Who here Reads the paper / watches the news?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Who here Reads the paper / watches the news?

Post by adam » 20 Nov 2015, 12:44 pm

Something I've been doing less and less these days is watching or reading main stream news.

I don't subscribe to any news papers anymore, and might watch a little of the news that's on TV at night - but definitely less than I used to.

I got sick and tired of being lied to. I find that spending my time on forums and the internet I'm able to find out more about what's really going on.

Just wondering if anyone else has done similar - stopped subscribing to papers, or watching the mainstream news as well compared to what they used to?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Who here Reads the paper / watches the news?

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Nov 2015, 12:59 pm

Same here. It used to surprise me how much the news differed between media agencies. I used to find the ABC the best and most neutral source... alas not any more. Now I pretty much just check the weather or breaking news (ie Paris). Apart from that, I really don't read or watch news much now.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 20 Nov 2015, 4:56 pm

I haven't watched "current affairs" shows since '96 and don't watch ANY reality show or hospital, family, lawyer, police, investigatory dramas or the so called news. That pretty much leaves Road Runner cartoons. I do have my laptop plugged into my TV and watch docos off YouTube instead....oh and shooting videos.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

Grain of salt?? more like a sack.....
You cant trust the buggers to tell you the weather for the day.... if they told me the sun was shining, I'd still look out the window to make sure:lol:

Used to read the papers, looked at the Herald hun last weekend, I find it funny what proportion of it is advertisements.... most of it, the rest is half or more useful sport news :roll: , the rest? filler/BS
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by anthillinside » 20 Nov 2015, 6:20 pm

Same here,
Less and lessover the last few years, my main source of news is Talk back radio and ABC radio national but thats going down hill fast.
Talk back radio is getting more like current affairs programs but most news covered by the night's TV is reported live on talkback by the listeners.
1/2 hourly news bullitens and the TV whats on the news tonight adds plus news reported by callers keeps mepretty much uptodate withcurrent stuff.
Politicly and te more obsure stuff tends to be covered on forums, like here for gun stuff
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Nov 2015, 6:56 pm

come on anthill, dont rely on the gaybeecee, they USED to be unbiased, telling it like it is without the hollywood angle... not anymore. Its easy to tell, because they now start the news with the celebrity goss..... bad form. There is absolutely no avenue on TV other than maybe the foreign SBS news, maybe.....

We used to religiously watch the evening news, commercial or otherwise at tea time...... I moved the TV out of the meals area years ago.
I now watch 24 in the evening.. in the morning for a few minutes for my 'dose'..... thats about it, then the online news from a variety of sources and try to sort some truth from the ocean of info / disinfo / etc
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by VICHunter » 24 Nov 2015, 12:12 pm

Only the radio. It's lighter on the bulls**t.

As soon as cameras are involved these people suddenly think it's Hollywood and everything is an action or horror movie.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 26 Nov 2015, 2:04 am

+1 Genesis93
I said the ABC was going down hill fast :allegedly: well starting this year they are in free fall.
If I could find a music station that had more than 3 songs on an endless loop I'd probably go back to listening to music.
To many hours driving to sit in silence :cry: and theres no way I'll buy anything with iDiot connectivity :violin:
Antone got any 8 tracks?
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 26 Nov 2015, 4:43 am

"To many hours driving to sit in silence :cry: and theres no way I'll buy anything with iDiot connectivity :violin:
Antone got any 8 tracks?"[/quote] ...lol with full quadraphonic sound? Said it before and I'll say it again...The further we move forward, the further I want to move back!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 8:33 am

Nup I gave up ready newspapers years ago and very rarely see any news on TV too (got sick of all the propaganda crap and all the fear mongering that they use to control people with so figured I'd fix that and f***ed em off! I couldn't care less what happens around the world these days, what will be will be, I'd rather put my energy into good things to be honest.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 26 Nov 2015, 9:42 am

bigfellascott wrote:got sick of all the propaganda crap and all the fear mongering

Yep.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

What fear mongering??

this morning I heard the "will be the hottest years on record" probably about 5 times...... why? Do they add that records have been kept for what, 100 of the 4,600,000,000 years of earths existence? No.

Just like the record CO2 levels nudging 400ppm....... they always conveniently forget before the modern 'records' the level had been recprocating well above 400, as high as 7,000 ppm, almost 10x the current!

But they're not necessarily lying, just leaving the full story out.

What about the constant updates / breaking news on the SA fires, why across the nation?? Not saying we dont care, but its only instilling FEAR IN THE PEOPLE!! again.

They're not reporters, not the press, but the PRESSTITUTES
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 3:04 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:What fear mongering??

this morning I heard the "will be the hottest years on record" probably about 5 times...... why? Do they add that records have been kept for what, 100 of the 4,600,000,000 years of earths existence? No.

Just like the record CO2 levels nudging 400ppm....... they always conveniently forget before the modern 'records' the level had been recprocating well above 400, as high as 7,000 ppm, almost 10x the current!

But they're not necessarily lying, just leaving the full story out.

What about the constant updates / breaking news on the SA fires, why across the nation?? Not saying we dont care, but its only instilling FEAR IN THE PEOPLE!! again.

They're not reporters, not the press, but the PRESSTITUTES

Yep you've got it, everyday some major drama is supposed to happen and cause imminent death or financial ruin to all :crazy: :thumbsdown: lying sacks of s**t the lot of em, life is so much better since I removed all media dramatised crap out of it. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 27 Nov 2015, 10:30 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Nov 2015, 10:33 am

happyhunter wrote:Turkey shooting down the Russian bomber seems to be getting mild attention from the Australian press. Imagine if it had been Syria shooting down an Australian war plane and the noise that would generate. Considering Turkey is a NATO member and world wars have started from less I think this event should be getting a little more attention.

It was completely disgraceful and barbaric to shoot it down the SU-24 without prior warning, then to take potshots at the pilot when he was coming down. Thankfully his navigator got out and made his way home, but what a completely bs move.

Looks like Putin is going to have some roast turkey for Christmas.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Nov 2015, 11:43 am

Of course the scumbag media dont make too much of Turkeys history of flying over its neighbours regularly, what a thousand incursions into greece this year, and the 17seconds equates to almost stall speed through the strip of Turkey, it was more like 3 or 4 seconds....

So they were tracked toward Turkey, fly through then pursue in SYRIA??? Right is wrong, up is down and black is white....

Putin will take action.... something a bit more than cutting the gas I suspect...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pajamatime » 27 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

I stop watching tv years ago. None of my other family members do either except for the littlies who watch "ad" free cartoons sometimes.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 Nov 2015, 9:49 am

Ditto.

Haven't watched TV for about 6 years now.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics