SBS show "Sleeping with the Enemy"

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

SBS show "Sleeping with the Enemy"

Post by Browning » 05 Jan 2016, 10:35 pm

Did anyone see the show tonight on SBS? It was a good watch and I thought Steve Lee conducted himself fantastically!!
I thought he was polite, realistic and represented the hunting community well....
Even my wife, who cares neither way, thought he did a great job...
Great show and what amazed me was how often the animal "libbers" broke the law..
I know where everyone's beliefs will lie on this forum but interesting to other people's thoughts on the show if they watched it...
If ya missed it, you could always watch it again on "SBS on demand"
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: SBS show "Sleeping with the Enemy"

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Jan 2016, 12:01 am

I'm watching it right now, a couple of minutes in and she's trying to justify leather shoes...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Browning » 06 Jan 2016, 12:23 am

I couldn't help but giggle when they were talking about killing "someone" (a duck)

And my favorite bit....
"So Steve, has coming with us today changed your mind about Duck hunting?"
His reply, "...yeah it has actually... I think I'd like to give this a try sometime" hahaha
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Jan 2016, 12:43 am

So it appears I missed the first half which is a shame. It is a little worrying that people can so easily dismiss an opposing point of view as being invalid simply because they don't agree.

I can understand someone getting upset at the thought of killing, personally, I don't enjoy killing (and I have never met someone that specifically enjoys killing. If I did meet someone that enjoys the actual killing, I damned sure wouldn't go hunting with them) but I do enjoy all the other aspects of hunting, and, when you look at it objectively, an instant death is far more humane than poisoning.

The way that I personally see it, is that for every feral I kill, I have saved hundreds or even thousands of native animals that are supposed to be here at the expense of something that is damaging the eco-system, and the suffering inflicted on my prey is far less than the suffering inflicted on natives by a cat or fox.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Browning » 06 Jan 2016, 12:51 am

Well said sandgroper
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 06 Jan 2016, 7:00 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Jan 2016, 8:15 am

happyhunter wrote:Rationalise it anyway you like, If you like hunting, killing is a part of the exercise. If you like seeing the result of a well placed shot, seeing that fox go instantly to "sleep" without a whimper, the satisfaction that comes with the stalk, the shot, the taking of the animals life then you enjoy the killing and there is no amount of rationalising that is going to hide that fact.

He does have a point. It's not just the taking of animal's life that would give somebody satisfaction, its the good effect of what happens after when you need to snuff it's life that can be labelled satisfaction. It isn't like what anti-hunters say when they go on about 'hunters are bloody thirsty', because obviously they don't have half a braincell to rub on the situation.

General go-about with both fishing/hunting is we wait, we choose to try and take it, if we are successful in taking it, we make sure we give it a humane death and then do what we chose to do with it when it's dead. If it's for meat, we get satisfaction for bagging and preparing our own game to be cooked up. If it's a feral pest, we get satisfaction knowing we're doing the native animals and the land a good favour. If we have to put an animal down, it's a lot better to know it died a quick near-painless death instead of living in agony in its final moments.

If I had to be an game animal like a sambar or a buffalo, I would rather have a quick humane death of a hunter's round then die of starvation or heat exhaustion in the middle of nowhere.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Jan 2016, 8:36 am

This was the episode with the Animal Australia terrorists?? I think there might be an older thread on it...

This show made me sick, to see the AA activist openly declaring that they break the law/will do so for animals (if I have the right show) They are effing terrorists and if gun owners did the same they would absolutely have a knock on the door, probably with the masterkey, and their guns would be gone quicker than you could say "our society couldnt possibly be that effed if we not only allow these type of mentally retarded imbeciles to be part of our community, but make a show supported and promoting their cause"

They even broke in to a piggery (illegally) planted cameras (illegally) used the vision (illegally) then the farming is doing the wrong thing??? Then they openly boast about it.....and would do it again..

For goodness sake, they believe animals are 'people' and refer to them as such.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by anthillinside » 10 Jan 2016, 1:20 am

I saw it first time it was aired and recorded it.
One bit that really brings home the absolute hypocrisy of the animal rights idiots is Felicity’s abuse of Roberts and Steve when they are at the kill she says “F***g hell your ANIMALS”
Animals ??? So she should LOVE them and fight for their rights.

At no point did anyone swear at or abuse the animal libbers, but it’s OK for them because their “emotional”

The show very clearly shows the irrational minds of the animal libbers and I provide copies to various people when either hunting or animal rights or both becomes a topic of discussion.
It changes many points of view.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Jan 2016, 3:23 am

They were closed minded, which shows there is no reasoning or debating with them. If they disagree with you, then you're wrong and your point of view is invalidated and doesn't count. And as long as it's to an end that they desire, anything can be justified. This is a dangerous mindset.

As for rationalizing hunting, I'm not trying to rationalize squat. I accept that part of hunting is to kill, and I hunt for two basic reasons, to destroy ferals that can do tremendous damage if left unabated and for meat. Do I enjoy hunting as a whole? yes. But I stand by what I said earlier, I don't specifically like killing. To this end, one of the goals is to make this as quick and painless as possible for the prey. I don't enjoy seeing an animal wounded, I don't enjoy when you drop an animal but need a second shot to finish it off. My aim is a single shot and instant death for my prey. As a hunter, I have seen people get excited at the prospect of the hunt. I have never come across anyone that wants to hunt for the sake of killing.

I can understand and respect other people's feelings regarding hunting, and it certainly isn't for everyone, but I have come across a lot of people that, after being initially opposed to the very idea, after some conversation, understand that hunting is important to pest control. Doesn't mean they want to participate, but they understand and respect it.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 10 Jan 2016, 10:17 am

All I got from that is Steve lee is a true gentleman.

And has a license for everything cool
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Jan 2016, 11:33 am

:thumbsup:
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 14 Jan 2016, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jan 2016, 9:09 pm

I love killing animals (hunting) after all that's the result of a successful one isn't it. Why do people get so caught up in the fact that something dies when you go hunting or eat an animal? To me it's a natural part of life to hunt and eat animals which means they have to die to do so. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Seik » 11 Jan 2016, 8:18 am

Browning wrote:It was a good watch and I thought Steve Lee conducted himself fantastically!!

Was this new content or repeated old?

Seems like Steve dropped off the face of the earth a while back.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ed9362 » 11 Jan 2016, 8:58 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Ed9362 wrote:All I got from that is Steve lee is a true gentleman.

Well.... kinda 'had' for everything cool... then for nothing cool....well nothing at all for a while....

What do you mean by that did he loose his license
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Jan 2016, 9:00 am

bigfellascott wrote:I love killing animals (hunting) after all that's the result of a successful one isn't it. Why do people get so caught up in the fact that something dies when you go hunting or eat an animal? To me it's a natural part of life to hunt and eat animals which means they have to die to do so. :unknown:

Murderer! you murderer peoples I tells you... :evil: :lol: :lol:

Theyre just demented, retarded, oxythieves...who are opposed to human activity, or due to some void in their pitiful existence decide to be opposed.... like the greens, who want to stop hunting, all legal shooting activities, use of the outdoors for so many uses,other than sitting under a tree holding hands in a circle, in a non harmful biodegradable chemical free vegan way ....they're in denial of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.... if our strain of genetics hadnt started killing meaty/fatty animals and working out that the flesh could be eaten, and tasted kinda not bad, once it was thrown in the fire for a few minutes even better.... I'm no geneticist or anthropomorphist (if that would be the term) but through evolution, the human of today, would probably look a whole lot different, maybe couldnt walk or talk as we do today;

But dont worry about that, their mission is to stop everything and save everything else...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by veep » 11 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

Ed9362 wrote:What do you mean by that did he loose his license

He has / had a dealer license, as mentioned in some of his videos. I don't think he ever explained it fully (not that I saw anyway) but in the lead up to him going quiet he made some references towards having some difficulties with NSW Registry.

There were rumours going around like he had a cat C or D firearm on the table in one of his videos and walked out of the room thereby leaving it unsecured and/or accessible to unlicensed persons (other people in the room, guy working the camera). Just a rumour there mind you.

Based on a bit of assumption here but it seems like he got in the poop with NSW Pol over something and didn't want to poke the bear, so decided to keep his head down while trying to sort it out.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Jan 2016, 11:47 am

Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 14 Jan 2016, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Ed9362 » 11 Jan 2016, 1:02 pm

Wow what' a shame
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jan 2016, 1:10 pm

Ed9362 wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Ed9362 wrote:All I got from that is Steve lee is a true gentleman.

Well.... kinda 'had' for everything cool... then for nothing cool....well nothing at all for a while....

What do you mean by that did he loose his license

Yes but I think he's got some of them back again now after a long legal battle, not sure if he has his firearms back though.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 12 Jan 2016, 2:03 pm

He came unstuck mainly due to that youtube video most of us probably watched where he says goodbye to his m14.... (Moral of the story don't put it on youtube) non-approved range, use of cat D etc....

That is not quite true, that is what the cops tried to get him on, but he was actually entitled to shoot it there. And he won in court. The problem was the boys in WLB were not keen to restore the status quo.

And yes the B is for Bullies not branch.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Jan 2016, 3:24 pm

Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 14 Jan 2016, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Ed9362 » 12 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm

I hope he has the money to cover all the costs of his fights, seems like an expensive exercise although the S&F party might help him out
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 12 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

To be honest I can't think of a better face of Australian shooters than Steve lee, he love the shooting sports and always conductucts himself in an appropriate manner. (From what I have seen on YouTube anyway)
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 13 Jan 2016, 12:29 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:He came unstuck mainly due to that youtube video most of us probably watched where he says goodbye to his m14.... (Moral of the story don't put it on youtube) non-approved range, use of cat D etc....

This one I guess for those who haven't seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpBd57b7YvQ
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Jan 2016, 12:43 pm

The M14 is only allowed for aerial culling in NSW it cannot be used for anything else, it's a current military rifle they still use it for shooting comps in the USA military.

To maintain aerial culling certification you have to do 8 or 12 hours a year, sometimes the work just isn't there.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 13 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

Ed9362 wrote:To be honest I can't think of a better face of Australian shooters than Steve lee, he love the shooting sports and always conductucts himself in an appropriate manner. (From what I have seen on YouTube anyway)

He's definitely the shooter putting in the most effort for us.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 14 Jan 2016, 8:58 am

<<Genesis93>>,

I think we all know how plea bargains work with bullies in blue. The range and use was actually a legal use. I have spoken to him about this. There is more to the story that is in the court documents. Last I spoke with Steve he still did not have his licences restored, he had to reapply and so did his son. they were holding his son's application up on the grounds that "lets see what happens with your dads case". What a joke.

WLBNSW is probably no different to any other state, they apply their own laws at their own discretion all the time, regardless of what the laws (as dumbs they are) actually say. We have plenty of that in QLD where WLBQPS deny things verbally and try to not reply in writing, because if they write, they know they will get challenged in court and lose. Some times they get away with it, some times they do not.

I bet the court documents do not detail the NSW Police not writing up all the seized guns and issuing a receipt…..Steve had to fight to get them to do that. What about his record books that they "lost". Keystone Cops at best that would taunt him during interviews and meetings over various matters. So disgusting is their behaviour they do not deserve respect. Regardless of who or what the charges were about.

I have sat in meetings with some of these folk and to be honest, smug is the nicest thing I can say. Smug Dictators who demonstrate they do not know as much as they should, is about as far as I am about to print. I have several mates in SERT up here…I will never print the stories I hear, but bugger me if they are not consistent with the Anti terrorism mates and other "non paper pushing" police.

Looks like a duck…quacks like a duck = DUCK

Bottom line is they (NSWWLB) want to cut out all CAT D holders and they wanted to make an example of Steve, ultimately they lost, but he was ruined in the process. A minimum $250K down the drain let alone lost income etc. Compensation comes to mind but who has the funds to take on the good fight.
Last edited by Blackened on 18 Jan 2016, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redacted <<Genesis93>> quote
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Jan 2016, 9:41 am

No question they tried to destroy Steve, its a pity they devoted so much effort to the cause instead of fighting crime .... as in real crime.

Our firearm legislation sucks, and I firmly believe the police shouldnt be tasked with enforcing it - they have successfully blurred the line between criminal use of firearms and the regulation of licensed use and associated 'infractions' ... add to that the declared bias inherent in the police - "guns are an OHS issue / we want less guns out there period"...

We should have a statutory authority, say the 'Department of Licensing' that licenses individuals for firearms (heck they can do car licensing as well), NOT leave the task to a militarised / armed enforcement unit who might show up, armed, at your door at any (reasonable) time simply because you want to participate in a sport of target hooting..... when a licensed individual 'breaks a law' just like ANY regulated activity - THEN call in the law, if you really need too.

I think I've said enough, maybe too much about the case, I'll shortly go back and remove references to Steve and his matter....DB if you wouldnt mind dropping my quotes from your posts :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Blackened » 18 Jan 2016, 10:10 am

Done for him.
Blackened

New South Wales

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics