SBS 2 - Kids & Guns

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

SBS 2 - Kids & Guns

Post by brett1868 » 26 Nov 2015, 9:31 pm

Starting now if anyone is keen...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: SBS 2 - Kids & Guns

Post by brett1868 » 26 Nov 2015, 9:45 pm

Kid gets a 44 Mag rifle for her 4th birthday, 9yr old has 29 hand guns....Main theme so far seems to be a focus on teaching the kids safety and guns are for sport. So far I like what I'm seeing.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 Nov 2015, 10:54 pm

Was an interesting program, highlighted the tragedy of a 9yr old boy accidently shooting himself in the head whilst hunting alone. Showed the 9yr old competing in an IPSC style competition for kids shooting pistols. The dad wised up that it wasn't a good idea for a 4yr old to shoot a 44Mag so he got her a 22LR and made it fun so she wanted to shoot.
If it wasn't for our retarded laws I'd have taught my 10yr old to shoot by now, as it is I'll wait till he's 12 and legally in possession of his juniors permit. His first lesson should be about doing it legally and can't do that if he's breaking the law by shooting underage and without the right permits.
I took my neighbors son to the range last week, he's 15 and I paid for his safety course, SSAA membership and license in return for some cheap labour. Whilst I was in the U.S he took it upon himself to mow both by front and back lawns, did a great job as well so I rewarded him with a trip to the range once I cleared it with his parents and he was all done with any school work.
I walked him through all the procedures at St Marys range then sat him down at the bench and explained the rifle to him (its a biathlon straight pull action with a rotary mag) as it's not the usual bolt action. He put through almost 150 rounds and with some coaching was getting nice groups and was consistent in how he was cycling the action and looking through the scope.
Moved up to my pride and joy, the Sako 22-250 and after I got it zeroed I cut the young fella loose. A little coaching and he was nailing 5 shot clover leaf groups at 50m having never shot at a range and first time with a 22-250. Spent a good 4 hours at the range and had a great time, I made a deal with him that I'll take him shooting a couple times a month providing he behaves at home and his school work is done properly.

My point is that kids can be taught to shoot safely, it's an enjoyable sport that the whole family can get involved in. I doubt there's any other sport with so many facets to enjoy, be it black powder, long range tactical, air pistol and all the various hunting / vermin control options. I really pity the anti's as their life must be so devoid of joy they are compelled to make others as miserable as they are.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Nov 2015, 12:05 am

Personally, I think it's important that kids, once mature enough (which is not defined by a set age) should be taught about firearms. They should understand what they are, that they are dangerous and to be respected, that they are not toys, and to have the mystery taken out of them. Teach them how to use them safely under supervision and within the law, and they won't see them as toys and as a result won't play with them. Obviously, they will always be under lock and key, so they won't have access to them unless supervised, but understanding and respect are healthy.

Having said that, I also totally understand and respect if a parent does not feel the same way.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Nov 2015, 12:06 am

By the way, Brett, how was your trip? Get any good shopping in?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Nov 2015, 6:15 am

I know for sure when I have kids they'll be taught how to be safe with AND respect firearms just as much as not touching hot stoveplates or playing with fire.

If firearms are still legal when that happens :roll:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by southeast varmiter » 27 Nov 2015, 7:28 am

Heckler303 wrote:If firearms are still legal when that happens :roll:

True. I think the social engineers have given up on us, they will brainwash the next generation never to know they exist.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 27 Nov 2015, 9:17 am

sandgroperbill wrote:By the way, Brett, how was your trip? Get any good shopping in?

Had a great trip and wish it was longer. Not much firearms related shopping though I did buy a few tools and did 3 days of training. The important thing was that I spent time with the family and my son got to experience Sea World, LEGOLAND and Disneyland for his 10th birthday.

Despite the anti's fear mongering about the alleged rampant U.S gun culture, I felt extremely safe in the US, great country to visit and the people are friendly. Heading back early next year for more training and to work out some business opportunities with the brother in-law :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 27 Nov 2015, 2:50 pm

is there a link to this ?
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 27 Nov 2015, 3:19 pm

Friend of mine had his kid sent home from school because he spoke about his dad's love of shooting (competition). Apparently the teacher was concerned that the topic was going to encite 'fear' in students.
:allegedly: :violin:
Again. The social engineers don't have to take our guns. They just need the next generation to reject them.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 27 Nov 2015, 4:35 pm

pajamatime wrote:is there a link to this ?

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/361511491769/kids-and-guns

You'll need to login with one of several accounts, google, fcukbook etc etc...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Nov 2015, 5:16 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Friend of mine had his kid sent home from school because he spoke about his dad's love of shooting (competition). Apparently the teacher was concerned that the topic was going to encite 'fear' in students.
:allegedly: :violin:
Again. The social engineers don't have to take our guns. They just need the next generation to reject them.

For real? No wait, I know this is for real, my teachers got pissy at me for drawing swastikas and markings on a paper plane I was making when I was bored just a couple of days ago. I'll make a thread on it.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Spudman75 » 28 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

brett1868 wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:By the way, Brett, how was your trip? Get any good shopping in?

Had a great trip and wish it was longer. Not much firearms related shopping though I did buy a few tools and did 3 days of training. The important thing was that I spent time with the family and my son got to experience Sea World, LEGOLAND and Disneyland for his 10th birthday.

Despite the anti's fear mongering about the alleged rampant U.S gun culture, I felt extremely safe in the US, great country to visit and the people are friendly. Heading back early next year for more training and to work out some business opportunities with the brother in-law :)

I did a similar trip in July, I have been to the US 3 times now. How many guns have I seen???

Total of 1, on a Cop lined up getting dinner at LAX.

Don't believe the crap the media spits out about the US, 99% of the people there are NORMAL and I have never had an issue travelling there either alone or with the family. If you don't believe me... go there yourself and you will see that Australian media has essentially promoted all the bad bits of the US and US culture with almost zero focus on the normal people.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Nov 2015, 2:36 pm

Was this the show where the young girl lost the comp and was pi5sed because the winner had optics on his pistol?? :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by wrenchman » 28 Nov 2015, 3:39 pm

i started both my kids early and both love to hunt both have taken deer by the time they were 12
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Nov 2015, 8:52 pm

Yeah seen this show a few times before, just another attempt at making firearms ownership look bad in the eyes of the ignorant and gullible. I remember my introduction to shooting/firearms use was the old mans 22 and 303, I was around 6 or 8 at the time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm

wrenchman wrote:i started both my kids early and both love to hunt both have taken deer by the time they were 12

Nice one, what toys have they managed to pick up and use? (without falling over :lol: )
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by RealNick » 01 Dec 2015, 9:30 am

Not bad.

Bit of a mixed bag, lots of good stuff but a few jabs at us as well.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics