on the run fugitives - Victoria

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: on the run fugitives - Victoria

Post by Elek » 28 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

Just read in the news, they nabbed both of them a couple of hours ago.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Oct 2015, 2:51 pm

Wait for it...... they'll be falling over each other to claim credit.... for taking 8 YEARS.

they were too busy entering law abiding citizens homes to check safe storage....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Oct 2015, 4:55 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:ABC, SBS & NITV the rest are a waste of space.

NITV itself deserves to be taken off air with no reason given to do so.

Can you, in any way, reasonable justify that statement???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sbd3927 » 28 Oct 2015, 5:32 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:ABC, SBS & NITV the rest are a waste of space.

NITV itself deserves to be taken off air with no reason given to do so.

Can you, in any way, reasonable justify that statement???

Assuming by the ABC and SBS co-references it's a public funded media of some sort? It must be a useful, well targeted and popular medium? I've never heard of it, so they aren't doing a good job of reaching an audience. There's a reason :)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 28 Oct 2015, 6:03 pm

N.S.W coppers did, what the Vic boys couldn't ...

Please discuss. ( BAHAHAHA )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Oct 2015, 6:21 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:N.S.W coppers did, what the Vic boys couldn't ...

You Mean what the Vic coppers couldnt do in 3 days.... NSW did in 8yrs?? :lol: (and Qld)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by adam » 28 Oct 2015, 6:28 pm

Glad they're caught. Sadly it seems as though they have taken a life - only discovered today (?) but was done a couple of weeks ago. An manager of a farm in his late 60's from what I've heard - name not yet released.

As for real news TV with investiative journalism (as opposed to opiniative journalism). It no longer exists. Commercial or govt. I tend to find my news via other avenues these days - mainly from the internet. Still got to sort the rubbish through the real stuff, but at least you can get both sides as opposed to completely biased one way delusions such as the ABC.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 28 Oct 2015, 6:34 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:N.S.W coppers did, what the Vic boys couldn't ...

You Mean what the Vic coppers couldnt do in 3 days.... NSW did in 8yrs?? :lol: (and Qld)

Hey !

Its all about TODAY.

'8 years' is akin to prehistoric days.

I suspect the Vic boys would do it different, if they had the option / choice ...
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 29 Oct 2015, 12:40 am

And another innocent civilian dies because they were left on the run.
"They don't have a history of harming the public" That was the official line in Vic. ...Well they never do until they DO then it's too late for someone.
8 YEARS across 3 States, the public are treated like mushrooms, keep in the dark and feed nothing but BS.
If the farmers or public had been told what to look out for 7 years ago it could have ended about 6.5 years ago.
I want some answers from the TOP (see previous post re who I blame)
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Oct 2015, 6:26 am

Lets recall.....
When vicpol caught up with then they did Not pursue because they were armed :evil: you'd think it would be reason enough TO pursue....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by adam » 29 Oct 2015, 11:27 am

I'm skeptical about the whole '8 years on the run' thing... Does anyone know why they were 'on the run' for that many years. (ie, what they were wanted for).

I'm sure there are thousands of people out there with active warrants at the moment dating back months and years. (Skipped bail, wanted for theft, haven't paid a fine imposed on them by court, etc). At this stage I'm suspicious these guys were one of the thousands, and only because a priority once they were intercepted and they reacted violently - hence the increased awareness and press.

My bet is that the press would have hyped up the whole 'warrant out for 8 years' to 'on the run' to make a good story from it.

As for the pursuing them when they're armed. Whilst they haven't killed anyone (that was known about) - I'm sure that the good ol' OH&S laws step in there, and that VicPol aren't necessarily the ones to blame. I've got mates in the force and OH&S is embedded into everything they do now, just like other work places.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Oct 2015, 12:54 pm

but what about the ohs of everyone else? not to mention a duty of care to the public that may be exposed to a desperate fugitive feeling trapped whilst armed.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 29 Oct 2015, 5:09 pm

OHS doesn't care about the public - it's only workplaces that it has the power with / where it's concerns lie or the public in a designated workplace.

If someone armed invades your house and you call the cops, do not expect them to get their quickly and break in like the movies. Firstly they will most likely organise a rendaivu place nearby to wait & meet with other units before all approaching your place for OH&S requirements. That's the way it is these days... Your house is private, so OH&S doesn't touch you there, however when the police come in, it's a workplace to them, and they have to abide by OH&S requirements.

You might disagree with this, but the issue's with the OH&S requirements, and that''ll be partly why they were ordered not to pursue.

In addition to that, the police can never win. If they pursued, and someone was killed. (Whether it be a innocent 3rd party with a car accident, or one of the police members), they'd once again be under attack from the general public for doing it wrong.

If they try and play it safe, they're still under attack. It's easy for people to have an opinion about how it should be done when they're not the ones responsible and whichever way it goes there's likely to be a post inquiry critisising every decision that was made.

The government has made it this way. People are now encouraged to do nothing, as it's generally harder to get into hot water for doing nothing than it is for doing something and it hitting the fan because then they're the ones to blame and not the crims.

On a separate note - do we know what the original warrant was for, before this escalated?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Oct 2015, 5:24 pm

Recently I had an officer set up with a hand held speed detector..... in my street, which is what I would consider relatively quiet, in the morning at 7am.... on a saturday...IN A FOLD OUT CAMPING CHAIR.... you know the ones with the stubbie holder in the armrest!!!

FFS. So I takes a picture of the scene;

Delete the photo, says cop.... "THIS IS MY WORKPLACE"......

So yes, their primary concern is to make the worksite safe for themselves....and their workplace is where we are.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Oct 2015, 5:48 pm

Adam, I'm not disagreeing with you, but if ohs restricts emergency and essential services from having any effectiveness then you have to start applying common sense and winding it back.

It should be a risk/reward analysis. If police can't do anything for fear of getting it wrong, then why have police? We can subcontract speed cameras and parking inspection.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Harper » 30 Oct 2015, 8:53 am

anthillinside wrote:"They don't have a history of harming the public" That was the official line in Vic.

Awesome attitude :thumbsdown:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics