NFA review is on TODAY! - 5/11/2015

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: NFA review is on TODAY! - 5/11/2015

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

Redwood wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:There was talk of SA adoring the UK firearms model of having "slots" by category including ammunition slots. Even after you seek a firearms you have to apply for a new "slot" to get another.

I'm not getting it :unknown:

Slots? How does that work?

For each category you have a max number of slots. Eg 3 centre fire. You also get fixed number of slots for ammo caliber. Eg 308 with maximum in your inventory at any one time 1200 rds etc. Max purchase any one time around 300.
It's all recorded. And when you sell, a slot is not automatically freed up. You need to apply to re-instate it.

In the positive side you can own semi auto 22, shotguns and pump shot.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Ammo slots... Does each round have a unique serial number? Do you then have to report the serial numbers of the rounds that you have fired? How do they know how many you've fired, and therefore, how much you have on hand?
There are sooooooooooooo many problems with this...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 12 Nov 2015, 1:27 pm

Indeed. The number of ammunition or guns really isn't an issue. (Although it's something the media loves to milk). It reminds me of the movie "The Peacemaker':

I'm not afraid of the man who wants ten nuclear weapons. I'm terrified of the man who only wants one.

You can own all the guns in the world. Someone intent on doing harm won't use a lot - they'll only use what they can carry...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Nov 2015, 3:22 pm

ammo slots and ammo serial numbers....

almost as good as the idea of micro-serial numbers on firing pins.....aka microstamping...

Guess which state in the USA???

enter - Image

an infallible proposition :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 Nov 2015, 4:09 pm

Ammo slots just count how much ammo your allowed to hold at any one time. Not sure how that works for reloading :unknown:
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 12 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

Guess which state in the USA???

Ahh the land of fruit 'n' nuts.

The concept of microstamping is kinda "scientifical" ……some will get the gag there ;)

And the CA market will dry up of choices as they all drop off the list. Gun control by deception.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Nov 2015, 5:59 pm

I'd like to say gun control by stealth, but its not even stealth, its overt blatant... the courts even stated in justifying their decision that the 2nd amendment didnt say what TYPE of guns the have a right to....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 Nov 2015, 6:52 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I'd like to say gun control by stealth, but its not even stealth, its overt blatant... the courts even stated in justifying their decision that the 2nd amendment didnt say what TYPE of guns the have a right to....

Given the second amendment is about the citizenry removing a government that's out of control. One could argue that the public has right to equal firepower to the military.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by vexesus » 13 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I'd like to say gun control by stealth, but its not even stealth, its overt blatant...

They just think they're being stealthy.
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Nov 2015, 10:35 am

southeast varmiter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:I'd like to say gun control by stealth, but its not even stealth, its overt blatant... the courts even stated in justifying their decision that the 2nd amendment didnt say what TYPE of guns the have a right to....

Given the second amendment is about the citizenry removing a government that's out of control. One could argue that the public has right to equal firepower to the military.

I think its more about the people giving a government a limit to their (a government's) powers..... the the government take it as a start point and as a limitation on the individuals powers (rights).

Just like the Australian Consitution; its a limitation on the powers of the 'State' not a starting point.....successive 'governments' have however utterly corrupted the concept, enacting laws they didnt have the right to enact, using the document as a suggestion....a good example is the plethora of Federal environment laws.... try to find a single mention of the environment in our constitution.... not there. How does the fed explain/justify the laws? Well, they are necessary (environmental laws that is) to satisfy our international treaty obligations, or something to that effect.... they tell us ( not to preserve the tree and air for the children someone think of the children..... and the green bellied frilled red crested swamp frog)

I'm not suggesting we have no environmental controls, I'm suggesting we never gave the right to legislate on the specific matter of the environment to our representative back in from 1890's.... Perhaps they considered the other mechanisms were sufficient, trade, commerce, transport, production, communication, fisheries..... :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supporter » 17 Nov 2015, 10:00 am

southeast varmiter wrote:And when you sell, a slot is not automatically freed up. You need to apply to re-instate it.

:roll: :thumbsdown:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Spudman75 » 17 Nov 2015, 11:26 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Ammo slots... Does each round have a unique serial number? Do you then have to report the serial numbers of the rounds that you have fired? How do they know how many you've fired, and therefore, how much you have on hand?

Yeah collect the fired brass and projectile and hand it into a police station to free up a slot :-)
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by headspace » 17 Nov 2015, 8:13 pm

I reckon Adam was the voice of reason here. Sometimes the best of us can get carried away with rhetoric, and say things that would not reflect well on the shooting community as a whole. Besides, whatever we say here has two problems; one, you are preaching to the choir, and two, unbridled outbursts can and will be used out of context and turned on us. So let's try and keep the wild language for time around the campfire.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 17 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

Spudman75 wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Ammo slots... Does each round have a unique serial number? Do you then have to report the serial numbers of the rounds that you have fired? How do they know how many you've fired, and therefore, how much you have on hand?

Yeah collect the fired brass and projectile and hand it into a police station to free up a slot :-)

Here's a UK forum that explained there process very well including pics of certificates with slots etc.

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/vie ... 80&t=46928
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 18 Nov 2015, 8:48 am

Spudman75 wrote:Yeah collect the fired brass and projectile and hand it into a police station to free up a slot :-)

Go tip a bag of 1,000 22lr cases on the desk for the bloke to count :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Apr 2016, 7:14 pm

I was under the impression the nuff nuffs we refer to as premiers, along with the lefty liberal-laborite we refer to as prime minister.....; Were going to consider the NFA report from the LCCSC (Law-Crime-and-Community-Safety-Council of the AGs making)

But it turns out -

a) the report from todays love-in makes zero reference to the NFA or even firearms......(they were too interested in extracting more revenue from us...)

and

b) The LCCSC has not yet met after the last November meeting....

Next meeting is some time during this month of April (cant for the life of me find a date) AND its in Queenstown New Zulend ....

I can just imagine, our police minister go to NZ, a land where 'Military Style Semi Automatic Rifles' are plentiful.....and suggest we place the toughest restriction on a lever action shottie.... they'll be laughed out of the country..... or better still the Kiwi participants will cack themselves silly then look at the 25 serious face and say the old.... "what you're serious... bro...??"
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 02 Apr 2016, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm

Yeah I read that. Theway I see it there were some so called pro gun lobby groups screaming the sky was falling in when in reality the pollies in Canberra have bigger things to worry about than firearms laws., like an election.

I think everyone on our side just needs to calm the f&$k down and stop posting bulls**t like lever actions are going to be banned 5 round magazines etc.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Apr 2016, 11:03 am

Then after the end of the love-in yesterday - I get the email from SSAA "D Day for NFA"

Really guys?
Even after their half hour, or was it hour long break-out press conference (I lost track of time, the room started spinning) with not a hint of anything NFA related... you tell me its D Day? What, Lancaster Bombers and all??

You guys should have picked up that it was referred to the next LCCSC meet - AFTER the COAG....

What WAS mentioned yesterday about firearms (at least tabled in a report) Was contained in:

'COAG Advisory Panel on Reducing Violence against Women and their Children–Final Report'

apart from the fact that I see serious issues with the huge emphasis on reducing violence against women why neglecting the fact that MALES are the 'gender' more exposed to violence in the community, this is indisputable..... however inconvenient the truth is, regardless of it not being part of the current 'agenda' (the war against the males, theres no other way to put it)

Yes. of course violence against women is deplorable, but.....

Back to the tabled report,

Specific factors related to living in regional, rural and remote places that can make victims of violence especially vulnerable include geographical and social isolation, availability of firearms, comparative lack of legal protections and access, underresourcing of small police stations, lack of nearby services, and financial insecurity.

Yup, there it is again, the association with male - firearms - violence - vulnerability. Women in the country are particularly in danger of death because of the availability of firearms...... jeepers guys, we'd better fix that problem....any ideas? Well, you CAN NOT remove family violence, regardless of whether the male or the female is the instigator, no matter which celebrity spokesperson cries alligator tears on TV..... so if you can remove the violence.....

What the real problem? That WAS NOT discussed with the hope of "doing SOMETHING...."

oh that right, I forgot, we 'fixed' suicide, at least firearm suicide back in 96 and saved countless thousands of lives.....
The 36% increase in suicide over 10 years, not to mention the 11% increase in the last year, is a national disgrace, a veritable suicide epidemic - yet these parasites devoted not a minute yesterday to the matter??.....out of sight out of mind....all that was important was extracting more $$$ to continue to ever expand their empires back at home... Where are the greens and their cohorts, the GCA on this matter?? if theyre really 'concerned' about our community....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Ariat » 14 Apr 2016, 11:17 am

They just care about keeping their seats and talk about the things that benefit that. Nothing else.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics