Queensland police: Options for Defending

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Queensland police: Options for Defending

Post by FuzzyM » 12 Jan 2016, 4:26 pm

AusTac wrote:Concealed carry - lol naah but in all seriousness its a slippery slope, i would like to see some clarification on the posession of knives ( always carry a leatherman in the jeep ) and maybe a limited, legal lenth blade size etc non locking 3 inch blade as i would imagine it would be hard to stab someone with a non locking blade whilst keeping all your fingers, been bitten by a swiss army knife before, almost took half my thumb off

Most leatherman tools including mine have a locking blade.
My leatherman blade is over your 3 inches too.

I don't think it makes much difference to criminals.

Friend of one of my colleagues got slashed with a box cutter on the train for not handing over his shoes :crazy:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 12 Jan 2016, 8:02 pm

this is the most disgusting thing I have read in a long time .
if they see a need to pout this up , there is a need for people to be able defend themselves
what is the acceptable force for a sawn of shotgun ?
can my family hire me as an armed body/security garde?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 13 Jan 2016, 5:43 am

Absolutely abhorrent. If human rights and charity organizations did any good, Oz would be under sanctions and an embargo. Not that there's anything wrong with your people or nation, but your government is radically oppressive.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jan 2016, 8:08 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Chronos » 13 Jan 2016, 9:22 am

adam wrote:
Seriously? That might be OK for you - who might be capable of defending yourself with whatever force is necessary, but it obviously wasn't for Jill Meagher, or many of the other women who have been raped and killed.

How about having some consideration of others who are less defensible than yourself. Those where a can of pepper spray could be the difference between life and death - but are not allowed to equip themselves. Using whatever force is necessary to defend yourself only works when you have the available force required.

And when your attacker is also carrying CS spray or a taser? What then? A knife, oh wait he's already got one, A gun? Where does it end? Where does a defensive weapon cease to be defensive and become a weapon with potential start a fight rather than end one?

Once you open the door it could be very hard to shut it. Not having a go just asking the "devils advocate" question

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 13 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

Errrrm.

Nope, brain has seized up trying to figure this out.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by adam » 13 Jan 2016, 7:08 pm

Chronos wrote:Once you open the door it could be very hard to shut it. Not having a go just asking the "devils advocate" question

And it's good to consider both sides. Something that should be encouraged more in a world that seems to be increasingly of the opinion "Shut the other side up, they're dangerous"...

Firstly remember that I'm talking about defensive non lethal weapons. Not offensive lethal weapons.

As for attackers carrying these things - criminals already carry worse. That's the similar logic that's used against us as LAFO's. What if a criminal gets the weapon.

Knives seem to be quite popular already. (And illegal to carry). If they managed to get their hands on pepper spray, I'll take my chances with getting sprayed over stabbed any day. Even better if I had the equivalent to fight back with.

By restricting law abiding people from having access to defend themselves you make the fight one way. By allowing people to have some sort of equipment you counter that. Take a page from the USA and see where the massacres occur. In areas where there are tighter restrictions on the law abiding.

Now before you think I'm going gun ho - I'm not saying that we go the way of America and give out lethal weapons - but you can learn from what's happened there where they have placed restrictions on the law abiding and the results and apply it to our situation...

As Gwion asked (A fair and reasonable question worth consideration):

"How would you guys suggest the law be changed so that 'decent' people can defend themselves but 'thugs/crims' can still be charged for carrying offensive weapons; or, do you just let everyone carry what ever they like and wait for the thugs to be caught with a weapon after a known offence, before they can be charged???" - a reasonable question that adds to the discussion.

As such, my suggestion would be to allow people to get a permit for carrying such items. (Similar to CC in America, but have it here with non lethal options). Requirements could include a clean record, law abiding, etc. It would have a two fold approach in my opinion:

1) It would allow people who are concerned, or even have a need to have some sort of defense available. (Such as those with IVO's against someone else)...

2) It would also give an incentive to people to have a clean record. If you have a good record, you can be trusted more. At present, good record or not - we're all untrusted.

The government rarely use incentives, and instead just try to go for penalties. Giving out incentives such as the ability to be trusted carrying such equipment may actually give people more of an incentive to do the right thing.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 18 Jan 2016, 3:12 pm

adam wrote:How about having some consideration of others who are less defensible than yourself.

Agreed.

I don't see many grandmothers getting the handbag swing up to speeds of 'necessary force'.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mich » 19 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

Faking a coughing fit and asking for a glass of water;

These are the dumbest things I have ever read.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Redwood » 19 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

Someone is mugging you in a car park...

"Pardon me, before you stab me would you have a glass of water?"

:lol:

You suck QLD Police :crazy:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 19 Jan 2016, 2:45 pm

OK - devils advocate here for a moment and trying to consider the 'other side'.

I think there's some psychological reasoning behind some of those suggestions.

One of the things I've seen taught in self defense is that if someone's about to attack you - you can try ask them a question. "What's the matter". It can get someone focused on the question and their response - delaying them giving you the upper hand of the first strike.

So, In this situation I guess they're thinking along the lines that if the attacker thinks you are suffering / choking - and you ask them for a drink - it is something they don't expect. It may jolt them into a different frame of mind and forget their initial intention, etc - maybe even enough to go searching for a drink.

In saying that - it would be an absolute last / desperate measure where "what have I got to lose" comes into play and there's no alternatives.

And let's face it - for many people - that's exactly the situation they will face themselves in if attacked in Australia. No other alternatives and doing anything is better than doing nothing.

It's not QLD police that "suck". They don't make the laws, just have to work with them.

Politicians have put them in a place where this is the best advise that they are able to give for what we are legally able to work with, or what they can legally recommend.

It's easy to put down someone else's work - it's harder to come up with a better solution:

So, as such - and for a bit of fun - what other / better legal recommendations can people come up with for self defense within the boundaries of our current laws for people who can not fend off their attackers such as Grandparents?

Qld police have come up with a list - can we better it?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

adam wrote:OK - devils advocate here for

Boom, you're dead. you were telling the rest to St. Peter.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 19 Jan 2016, 5:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFIudX2UIc Don't think anything needs to be said really!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Seik » 21 Jan 2016, 8:49 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but technically if you were carrying a banana for the purpose of self defence it would be an illegal weapon wouldn't it :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 21 Jan 2016, 9:11 am

Seik wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but technically if you were carrying a banana for the purpose of self defence it would be an illegal weapon wouldn't it :lol:

Or you could just be happy to see me :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Hatter » 21 Jan 2016, 1:39 pm

And if it's gone stale and black it's an Assault Banana :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics