Where will all the insane laws stop?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Where will all the insane laws stop?

Post by Warrigul » 30 Oct 2013, 10:39 am

This is probably opening a can of worms and if the administrators think it too controversial please delete.

Also I am not having a direct go at Police on the ground.

What ever happened to being treated as an individual and having the right to live our lives undisturbed as long as we did no harm?

Port Arthur was perhaps the most obvious starting point, a large section of the community , who were law abiding model citizens, were made to pay for the actions of one insane man. Suddenly following tradition simply became a crime and under the threat of confiscation, fines and even imprisonment simply for doing what we had been doing for centuries.

Then it was the dangerous dog act and stereotyping certain breeds as dangerous, the owners facing huge fines for simply doing what they had been doing for years.

Then the hoon laws (perhaps there is some usefulness in this instance but not in the way it is applied at times)

Then it was the Outlaw Motorcycle group association laws, which have been shown to be ridiculous with many Police Officers fitting the criteria for association through family members etc etc.

Now in Victoria it is illegal to have a 2meter high fence, a locked gate (in actual fact this is a requirement if you have a dangerous dog breed, go figure) and security cameras.

These are just the obvious ones, perhaps the biggest gripe I have is the way in which they can be applied and how there seems to be very little thought given to how people are being treated as criminals simply because they are part of a group.

There are heaps of other stupidly conceived, knee jerk laws being passed weekly. The first criteria should be that if there is legislation there already use that.

Bitch over.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Where will all the insane laws stop?

Post by saucy » 30 Oct 2013, 11:23 am

Warrigul wrote:Now in Victoria it is illegal to have a 2meter high fence, a locked gate (in actual fact this is a requirement if you have a dangerous dog breed, go figure) and security cameras.

Wait, what?

Illegal to have a fence, gate and camera?

WTF is the reasoning behind that?
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 30 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

saucy wrote:Wait, what?

News to me too... Got a link or something Warrigul?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 30 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

Lorgar wrote:
saucy wrote:Wait, what?

News to me too... Got a link or something Warrigul?

Sorry, I was referring to the anti fortification laws, they have worded it so they include fences over 1.8meters tall and locked gates.

Yes they are meant to apply to bikies only but can be applied as they see fit.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by SendIt » 30 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

Warrigul wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the anti fortification laws, they have worded it so they include fences over 1.8meters tall and locked gates.

Only in a politicians mind could a 2m treated pine fence be a fortification.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by saucy » 30 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Warrigul wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the anti fortification laws, they have worded it so they include fences over 1.8meters tall and locked gates.

Riiight. I'm with you now.

Can't locked your own gate? FFS.
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 30 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

That's no doubt just made 10s of thousands of people "criminals" if you take it word for word.

See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Monty » 30 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

Warrigul wrote:This is probably opening a can of worms and if the administrators think it too controversial please delete.

All good as long as everyone's constructive about it.

If it deteriorates into police bashing then the padlock comes out.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 30 Oct 2013, 12:49 pm

Monty wrote:
Warrigul wrote:This is probably opening a can of worms and if the administrators think it too controversial please delete.

All good as long as everyone's constructive about it.

If it deteriorates into police bashing then the padlock comes out.

Yep, the bloke on the ground really can't be blamed for what happens.

Off topic a bit: I know moderating is not my concern but if it were neccesary I would prefer that where possible the individual get edited rather than the entire thread locked(I appreciate that it is extra work). I know media and politics can get a bit out there at times on other forums, but it is usually one or two individual members that spoil it for everyone.

Thanks.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supporter » 30 Oct 2013, 1:14 pm

Warrigul wrote:Now in Victoria it is illegal to have a 2meter high fence, a locked gate (in actual fact this is a requirement if you have a dangerous dog breed, go figure)

Too many cooks in the kitchen.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SendIt » 30 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

Warrigul wrote:Yep, the bloke on the ground really can't be blamed for what happens.

99% of the time I'd be on board with that. There are moments though...

I can't remember where it was exactly but within the last few months ( I think ) there was a statement from some senior officer after a couple of firearm thefts where he said something like "it's disappointing to see people only meeting the minimum security requirements".

:shock:

We the people don't make the laws, the guys on his side of the fence do. People can get charged if they don't follow a law to the last letter, then when they do follow them exactly as required they get criticised for not doing enough?

Give it a rest...
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 30 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

Warrigul wrote:I know moderating is not my concern but if it were neccesary I would prefer that where possible the individual get edited rather than the entire thread locked(I appreciate that it is extra work).

That's the general philosophy we employ here.

Warrigul wrote:I know media and politics can get a bit out there at times on other forums, but it is usually one or two individual members that spoil it for everyone.

They can and it usually is.

Conversations will obviously get heated or go a little off track from time to time. If everyone can simmer down and get things back on track, we're happy for the conversation to continue.

As you well know, sometimes people just can't let things go and action has to be taken. Usually that will be locking the thread at the point were it went off the rails rather than deleting it.

I think you'd agree we have a pretty good class of forum member here and "arguments" are usually pretty civil. If we find members who are continually flaming, derailing conversation or otherwise being a pain, we pretty quick to get rid of them rather than continually lock topics that they muck up.

Seems to have worked well so far.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Muddy1967 » 30 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

Respect to the man with the big stick
+10
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by stevy » 30 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

Blackened wrote:If we find members who are continually flaming, derailing conversation or otherwise being a pain, we pretty quick to get rid of them rather than continually lock topics that they muck up.

Much better idea.
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

If I lived on a deer farm with 2 mtr tall fencing all around and locked gates and cameras for security would that deem that propety a fort. I was considering a full perimeter 2 ft thick reinforced concrete wal,l 3 mtrs tall topped with razor wire and broken glass with a railway iron and 25mm biz steel plate mechanical sliding gate, and perhaps an escape tunnell incase of a fire / gate fail
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Prios » 30 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:If I lived on a deer farm with 2 mtr tall fencing all around and locked gates and cameras for security would that deem that propety a fort.

Technically it would, that's the complaint.

Not that the cops would go after you for it, but...
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by squirrelhunter » 31 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

My grandmothers veggie garden is now officially "fortified" :lol:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Eduardo » 25 Nov 2013, 4:15 am

What's the rational for the anti-fortification law?

Never mind, I looked it up here.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-06/v ... es/5001164

Seems pretty absurd to me. It presumes guilt. If there is reasonable suspicion that a crime is occurring, that's what warrants are for.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Old Fart » 25 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

Eduardo wrote:What's the rational for the anti-fortification law?

Never mind, I looked it up here.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-06/v ... es/5001164

Seems pretty absurd to me. It presumes guilt. If there is reasonable suspicion that a crime is occurring, that's what warrants are for.

Yep.

To stop bikies making strongholds.

Unfortunately it's pretty standard in Australia to take a law intended for a specific group and apply it to everyone without cause.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 25 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

Yep,

My grandmother has a "fortified" flower garden now apparently :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 25 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

I guess the biggest question I have is how broad of a net did they cast with this law? Meaning, how does this law only target bikers without smacking of discrimination? To get away with wit this law, I suspect the law would have to apply to everyone even though the intent is to target the biker community. At least that's how it would have to be done here otherwise legitimate biker clubs would be outraged. . Do you folks suspect that you will see this law used beyond the outlaw biker community? Also, was there a huge problem that police were facing with entering "fortified" locations? I mean, if they suspect illegal activity, get a warrant a search the place. I guess I'm not following.

Old Fart wrote:Yep.

To stop bikies making strongholds.

Unfortunately it's pretty standard in Australia to take a law intended for a specific group and apply it to everyone without cause.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Nov 2013, 11:07 pm

They have had difficulty gaining acsess to clubhouses a few times, to the point they need to wait for the Star Force to roll up in the armoured riot truck to ram the gates. I say wait till they go in and hold em there Mexican stand off style, they will soon get hungry. Worst that can come out of the law is people being asked to make at least part of the boundry "easy" to enter.... now if you have been living on doughnuts and maccas, and driving for a living then "easy" might mean a gate made from cardboard. ( Wait untill Eduardo hears about the proposed anti assosiation laws )
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Eduardo » 26 Nov 2013, 1:06 am

on_one_wheel wrote: Worst that can come out of the law is people being asked to make at least part of the boundry "easy" to enter...

Perhaps I'm being a bit overly dramatic but the way I read this is they are limiting your rights to defend your self with a gun and now you potentially have to make your homes easy to enter. Can you say "home invasion"?

My wife is from El Salvador and the only way people keep themselves safe in their homes it to fortify them. Almost all of the homes in many areas around San Salvador have stone walls with barbed wire, and bars on the windows.

on_one_wheel wrote: ( Wait untill Eduardo hears about the proposed assosiation laws )

I'm afraid to ask.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by padaro » 26 Nov 2013, 6:25 am

Eduardo wrote:Perhaps I'm being a bit overly dramatic but the way I read this is they are limiting your rights to defend your self with a gun

"Limiting" is far too kind of a word.

It's basically all but forbidden.
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 26 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

Eduardo wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote: Worst that can come out of the law is people being asked to make at least part of the boundry "easy" to enter...

Perhaps I'm being a bit overly dramatic but the way I read this is they are limiting your rights to defend your self with a gun and now you potentially have to make your homes easy to enter. Can you say "home invasion"?

My wife is from El Salvador and the only way people keep themselves safe in their homes it to fortify them. Almost all of the homes in many areas around San Salvador have stone walls with barbed wire, and bars on the windows.

on_one_wheel wrote: ( Wait untill Eduardo hears about the proposed assosiation laws )

I'm afraid to ask.

You have no idea how bad it is getting.

Simply by being related to a biker gang member (or any organisation they deem to be against the interests of the public) you can be made a prohibited person regarding firearms etc. Being associated with a biker gang (however loosely) means normal process is warped and even if the Police do the wrong thing you have to appeal it but wear the consequences in the meantime without any compensation if found to have been treated badly.

Other "good" motorcycle clubs who were never the intended target have found themselves on the recieving end recently simply because the law is there, and the law applies to ANY GROUP they want to apply it to.

We are going to hell in a basket down here in Australia, REAL quick.

On another note, a lady I used to teach is a refugee from El Salvador, there wasn't much of her family left to come to Australia after the government had finished with them so I have great respect for those from that country and especially those left. In fact any genuine refugee has my sympathy and respect, don't get me started on the economic refugees we are currently being swamped with.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusC » 26 Nov 2013, 5:14 pm

Warrigul wrote:You have no idea how bad it is getting.

My partner and I are seriously considering a move to Canada within the next few years...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by huccl » 26 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

AusC wrote:My partner and I are seriously considering a move to Canada within the next few years...

Now that's dedication :mrgreen:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics