters and be seen and do things, but what are they actually doing? they're the ones being funded by membership fees. They're the ones their members would expect to help them get organised, to arrange protests, etc.
If they do something along these lines, and actually show some clout and prove they're not just rolling over as this isn't about bench rest shooters and they don't care, then I will drop my dollars and happily join, but I fear it may be too late and the damage may well be done.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Sam45 » 21 Oct 2015, 5:02 pm

I for one will NOT be renewing my membership. for the simple fact, they have done f*** ALL!
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 21 Oct 2015, 6:07 pm

Sam45 wrote:I for one will NOT be renewing my membership. for the simple fact, they have done f*** ALL!

That is a common belief, however they have been doing a lot of work in canberra in the last 6 or so months, and while you may not be seeing it i know it is happening.

If you feel that strongly, please take your membership dollars and join Shooters union for $30 and donate the balance or a fair chunk of the rest to them. They will ue it wisely trust me. And Shooters Union is working on much bigger and more powerful alliances and strategies as we speak. :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 21 Oct 2015, 7:06 pm

David Brown wrote:
Sam45 wrote:I for one will NOT be renewing my membership. for the simple fact, they have done f*** ALL!

That is a common belief, however they have been doing a lot of work in canberra in the last 6 or so months, and while you may not be seeing it i know it is happening.

If you feel that strongly, please take your membership dollars and join Shooters union for $30 and donate the balance or a fair chunk of the rest to them. They will ue it wisely trust me. And Shooters Union is working on much bigger and more powerful alliances and strategies as we speak. :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Oct 2015, 7:21 pm

David Brown wrote:

Well that's how I felt that day after reading a certain Qld ssaa members statement who thought us people that want semi-automatic rifles are just rednecks.
My renal has arrived in the post and I've decided that it needs to be paid.
If I'm not going to sit down and write letters to members of government then I need to be doing something.
I don't know about this shooters union, I worry that it's just another splinter group in our all ready fractured unity. I know that you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket but spreading them too thin might be a big problem.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Redwood » 22 Oct 2015, 10:53 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I know that you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket but spreading them too thin might be a big problem.

One basket is working well for the NRA. Food for thought.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Oct 2015, 11:06 am

Redwood wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I know that you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket but spreading them too thin might be a big problem.

Yes, but they have the second amendment and that's all the NRA need to defend.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 22 Oct 2015, 11:21 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Well that's how I felt that day after reading a certain Qld ssaa members statement who thought us people that want semi-automatic rifles are just rednecks.

My father has been a member of the Single Shot Ancient Australians for decades, he dislikes semi autos yet enjoyed the full auto BB machine guns at Circus Circus in Vegas.

The situation in WA with guns being banned on military appearance had no response from the SSAA, perhaps if they also banned the Accuracy International which is a military sniper rifle the SSAA might have said something.

The Shooters Union are strong in Qld, they stick up for all firearm owners, they brought out the Canadian politician who explained how and why they dismantled their long gun registry.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Oct 2015, 11:44 am

Single shot. :lol: ... reminds me of a mate I went to Uni with, more than a couple of yrs ago...
I asked him for his liquid paper.... I get a stupid blank look... a pause followed by the response; why would I have liquid paper? I dont make mistakes! :roll:

..... same as the old man perhaps; Why would I need a second shot?!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 22 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Redwood wrote:

Yes, but they have the second amendment and that's all the NRA need to defend.

Which Amendment allows a snake to envenomate you, or a crock to bite you, or a bull to gore you? Surely Parliament wrote a law granting them the ability to defend themselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Prettybird » 26 Oct 2015, 10:27 am

Here they probably have. If a snake bit you and you stomped it you'd probably get done for killing native wildlife :problem:
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Akis » 10 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

Hi All,

I've only just joined the SSAA, an presently jumping all the legal hoops to get my licence and the right to even touch a rifle... goodness I can't even look at one with the bolt removed. I am not new to the sport, and returned from a long absence. All I can say is that the right of honest law-abiding people have been seriously eroded under the guise of public safety... hmmm that's certainly a thin, almost ludicrous argument to me. I bet the crims are finding this a bit of a joke!! I certainly accept the importance of securely stored weapons, character checks etc.. but it has taken 3 months so far and I am yet to be able to go into a gun store and handle even an inoperable rifle... how is this a benefit to public safety, how is this going to stop the drive by shootings, and more to the point crims getting access to weapons. Stopping crims is about stopping crims, targeting their organisations, hunting them down and making sure they feel that they are always in the spotlight and only a matter of time before they're caught. This is the job of the police, who are underfunded and to me it seems a looking for easy solutions through trying to deny access to firearms to all Australians... they too need our support, they need the funds and manpower to overwhelm the crims... then public safety will be addressed

Although I have joined the SSAA, and do expect them to work on my behalf, I too...no .. we are all voters, we all have the right to enjoy our sport and therefore we should exercise our right to free speech and voting power to ensure that our not so forthcoming politicians understand that we are united. I also believe there are those amongst our ranks that have joined with less than honourable agendas. To me this is of no consequence if we start uniting our voices and challenging the ridiculous and to me inequitable lengths those that oppose firearms have encouraged legislators to target legitimate members of the shooting/hunting fraternity... us. If they don't read our submissions, they will certainly see how many they receive. If they choose to dismiss our complaints they will begin dreading our impact at election time. If we're not successful to day the tomorrow we try again. Those that oppose us are relentless, ergo we too should dig our heels in and stand united for what be believe is just and equitable.

be well and safe
cheers
Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 11 Mar 2016, 1:29 am

Redwood wrote:

NRA is very important in the US. But the truth is, they don't do most of the work. Most of the work is done by other gun organizations and even law firms that are pro-gun. NRA informs lazy voters first and foremost, tattling on their crappy legislators that are doing things behind their backs. Then they educate, and also support the shooting sports (including financially). Then they do research and spend a lot of money on legal scholarship that others can use. Finally, lastly, they spend a little money on lobbying (not much) and when OTHERS have pushed a law or lawsuit and the NRA sees it is going somewhere they will swoop in to provide some technical support or the threat of their voting membership (and try to take credit). Again, they are hugely important, but they get credit and blame for 90% of the things they were not really responsible for.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by shipwright » 16 Mar 2016, 5:13 pm

pajamatime: James just noted your comments. Tell me what the issues are and I will certainly reply to Minister.
If you have a ministers name and email address would make it easier for me anyway.
Regards.
Shipwright
shipwright
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 05 Apr 2016, 11:39 am

Prettybird wrote:Here they probably have. If a snake bit you and you stomped it you'd probably get done for killing native wildlife :problem:

Stranger things have happened :roll:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by shootin blanks » 11 May 2016, 7:42 pm

I agree with all the positive comments to take action. I feel that at times shooters are their own worst enemy. The SSAA needs to pull their bolt out and be proactive nor reactive. 170000 + members deserve more.
shootin blanks
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by David Brown » 11 May 2016, 8:09 pm

Join Shooters Union Australia for advocacy value $30/year.

join SUNSW for local reasons ;-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chickenhawk » 16 May 2016, 10:38 am

shootin blanks wrote:The SSAA needs to pull their bolt out and be proactive nor reactive. 170000 + members deserve more.

It's a dwindling number if forum comments are anything to go by.

How many people do you see saying they are no longer members because they don't see the value. Seems to be an ongoing theme.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics