Martin Bryant Coronial inquest

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Martin Bryant Coronial inquest

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 1:44 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:One could almost infer. That with exception of the victims. All other kinds of witnesses were not present that should have been.
Hey but the world works in funny coincidental ways hey.....

Indeed it does :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Anyone know why they made a Morgue truck with such a large body capacity (only one ever made apparently) and it was sent to Tassie for some reason a year or so earlier. :unknown:

Maybe because Tassie is the 2nd most violent, crime riddled state in Australia, after NT; per capita, that is!
???
Just offering possibilities.

What's the murder rate like but compared to other places? Strange how no where else in Aus Needed such a high capacity meat wagon, I guess we got lucky then sent to to Tassie hey. I believe it was sold off not long after P.A. I guess you Tassies became less violent after that? :D

Hey! I'm not Tasmanian, I just married one!

I can't remember the exact figures, just recall looking it up on ABS & AIC.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Jan 2016, 3:34 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Jan 2016, 4:08 pm

Of course there as a need for a 16 berth meat wagon :roll: ;

Mortality by assault in Tasmania, Year - Total (by firearm)
2004 3 ( 3 )
2005 7 ( 2 )
2006 2 ( 3 ) (<?)
2007 6 ( 2 )
2008 5 ( 0 )
2009 6 ( 0 )
2010 3 ( 0 )
2011 5 ( 4 )
2012 9 ( 1 )
2013 7 ( 2 )

So the capacity would be sufficient for 2 to 3 years of 'need' ..... maybe even 3 or 4 years in a pinch (pile em high)
c/-ABS
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 22 Jan 2016, 6:02 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Of course there as a need for a 16 berth meat wagon :roll: ;

2004 3 ( 3 )
2005 7 ( 2 )
2006 2 ( 3 ) (<?)
2007 6 ( 2 )
2008 5 ( 0 )
2009 6 ( 0 )
2010 3 ( 0 )
2011 5 ( 4 )
2012 9 ( 1 )
2013 7 ( 2 )

So the capacity would be sufficient for 2 to 3 years of 'need' ..... maybe even 3 or 4 years in a pinch (pile em high)
c/-ABS

So what do you do with the people murdered by other than firearm? Bake ''em on the roof?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 8:08 am

Title_II wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Of course there as a need for a 16 berth meat wagon :roll: ;

2004 3 ( 3 )
2005 7 ( 2 )
2006 2 ( 3 ) (<?)
2007 6 ( 2 )
2008 5 ( 0 )
2009 6 ( 0 )
2010 3 ( 0 )
2011 5 ( 4 )
2012 9 ( 1 )
2013 7 ( 2 )

c/-ABS

So what do you do with the people murdered by other than firearm? Bake ''em on the roof?

Haha! Good point. :unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 8:13 am

In all fairness, knowing Tassie, some one's brother probably owned the coach builders that built the wagon, and then their cousin needed a cheap refrigerated truck in '97.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jan 2016, 8:17 am

Title_II wrote:So what do you do with the people murdered by other than firearm? Bake ''em on the roof?

No, we can bake them all inside.....

Although this data is more recent, it demonstrates how few deaths every year in Tasmania.... there was absolutely no way you could anticipate that there would be, in such a relatively small/low death state such a sudden need....

Note the firearm deaths over that whole 10yr period would almost fit in the wagon (17) if the capacity was indeed 16.....it was to say the very least was excess to any reasonably anticipated needs....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 22 Jan 2016, 8:21 am

I guess I was not clear in my question. What does "firearm deaths" have to do with number of deaths? I mean, here in the US, "firearm murders" are only a little over half of murders. And drowning deaths. And overall deaths are hundreds of times that. A "firearm death" is a pretty darn unlikely way to die, so not sure what it has to do with planning for body disposals. That's like counting one body when you have 400 or 500 to deal with.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

Another good point, Title.

In Australia, on average, firearms traditionally account for well under 1/3 the total murder rate......

Also, Tasmanians are hopeless drivers..... Ok, so that was in bad taste. Point being, you need to assess the entire mortality rate of the state and not just death by firearm; or are you all supporting the 'anti' argument that firearms are the major cause of death in society???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jan 2016, 8:44 am

Of course there is little association, when there are several dozen officially reported assault categories, the numbers merely provide a comparison to the firearm death of PA1996(35) and how extraordinarily out of kilter that number was, no one could reasonably suggest there would be a mass casualty event....then shortly after dispose of the wagon to boot because there was no further need....

You know I would be the first to discount any statement proclaiming firearm deaths as relevant in isolation, that is, while discounting all other methods of assault(death)....that exactly what the greentards do in relation to suicide - they state that firearm suicide has decreases by a huge amount since 96 laws (384 to 162) and thats the huge success..... of course they NEVER mention there are now more suicides than there were in 96 (2393 then to 2520 )....but only the firearm stats matter to them
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jan 2016, 8:58 am

Over the last 22yrs the rate has varied between 10% and 30%,
Ten years ago it was 1 in 10 (10%) = 17 deaths
One year ago it was 1 in 6 (16%) = 35 deaths
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 10:00 am

Well, I can see that the timing is suspect. Given that Tassie has one of lowest state populations, the death rate wold have to be astronomical to warrant such a high capacity self loading automatic assault mortuary wagon.

My point, though, is don't discount Tasmanias capacity for back pocket deals; you need a meat truck? No worries, tax payers will build to spec and then you can buy it at %30 cost in 2years.... I'll just take a %5 cut each way....

Or, failing that, there's always just good old fashioned, plain and simple, piss poor management.

This is what an inquest is needed; to ascertain facts and allay speculation.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by adam » 22 Jan 2016, 10:51 am

Gwion wrote:In Australia, on average, firearms traditionally account for well under 1/3 the total murder rate......

And added to that, how many of those murders (or suicides) would still have occurred if there wasn't a firearm available as well:

If someone is intent on killing someone else - a firearm isn't the only weapon. Removing them (if it was possible) from criminals wouldn't stop murders - they'd just move onto the next available option.

Remember the mother who murdered 8 children in Cairns a little over a year ago. If she had access to a firearm she may have used that. The stats and media would have blamed the firearm as the problem. Yet she didn't have access to a firearm, and it did not stop her from committing murder.

But taking away guns from LFO's and leaving them in the hands of the criminals makes many people feel like they're contributing positively to society and sleep better at night. Truth doesn't matter - just our ideologies. :crazy:
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Jan 2016, 4:42 pm

Gwion wrote:
Also, Tasmanians are hopeless drivers..... Ok, so that was in bad taste.

I second that notion. The amount of wankers that get their drivers license is just astounding.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 4:47 pm

From reading the AIC website, homocide in Australia is by and large an act of impulse and opportunity. You are most likely to be killed if you are a male, drinking booze at home with someone you know. Weapons used are predominantly cheap kitchen knives or blunt instruments but it is most common to be beaten to death with fists and feet.

Firearms come in way way down the list and always have, they did even when it was common to have firearms more readily to hand in s cupboard, on a shelf or behind a door. Point is, when some is acting impulsively, they don't stop and say, 'just wait there while I grab my gun to shoot you'; they just grab what is at hand and get to work.

Look it up on the Australian Institute of Criminology website.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 22 Jan 2016, 6:54 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by trekin » 25 Jan 2016, 7:52 am

Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 25 Jan 2016, 9:01 am

If i lived in SA i'd get out now fellas haha
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Jan 2016, 9:25 am

If theres a mass casualty event, not necessarily mass fatality, a bunch of ambos will be sent ASAFP.... I cant see the benefit of an ambulance 'bus' with lots of seat and stretchers and still only 2 clinicians..... What's more concerning is using the example of Schoolies...... FMD I was young once... BUT if the event requires a van that caters for 12 kids sufficiently injured to require medical attention and and Ambulance... then the problem isnt the lack of medical capacity - IT THE SCHOOLIES EVENT!!!

I wonder exactly how many mass-casualty event occur every year in SA, in Adelaide?? To warrant this :unknown: perhaps it would be wise to steer clear of public events for a while :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Spudman75 » 25 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

More likely they have it for music festivals. Next you know you will be legally allowed to take drugs then head to the bus for 10 minutes to see if you are going to die.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Redwood » 11 Feb 2016, 9:43 am

AusTac wrote:If i lived in SA i'd get out now fellas haha

Flee east to the promised land :lol:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria